Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
SLD for a rock climber/heavy exerciser

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLD for a rock climber/heavy exerciser  (Read 11445 times)

ginger

SLD for a rock climber/heavy exerciser
« on: June 21, 2006, 06:17:42 AM »

Good morning!
I took up rock climbing this winter and I climb 2-3 times per week.  I've added a good deal of muscle, but I haven't taken off the layer of fat around my core.  The result?  I'm certainly fitter now than I was before climbing, but I'm up another 5-10 pounds or so. 

I also run/walk and or do yoga the other days of the week.  (Occasionally, I mix climbing and yoga on the same day as they are very complimentary.)  I'm generally ravenous when I get home in the afternoon, and my midmorning and midafternoon dosing of oil seemed to help this.  However, I'm wondering if afternoon sugar water would better serve my energy needs on evenings that I climb.  My first SLD evening climbing session didn't go too well.  Energy was down and recovery time was up.  My first SLD mid day climbing session went fine though.  (And come to think of it, I drank sugar water through the session--the only time I've tried sugar water.  Maybe I'm answering my own question...)

Does anyone have tips for active persons doing the SLD?  Thanks!

FYI, I'm 5'4" and 146 pounds as of this morning.  I consider 120 my ideal weight, though with my current muscle mass, I'm guessing 130 would be just fine.

melissacb

Re: SLD for a rock climber/heavy exerciser
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:12:46 PM »

Hi Ginger-your plight seems similar to mine.  I am 5"3" and weigh 145lbs.  i am very active with running/elliptical/strength training and the odd hike here and there.  no matter what I do, I cannot lose 10 lbs so I decided to try the SLD.  I have been reading the posts to see if there is anyone else who seems similar to me.  I just started last thursday and I am in the experimentation stage.  I have finally settled on LOO because I have a penchant for sugar.  I am dosing in the eve before bed (about 2 tbsp) and right after lunch.  hunger seems overhwelming to me in the afternoon so I decided that would be best.  I have noticed a reduction in my after 4 pm snacking also.  I still get hunger pangs but these are controllable.  I can't seem to stomach the ELOO in the Am.  I did read alot of the posts and it seems that many dedicated exercisers don't seem to have much success with the SLD.  It's hard to tell why becasue many times people don't post their weight vs height (which makes it easier) but I think it is because many of these people are close to their ideal weights and they have small amounts to lose which takes longer.  Me-I want to start with 10 lbs, see how easy/hard it is to maintain then possibly up to 20 lbs.
Melissa

ginger

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:07:43 AM »

Melissa, sounds like we're in a similar boat with our hunger patterns and exercise.  I should have mentioned in my post that this time last year, I was between 125 and 130, and I've never in my life been over 140.  I had gained some weight over the holidays and was around 140 when I started climbing.  The scale just kept going up.  I saw as high as 152, so I'm glad to be on the downswing. 

I like the sugar a little too much too, I think.  I got some sugar cubes yesterday and mindlessly munched almost 40 of them!  It was during my flavorless window, but holy crap, who does that?

New rule.  I can do sugar, but only in water!

I'm taking a forced break from climbing for the next week and a half, so we'll see what happens then.  (I'll also be on vacation, so that should be interesting...)

melissacb

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 09:31:15 AM »

Hope you're having fun on vacation!  I lost the thread and then got really busy otherwise I would have responded earlier. 
I am seeing some results-I am feeling fuller with smaller portions and my sweet tooth seems to have lost it's fangs.  Example-it is normal for  me to eat one of those 2 portion bags of m&m's in one sitting, but on Friday at the movies, I only ate half.  And, weirder still, I still have possession of the bag and there are still m&ms in there.  I am still experiencing hunger pangs-but the pangs are resistable-i.e. I don't feel the need to go find food and consume it like I used to.   I am finding that I don't crave the sweet salty stuff nearly as much as I did prior to starting the SLD.  I started to take the eloo midmoring and midafternoon and this varies depending on my schedule or if I interrupt my no food hour with a mindless munch, then I have to start the hour all over again!  It seems to be working so far.
let me know how you are doing!  Are you trying to stay on the program while on vacation?  Have fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18