sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am no longer afraid to eat as much as I want of whatever I want. (This might be the best Shangri-la benefit of all.) -- Heidi

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greek Dips, Tahini and Tzatziki  (Read 2733 times)

falconcy

Greek Dips, Tahini and Tzatziki
« on: June 20, 2006, 05:21:05 pm »

Here are a couple of Greek dips that will expand your taste a little, if you're stuck on a typical American Diet, this should add some new flavours. You might find commercially made stuff, but it is well worth the effort to make your own.

Try getting some Tahini from a Greek or Continental Deli, but the raw stuff and not the premixed commercial stuff. Tahini is sesame seed paste.

Mix about 1/4 cup Tahini with some freshly minced garlic, add some EVOO, lemon juice and water and keep alternating them until you get a fairly creamy mixture with a slightly runny texture. Add chopped french (flat leaf) parsley. This is great for dipping warm pitta bread in or even fresh bread of any kind.

Pitta bread can be any type according to what you like to eat, wholemeal are probably better from a diet pint of view.

You could also make kebabs (note the spelling, kabobs are nothing like em :p) with pork, chicken, lamb or beef, put them in the pitta with some chopped onion, chopped cucumber, chopped tomato and finely shredded white cabbage. Drizzle tahini dip onto it.

Or make some Tzatziki, finely grate cucumber, drain, add some greek yogurt (note, you could use any plain old yogurt, but the greek type is way better, try and get an imported one made in Greece) freshly minced garlic and dried mint. Mix well. Either dip pitta bread into it or put it into the pitta with your kebabs.

This should be a whole new taste experience to many of you.

akhdar

Re: Greek Dips, Tahini and Tzatziki
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:10 pm »

I love Tzatziki! Or Cacik as it is known in Turkey.

Another nice way to make it is Persian style -- adding chopped walnuts, currants (few, they are strong), salt, pepper, sumaq, and olive oil to the yoghurt, mint, cucumber, and garlic mix. Also, substituting dill for the mint is a nice taste treat.

Thanks for the recipes, Falconcy!

aleeb

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 09:48:12 pm »

I always put lemon juice in my Cacik (Pronounced Jajik). I ususally use garlic, salt, and dill but mint sounds interesting too. You can also add a dollop of sour cream to thicken it up a bit. I could eat it by the spoonful!

Appetite suppression works well until you start reading the recipe board...

aleeb

started on Sept. 23rd, 2006

falconcy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:02:48 am »

Indians also do something similar, using either cucumber or finely chopped onions to make cucumber or onion raitha.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18