Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Appetite lessened, but psychological food addiction remains?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Appetite lessened, but psychological food addiction remains?  (Read 26863 times)

heatherlyn

I first found this book when I was in the bookstore, seeking a book on combating psychological food addictions.
I picked SLD up instead, thinking "boy, if I don't have an appetite, then I won't crave food, right?"

Wrong.

I'm finding that my appetite is lessened, but it obviously doesn't do anything for my PSYCHOLOGICAL issues around food. (Not that it claims to- this is just MY self-experimentation coming to light).

I eat when I'm bored.
I eat when I'm reading.
I eat MOSTLY in social situations, where "hanging out" means "going to get lunch/dinner/dessert/coffee".
I was always taught to clear my plate.
PLUS, I'm used to eating 5 times a day or so, to keep my blood sugar steady, so I don't get migraines.

Now that I'm on SLD and have LESS appetite, I'm still struggling with all these previous "mental scripts". Like now, I'm sitting here at 9:55 AM, after taking my oil at 7:20 AM, and I'm not really hungry. By now, pre-SLD, I would have had a growly stomach and gone to get some breakfast food.

My brain, not my stomach, is now telling me "gosh, you should eat some food. You haven't had breakfast! eat something!!!!"

Has anyone else had this, and if so....how do you deal with it? 
Is this just a really good opportunity to re-train myself out of these psychological eating habits, since my body isn't going along with my brain at the moment?
-----------------------------------------------
http://heatherlyn.wordpress.com/
No day but today!

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: Appetite lessened, but psychological food addiction remains?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »

How long have you been on SLD, and have you seen any weight loss despite continued eating? I would think if your appetite has decreased, you could eat that many times a day and still make progress because you're eating less in a sitting.

I wonder if you're getting the full effect; I couldn't possibly eat as much as I used to. I could eat more than I'm eating, but not by much.
Running weight tally:

porkypine

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »

I am still working through issues like this, though maybe not as extreme. I really enjoy food as part of social events, even those as small as going out to dinner with my husband.

I would suggest, unless you are at work, now would be a good time to force yourself out the door and on a brief walk around the neighborhood. At least it will get you away from food and thinking about something else in your day. I think the best thing is to try to slowly change the habits you associate with food into habits you associate with something else. As Seth mentions in the book, maybe chewing gum or drinking water when you are reading.

heatherlyn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »

I've only been on SLD a few days- so not enough to really quantify yet.  I'm just sort of wondering about this as I come into it....

With my addiction to food, even when I'm full, and my body says stop, sometimes my mind says "eat more anyway". I have a hard time stopping when I feel full- my brain almost prefers me to feel ABSOLUTELY STUFFED.

It's really hard, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this.  I'm not morbidly obese or anything, I'm 5'8" and around 184, but my body feels best when I'm around 160....I go through periods where I binge more until I'm stuffed, and other times when I can just eat normally.....
No day but today!

heatherlyn

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »

Porky- thank you for the suggestions. I was actually out for a quick walk right before I came back to the forums- it's a bit harder, since I"m on floor 28 of a building in san francisco, but...I took the elevator down and went around the block, at least!
No day but today!

splitbamboo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 10:42:50 AM »

The other part of the diet is set point reduction. It will be interesting to see if your weight goes down even with your current "habits".

Hun.e.b

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

I'm an emotional eater too, especially when I'm bored.  Which is  my own fault its not as though i dont have anything to do to keep me busy.  But I will admit I'm addicted to food.  I think you just cant expect anything to magically take that away.  You've got to be conscious of it, find something else to do besides eating.  I still love food and probably always will but it cant rule your life.  Eat only what you LOVE.  Eat to live not the other way around.  I really dont think its magically going to go away, but if you try it can get better, at least with the hunger not being there it should be easier to just say no and do something else.  I hope anyway!

~melissa

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »

heatherlyn, keep in mind that admonitions about food along the lines of "you must eat three meals/day" or "you must eat often to keep blood sugar steady" are unlikely to be true for most people. Our brains and bodies were shaped to work well under Stone Age conditions, when there was no steady predictable supply of food. I am going to blog about experiments that imply that skipping meals is good for you.

heatherlyn

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »

Seth- thanks, I'll look forward to seeing that info.
I've always been sensitive with my blood sugar, I tend to get spikes and crashes, but that's probably a lot due to WHAT I'm eating, rather than how my body just IS.  When I was on Atkins, it was much easier to not get wild peaks and valleys in my energy level/hunger. 

The thing is, being prone to migraines, makes me SO wary of making changes, that I just tend to roll over and accept "ok, must eat frequently, or might get a migraine"..... I suppose I will have to go out on a limb and experiment with some RISK! 

(Ha, maybe if I do get a migraine, I can then experiment with the face-slapping/pinching thing that another poster mentioned in the "self-experimentation" thread on migraines.....)
No day but today!

falconcy

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »

I found the first few days were harder to break from the routine. I wanted to eat even though I was not really hungry. I got through it by keeping occupied.

I'm gradually breaking the routine now, though it usually takes around 21 days to break a habit completely.

This is pretty amazing, I'm now eating around 1000 cals a day off the top of my head, must run it through FitDay to get a better picture (FitDay for the uninitiated is a website that offers free diet diaries, very handy for keeping track of just how much you did eat and breaking it down into a lot of detail with numerous statistics, www.fitday.com if you want to check it out)

I'm not weighing, but in measurements, I lost a couple of inches on the chest and an inch on the waist. Not bad for a week. I prefer measurements, it gives you much more feedback than weighing. Must take some foto's too, they can give a lot of visual feedback too.

barbinsky

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »

Thanks for posting this, heatherlyn--great topic!!  As I've posted elsewhere, I also have issues with "non-physical hunger" eating.  I definitely have a voice that tells me it must be bad/weird/unadvisable to skip a meal!  Like you, I eat 5 times a day.  I'm very used to eating in the afternoon when I get tired. I think the food gives me something to do and gives me a little boost, both physically and mentally/emotionally.    I have not yet been able to go a whole afternoon without eating something---that would be a minor (ok, perhaps major) miracle for me.  And also I love eating socially, especially with my boyfriend (just as porkypine mentioned).  I think that for me to have success on SLD, I have 2 challenges: 1) find out how best to get the SLD method to work on my physical hunger, and 2) retrain myself not feel bad/scared about not eating 5 times a day.  It's a toughy... Look forward to reading Seth's blog on skipping meals and hearing more from all of you!

porkypine

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 07:35:12 AM »

Let me just echo that I am looking forward to the data on skipping meals. As I mentioned in my progress post, I am very envious of Seth's ability to skip meals completely for a day or two. I have a pretty standard routine every day, which is closely tied to my job, which I now realize is closely tied to food. My entire working life I have taken a lunch hour right around noon. Wouldn't everyone go nuts if they couldn't? I try to shop at Target or something to have something else to do during that time, but that doesn't always work. Now I bring my digital camera to work with me to see if I can find some interesting photos around town on my lunch hour, but I don't work in a very exciting place so there aren't many to be had.

If I could reinforce that skipping meals is okay by referring to scientific research, it would certainly help.

drouhard

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 10:27:12 AM »

What I have done for this is keep around some foods that are low calorie and good for you for those times that I'm either a little hungry or not hungry but just want to eat something.  Tomatoes or a boiled egg work well for me

tom

bigbaddar

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »

Besides the boiled eggs, I use dried apricots, walnuts, or raisins.  These are the new "munchies" in my house.

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

Jim

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »

Heatherlyn,
I guess that's a common problem. Allow me to recommend a book that I'm reading that is designed to turn off the drive to overeat. It is Top Notch and just may be something that will help. I think between that and SLD I may have found the holy grail. It's 'The 3-Day Solution Plan' by Laurel Mellin. With both books we have a fighting chance against this dreaded malady of overeating.
Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18