Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Beneke Method

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beneke Method  (Read 38164 times)

BenekeMethod

Beneke Method
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »

Update on the "Beneke Method"
I am Timothy Beneke; Seth writes about my weight loss and method, on pages 110-112 of his book. Seth requested that I provide an update on what he generously calls the "Beneke Method".

A few points:

-- To anyone struggling to lose weight using Seth's ideas -- take heart! You can do it, with moderate, non-heroic effort. I started using Seth's ideas in November of 1999 and am currently 97 pounds lighter than I was when I began -- going from 280 to 183. I have lost 30 pounds (from 280 to 250) and kept it off for nearly 6 years; lost 70 pounds (from 280 to 210) and kept it off for more than 2 years; and have lost 90 pounds and kept it off for almost a year. I don't think of myself as particularly strong willed. I had 4 yo-yos between 1982 and 1999, in which I lost and regained substantial amounts of weight, using the wrong methods, that involved enduring hunger. It's all about method. I have used eating weak tasting/low GI foods; the sugar water; the olive oil; and the Beneke Bypassing Taste Mush Method to lose weight. I currently consume about 200 calories of olive oil per day, and varying amounts of mush, from 500 to maybe 2000 a day consumed taste free. I only do the 2000 when I go to complete taste fasting.

-- Making use of Seth's ideas does require you to be in touch with your hunger and eat when you are hungry and not eat when you are not hungry. Fortunately, this is not that hard to do. But if you eat when you're not hungry, it won't work as well.

-- The Beneke Method is really the same as the olive oil method, with a bit of a twist: in both cases you get taste-free calories. With the olive oil, the oil itself has very little taste. With the Beneke Method, the food is cooked to just the right consistency so that it can be placed in your mouth, avoiding your tongue, and floated down your throat with a gulp of water, taste free. It's the consistency, not the taste itself that enables you to get taste-free calories. The good thing about it is that it enables you to get from zero to 100% of your calories with as high-quality nutrition as you wish, taste free. When I found myself stuck at 210 pounds getting about 25% of my calories taste free (in the form of olive oil and mush), I got impatient and started going whole days doing 100% of my calories taste free. It's not as strange as it seems. In fact it felt liberating to just step away from the whole process of eating and tasting. Going to what I variously call taste celibacy, taste fasting, and taste liberation, I lost the remaining weight rapidly and easily.

In addition to assuming that taste-free calories lower hunger, which in my experience is dramatically obvious, the Beneke Method assumes that nutritious calories assuage hunger better than less nutritious ones. So aside from having enough powder in the mush to make it the right consistency, the only consideration is getting great nutrition.

I'm writing a long article about all of this so will stop here. Good luck!
Timothy Beneke

[MOD EDIT: This is now stickified. Beneke Balls have been forgotten--and this is a valid method for those of us who have stubborn fat. Read and enjoy.]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:00:14 PM by bekel »

Nile

Looking forward to your article - nm
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »

nm

mulville

Re: Beneke Method
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:08:34 PM »

Could you explain what "mush" is made up of and how thinned down is it?  Thankyou, Mulville

Jamin

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:50:48 PM »

Could you explain what "mush" is made up of and how thinned down is it?  Thankyou, Mulville
The mush is described in the book on page 111.  If you haven't gotten the book yet, you really should.  I just got my book after trying the SLD for a week just based on what I was reading on-line. The book is well worth the money and read.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:51:48 PM »

The mush is described in the book on page 111.  If you haven't gotten the book yet, you really should.  I just got my book after trying the SLD for a week just based on what I was reading on-line. The book is well worth the money and read.

No kidding, the book is between eleven and twelve dollars at amazon.com, I find I save more than that in food not eaten every week.

SFC

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »

I used to spend $50-$60 per week at the Grocery stores for all the meals I ate at my office . . . I now spend $15 ONCE A MONTH on ELOO and Fructose.  HUGE savings.

mulville

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »

I did buy the book-but a friend borrowed it so I couldn't look up the mush info, now I remember it is actually in the form of pellets, which didn't interest me at the time, but now, hey, why not try mush pellets? Mulville

Ann H

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »

Thanks, Tim! It's great to see you online again after your posts at Freakonomics.

BTW, the final "straw" that sent me leaping and dancing through my house and shouting out various joyful bursts was seeing your before and after pictures at Freakonomics. After all my investigation of Seth's methods, that final seeing cemented my believing. (And you look like such a nice guy, BTW! :) )

Anyway, since, I started up a blog and lost 20 pounds and all my fat fear. I'm sure hundreds of others have been similarly inspired so far. So thanks to you, as well as Seth!

Cheers,
Ann H
http://shangrilawatcher.blogspot.com/

porkypine

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 08:57:24 AM »

I purchased and read the book, but the page you refer to is somewhat vague about how the capsules are made. It just gives an ingredient list and describes how the capsules were made with a very tiny spoon. I definitely want to know more about the ingredients (like a recipe? how much of each item?), the type of spoon used (I have never seen one small enough to form swallow-able capsules) and if they were baked or what, for how long.

This is something I would like to do, but I need more information.

BenekeMethod

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »

The mush has to be not crusty and not soft; just in between. Take a smallish spoon, put it in your mouth trying to avoid the tongue; and quickly take a big gulp of water and float it down your throat. It's real easy to do. If the mush is too soft you may get some taste; if the mush is too hard, you may get some indigestion. It's easy to figure out the required consistency. Also, if you get some residue of taste just wash out your mouth and spit into a sink. Think of yourself as the taste police!

I'm in transit but will check emails daily, so I'm happy to explain more.

Good luck. The mush method enables you to get as many calories as you want
taste free and with great nutrition. I find that as long as I'm generally enjoying the rest of my life, I can go as tasteless as I want. I currently am 98 pounds lighter than when I started applying seth's theory. I regard his theory as a god send.

Cheers,
Tim

Dana

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »

This may sound gross to some people, but isn't their rabbit food in the form of pellets that you could swallow? I think I saw some made from oats. Hey, it may be called rabbit food, but if it's just oatmeal then that's not so gross is it? :shock:

raina

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 03:12:08 PM »

I gave this a try today.  I'm trying to get a better feel for the consistancy you're going for.  I started out with something about the consistancy of sticky biscuit dough.  It was in a big soft clump.  I made it into little balls with my fingers and swallowed it without chewing or anything.  This was definitely giving me indigestion, so I added some water to get to the consistancy of thick oatmeal.  It was still clumping together, but was very soft and sticky.  This was better stomach wise, but now I was having the problem that it was sticking to the spoon so much I couldn't get it to come loose in my mouth in a clump and was getting a lot of flavor, so I gave up for now.  I got down about 100 calories worth total, but it took a while and I drank a LOT of water.  My guess is that these were both too thick, but I'm not sure.  Could you tell me, does either of these sound like the right consistancy?  Is yours so sticky?

I made it from brown rice flour, soy flour, oat bran, and flax seed and cooked it for about 3-4 minutes on the stove.

Let me tell you, I'm definitely not hungry after that, if only because I drank so much water. :)

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »

I gave this a try today.  I'm trying to get a better feel for the consistancy you're going for.  I started out with something about the consistancy of sticky biscuit dough.  It was in a big soft clump.  I made it into little balls with my fingers and swallowed it without chewing or anything.  This was definitely giving me indigestion, so I added some water to get to the consistancy of thick oatmeal.  It was still clumping together, but was very soft and sticky.  This was better stomach wise, but now I was having the problem that it was sticking to the spoon so much I couldn't get it to come loose in my mouth in a clump and was getting a lot of flavor, so I gave up for now.  I got down about 100 calories worth total, but it took a while and I drank a LOT of water.  My guess is that these were both too thick, but I'm not sure.  Could you tell me, does either of these sound like the right consistancy?  Is yours so sticky?

If it's sticky, why not roll a ball of it in one of the flours you're using?
Running weight tally:

Ann H

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 07:48:41 AM »

You can also employ an old baker's trick: pinch off balls of the stuff with oily hands and smear a bit of oil all over the surface. Should slide down better, and add calories.

Let us know, brave experimenter!!

Ann

raina

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »

Gave it a try again today.  This time I added more water and cooked it longer to a consistancy that was somewhat between the two I mentioned before, but this time it was less sticky and more gelatinous.  I was able to put pieces on an oiled spoon and float it right down.  It still sounds a bit weird to me, and my husband thinks I'm nuts, but it sure does pack an appetite punch so I think I'll keep doing it sometimes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18