Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Beneke Method

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beneke Method  (Read 38391 times)

BenekeMethod

Re: Beneke Method
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 07:58:40 AM »

Hi Porkypine,
Yes, great pictures! (And great name!) The test will be whether it goes down hard and is rough on your digestion, in which case you should add just a touch of water and stir it in; or if a lot of taste comes off the mush when you float it down your throat, in which case you should heat it some and let some water evaporate. When you freeze it and defrost it, it tends to become more crumbly.

I use a microwave to heat mine up and can intuitively estimate pretty well how long it takes to get the right consistency.

Happy wedding.
Tim

porkypine

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 12:20:11 PM »

I should add for clarification that I used 1 Tablespoon per part in the recipe mentioned by Tim. His recipe stated 6 parts rice flour, 3 parts garbanzo bean flour, etc. So I made mine with 6 Tbps. rice flour, 3 Tbsp. garbanzo bean flour, etc. All total, it was about 15 Tbsp. of flours, so I added 15 Tbsp. of veggie/fruit mixute to make it even. Using a direct Tbsp. equivalent makes quite a bit of mush. It might be good to start with a Tbsp. if you are just trying this for the first time.

falconcy

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 12:34:20 PM »

Might give this a try and see what I can do with it once the book arrives. Most of the stuff should be available here. Garbanzo Flour is also known as Gram Flour, and can be purchased from Indian Ethnic Grocers.

drouhard

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »

you can get all of the flour ingredients from "Red Mill" ( the same company as pictured in porkypine's post) at there website.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/index.php

drouhard

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2006, 05:23:15 PM »

Tim
When you use your method.  Is the mush cooked enough that it falls off the spoon at the back of the mouth, then you wash it down.

Or does it stick to the spoon, and then you wash it off the spoon and down the throat with the spoon still in your mouth?
Thanks
Tom

BenekeMethod

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2006, 06:13:41 PM »

Hi Tom,
Standing over my kitchen sink, I hold the spoon with my right hand, a glass of water with my left, and lift the spoon with a clump of mush to my mouth, and "grab" the mush off the spoon with my lips and try to avoid getting it on my tongue; then I quickly take a big gulp of water and float the clump of mush down my throat. If there is a residue of taste in my mouth, I immediately wash out my mouth and spit into the sink, sometimes a couple of times or more. I think of myself as the taste police trying to eliminate any taste from my mouth. Often there is zero taste, but sometimes there is a vague residue.

With a little practice, it's not hard to heat the mush just enough to get the right texture, and to float it down with little taste. I make a lot of mush at one time, enough to last me three or four days if I were going totally tasteless, and keep it in the fridge.

I plan to post a before and after picture when I get around to it.

Good luck!
Tim

drouhard

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 11:41:58 PM »

Thanks Tim
I had the mush for the first time today.  The first time I tasted it out of curiosity, then practiced your method.  To me it had very little taste even without washing it down.  When practicing I was trying to dump a clump at the back of my tongue, then wash it down.  Even tried rolling it into little balls, then dumping it off the spoon at the back of my throat, but that took a long time to consume very much.

As far as the rinse and spit thing - It would seem that if you get a taste, that rinsing your mouth out would be a good idea, but it also seems that at that point you may as well swallow the rinse/water as spit it out since its already been swishing around the mouth and you've already sensed what taste there is.

What think?

Tom

BenekeMethod

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »

Hi Tom,
Probably either way is fine. I add water and rinse, just to try to be thorough so that after I stop, there will be little after taste. You don't want there to be enough taste so that you start noticing and liking it; that would be a bad sign. I never have had enough to really notice or like it.

Also there can be an issue of how much water you consume, at least for me. Sometimes when I'm going 100% tasteless, I must drink a lot of water to do the mush, and I'd rather have less than more. Especially if I'm going out. I'm 56 and find that I have to go more than I used to...
Tim

SFC

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:47 AM »

Have been trying Tim's mush approach for four fill days now, today being my 5th.  Excellent early results.  Previously had been doing 500 - 600 cals of flavorless calories before (SW, ELOO, or Protein drink, drinken so as to be flavorless), followed by upwards of 1,300 - 1,500 regular calories.  Since I consume all my flavorless calories as the first calories of my day, the 500 to 600 (sometimes 700) would be required to get me to dinner time. (This includes an afternoon 4 mile run, by the way.)  This week, I've been doing about 200 calories (mistake in my earlier post that said 300) per day of the "mush" followed by 100 to 200 calories of the SW or ELOO.  First observation is that with the very nutritional mush, eaten so as to be completely flavorless, I'm needing fewer calories (200 to 300 fewer) to get me through to dinner time.  Second observation is that I'm filling up much more quickly at dinner, and overall consuming at least 300 to 500 fewer overall calories per day without feeling any less satisfied.  Third observation is that before this week, I had been essentially plateaued for a couple of months (although would have been fine had the needle never moved again since I'm pretty close to the bottom of where I'm going to be).  This week I'm down 1 - 1.5 lbs since Sunday.  That's a very encouraging result.

From an implementation standpoint, I started the week bringing a little container of mush (200 cals worth) to work with me and would dip a little mush out with a spoon and then, with my fingers, form into small mush balls that I could drop into the back of my mouth, swallowing and  chasing with water.  This was very messy and time consuming and was taking too long to do.  So, last night, I pre-made the balls all at once (with greased fingers), rolled them in powdered milk to keep them from sticking together and separated the layers in the container with waxpaper.  This morning I was able to open the container and pop down 10 in about one minute -- no mess and no time at all.  Almost as quick as the ELOO or SW (not counting the production time).  I think next week I will make the entire week's batch 'o balls all at once -- much more efficient that way.

Ann H

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »

Freaking brilliant, as always, SFC!

I, too, am turning to the mush, as my overworked-and-overfed-for-energy self is starting to gain a bit of weight again. I also can't take time to cook well for the next few days, so I think mush days folowed by fresh fruit & tofu nights might be a good solution: way better than the only other alternative, which is pizza or other standard convenience foods.

And I could pop down your balls while sitting at the computer, SFC! (Sounds a bit funny, dunnit. :) )

Will update as well!      Cheers!  Ann H

SFC

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 08:47:49 AM »

Ann,

I had two funny thoughts as I was writing my last post -- one was the Alec Baldwin "Pete's Schweaty Balls / NPR talk show" skit from Saturday Night Live, and the other was the "I Love Lucy" candy factory episode.

Lot's of luck!

BenekeMethod

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 12:16:30 PM »

Hi Everybody,
I'm posting a couple of before and after pictures. The before is from March 1999, when I weighed roughly 280; the after (taken by Seth) from September 2005 when I weighed about 180. I'm now three or four pounds heavier than the 2005 picture and will post recent pictures as soon as my friend downloads them to her computer.

I hope the pictures give hope and encouragement to all. All the weight lost relied on Seth's theory and method, or my method, which is an extension of his theory. It's not that hard to do!

Before -- March 1999

After -- September 2005

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 12:19:07 PM »

Holy cow! You look great, Beneke! I'm assuming you're at your goal weight now?
Running weight tally:

mulville

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »

Wow, I'm planning to jump on the "mush wagon" as soon as I get the stuff together.

Ann H

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 09:06:31 PM »

Hee hee, yep, someone should do up a comic pic. An old time wagon chain heading into "Shangri-La" (where thin people jump about exuberantly) with Tim running the chow wagon and ladling out the--er--mush. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18