Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Beneke Method

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Beneke Method  (Read 36589 times)

Dianne

Re: Beneke Method
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 07:59:01 PM »

I'm new to this whole idea, but I'm having a thought.  Would it be possible to make something with more of a milkshake type consistency and suck it thru a straw pretty far back in your throat so you can't taste it?  I'm gonna try it and let you all know how it goes...

BenekeMethod

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 09:54:22 PM »

Hi Dianne,
I'd be curious to see how the straw works; be careful not to choke on it. I would think you could be vulnerable to choking getting liquids back in your throat. I find the mush so easy to do that I've never thought of  liquid through a straw. Maybe a curved straw that goes far back would work.
Tim

Dianne

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 07:15:28 AM »

Hi Tim, thanks for your reply. 
I did try the straw this morning.  I made a simple mix of cottage cheese, milk (all fat free of course) and some ground flax seed, blended till smooth.  It was only partly successful, as I couldn't get the straw far back enough on my tongue to allow for suction without overspill on the back of my tongue.  So I did the best I could and followed each try with gulps of water.  I think I'm going to have to try your mush method.  It sounds complicated, but I'm sure it's probably MUCH simpler than it sounds once you try it just one time.  I'll report back!
Thanks again!
Dianne

spired

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 07:46:12 AM »

If you're looking for pellet food, there's always pet food made for monkeys.  There's a guy that tried eating it for a week...he's not dead, but certainly wasn't happy eating only that for the week.  http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

porkypine

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 11:07:00 AM »

Well, I am really intrigued, but am going to put off my experimentation for about a week. I am going to my brother's wedding this weekend and it is one of those situations where it would attract way too much attention if I just ate nothing at all (especially at the prices the parents are paying.)

I did, however, purchase the flours today. They were available at my local health food store. I will purchase the veggies when I return and begin.

However, I am having trouble getting my mind around the floating mush concept, and I don't like the idea of sticking anything down the back of my throat. I have decided instead to put my mush inside large empty vegetarian capsules, which I know I can handle no problem. I plan on making the mush and filling up the individual capsules with a pastry-bag type contraption (i.e. the end cut off a mush-filled baggie), then storing them in the fridge until needed. I ordered my capsules from here:

http://www.cap-m-quik.com

since my health food store did not carry them for some reason.

I am concerned about consistency, but I imagine sealing the mush up in a capsule shouldn't matter too much as long as it stays soft. I will update this thread after I return from the wedding and begin this project in earnest.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 11:22:15 AM »

The mixture is a little thicker than mush. You can make it into little capsules by itself. Then you just swallow them with water, if I remember correctly.

BenekeMethod

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »

Hi All,
Whatever works is fine. But I want to emphasize how, with a little practice, it is easy to learn to create the right consistency and happily float a lot of food down your mouth and digest it easily. The capsules are an extra step that you shouldn't need.

But that is something everyone must discover for themselves.

Tim

jzkc

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »

Maybe I've missed it somewhere, Tim (it's been a couple months since I read the book), but how do you know how many calories you're getting by eating the mush?

SFC

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 07:41:25 PM »

Just for experimentation's sake, I started trying Tim's method.  I mixed the batch up on Sunday and had some yesterday and today (Monday and Tuesday).  Early results very interesting.  Normally, would need ~ 500 - 600 cals of oil, SW, or protein powder shake (imbibed so as to be essentially flavorless) to get me to dinner time (with no other food). Yesterday and today, needed only 300 cals of mush (taken per Tim's approach) to get me to 7:00pm, at which point I've had a dinner.  This includes a 4 mile run both days.  Will keep you posted over the next week or so.

Also, re: your question jzkc, here's how I've tracked.  I created a mush with boiled, then liquified vegetables, protein powder, garbonzo bean powder, etc and when I made the mixture, I kept track of total calories in the whole batch (~800 cals). I then divided into 4 equal parts (200 cals per portion) and put into small plastic containers. Can easily and pretty accurately approximate based on how much of each container I've eaten.  So there you have it. . .

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 08:46:09 PM »

A different version of the Beneke method, you might say, is to make a highly nutritious mixture and then add random spices. (See my latest blog post, "Spices: A New Kind of Vitamin?" for why you might prefer randomly flavored to tasteless.) I've been doing that. You eat it normally. It's like a protein shake or meal replacement, but much cheaper and because of the heavy dose of spices possibly much healithier. I'm not trying to lose weight but a mixture with a few hundred calories is very filling, I've noticed.

BenekeMethod

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 08:54:31 PM »

Hi JZKC,
I actually mostly don't know with precision how many calories I'm getting with the mush. I did calculations when I started a couple of years back. Now I estimate the percentage of calories that are taste free. It's obviously easy on those occasional days when I go 100% tasteless; or when I just taste a little. I always go at least a fourth tasteless. So these are rough estimates. When I go a third or a half tasteless I am just estimating.

If I find myself gaining, I up the tasteless calories. I'm still experimenting; I'm curious to see how far the mush can take me. If I go a couple of months at 80% or so tasteless, how thin will I get? I've been from 177-189 since last August and am around 183 or so now, which is a 97 pound loss total. I'm also curious to see if, as I do more taste free calories, over time, I will need fewer taste free to stay relatively thin. I have the impression that losing weight through hunger, which I did a lot when I was younger, is the opposite of losing weight through getting tasteless calories. Losing weight through enduring hunger always backfired on me and I ended up gaining a lot more. Losing weight weight through going tasteless seems to reduce my general hunger levels over the long term.

Time will tell.
Tim

porkypine

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 05:14:41 AM »

Well, I made my mush last night. I will store it in the freezer until after the wedding. I wanted to check and see if this was about what it's supposed to look like. I used the flours, etc. in the proportions mentioned, and added spinach, bell pepper and strawberries (that's all I had on hand.) I tried to float one down my throat last night but could still taste something - this is why I am going to fill the capsules. I wish I could start right away, but I am curious to hear more from the others posting on this thread. Thanks!

Flours used - all from my local health food store. They had everything except potato flour. Almond meal is apparently very expensive, so I bought some bulk almonds and ground them up myself in my Cuisinart. That's what's int he front of the photo.

For some reason, I had tons of spinach in the freezer. I assume frozen veggies are fine.

This is how it looked going into the oven.

This is how it looks going into the freezer. It's not soft, but it's not rock solid either.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 05:25:17 AM »

great pictures! and because a few of us have had trouble posting pictures, can you say how you did it?

porkypine

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 06:53:22 AM »

Sure! I store all my photos on Flickr.com, they have a free account if you just want to store a few pics. It is easy to upload them from your computer following their instructions. The following assumes your photos are already uploaded somewhere.

In one window, open up Flickr (or wherever you store photos online) and go to the photo you want. Right click the photo, select "Properties" (at the bottom of the list.) See the Address: URL for the photo in the box that appears. Highlight the URL. Edit->Copy or Ctrl+C to copy the URL address.

In another window where you are making a post to the message boards, see the tiny button with the little picture frame (above the emoticons, 2nd from the left.) Click the button. In the message box will appear 2 html tags that look like this: [ img ] [ /img ]. Paste (Edit->Paste or Ctrl-V) the previously-copied URL between these two bracketed tags.

Click Preview to make sure it works.

Hope that helps!

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 07:55:58 AM »

thanks, that's useful
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18