Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
How long does it take to feel the appetite suppression effect?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long does it take to feel the appetite suppression effect?  (Read 5978 times)

shangrilabeliever

This is my first day on the diet and I was doing very well in the morning after I ttok my first 1 tbsp dose of ELOO. Then, at around 6:30 I took mt second dose. However, tonight ended up as a binge night. It just hit me like a baseball bat. I was watching TV one minute and stuffing my face with pizza the next. My question is: How long does it take to feel the appetite suppression effect? Does itt ake a few days or does it happen instantly?

Rey

Re: How long does it take to feel the appetite suppression effect?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 01:17:38 AM »

It depends on many factors.
How much weight do you have to loose? -it appears that the more weight you have to loose the faster is the effect
What percentage of your daily intake is the oil - with 240 calories you may or may not be taking enough.
Are you using a measuring tablespoon (15ml) or are you using a tablespoon from the cupboard (4-10 ml)?
What habits are you going to have to break before you learn to listen to your body signals? -you may have made a habit of eating in front of the TV. Even if you are not hungry at all, you might still eat in front of the TV if that is a habit.

All in all, give it a month and see if your weight/girth/appetite increase or decrease and then make up your mind.

shangrilabeliever

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »

Rey,
Thanks for replying so promptly. I am 140 pounds and am 5'6. I would like to lose 20 lbs. I think youre assessment was right on. First, I WAS using a cupboard spoon which makes a huge difference (never thought about that). And it WAS in front of the TV. I have this thing, the minute nighttime comes, the only thing I want to do is watch TV and pig out. I was hoping this would help me with that.
Given all of these changes that Im going to make, (change spoon, increase intake of oil) I think I still need to give it some time. I am on day 3.
Another question though: Does it matter if I eat breakfast. In the book, Seth mentions that he doesnt eat breakfast and instead eats a "normal" lunch and a light dinner plus snacks.
Also: Im confused aboutt he whole metabolism thing. Eating way less than you're used to is sure to decrease your metabolism dramatically. Isnt that BAD for weight loss?

Alpine

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 06:10:21 AM »

It took me a month. Yesterday I went out to eat and I could only eat 10% of my lunch. That was a weird experience. I had all this food on my plate and I felt so full  - almost sick - BTW, normally I can eat two plates worth of food.

CarolS

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 06:54:53 AM »

This diet is strange for me - usually when I diet if I wait too long to eat I am ravenous and end up overeating.  With this diet, the longer I wait to eat the less I end up eating. 

I would try taking the oil earlier in the afternoon and see if that makes a difference for you.  I am shooting for 16 lb weight loss, and I did not notice the appetite suppression for a few weeks.  What I did notice is the ability to ignore hunger and cravings were not there or very weak.  I still count calories too.  I am amazed how comparitively easy it has been to decrease 100 - 200 calories/day from my diet.  In the last week or so I have been doing the new flavors thing and found it really works! 

Stick with it  :)

vcanfield

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 11:29:49 PM »

It took about 5 days for me, but if I eat a lot of sugar, old cravings come back. I bought a chocolate birthday cake with butter creme icing (basically lard mixed with sugar- yet somehow this odd combo tastes fantastic and is addicting) for my son's 4th birthday. I ate a little and then could not stop eating it for the whole weekend. But, I did eat less of it then I ususally would have. I also found I needed to snack and had more cravings for bad stuff.

CarolS

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 03:30:22 PM »

Maybe there is an override issue  :(

Rey

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:14:39 AM »

Here is my crazy theory on metabolism. Your metabolic rate is how fast you burn food/age/heal/move/heart rate/etc. The fatter (less fit) that we are the higher our resting heart rate/BMR/maintenance calories. The fitter we are the lower our resting heart rate/BMR/maintenance calories. Therefore, the fitter we become the lower our metabolisms and the less food we need. Fatter people have always believed that we are fatter because of a lower metabolic rate. I beg to differ. I believe that the fatter we are the higher our metabolic rates, but (and its a big butt) the higher our weight set point (biological response unrelated to metabolism). So, as we get fitter and loose weight, the more efficient our body's become and the less food we need to maintain our weight, hence an obvious lower metabolic rate. This is actually a good thing. The lower our metabolic rate, the slower we age, the longer our organs stay healthy. So the key here is to lower the metabolic rate by lowering the weight and increasing the level of fitness (with exercise). The only thing that has always thrown the kabosh on the whole thing in the past has been the little known "set point". With a stable high set point your body would force you to eat (hunger, cravings, daydreaming of food...[homer simpson] hmmmm cake [/homer simpson]), so you could not maintain the lower, fitter weight. Dr Robert's miracle actually breaks that barrier by allowing us to eat less, be fitter and by lowering our metabolic rates, live much longer.

DirkVA

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 10:10:41 AM »

Many thanks, Rey, for pointing out the health/aging benefits of a lower metabolism rate. Definitely a silver lining in Seth's doctrine of lowered metabolism with weight loss.

FashionablySlim

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:13:54 AM »

It took me about 3 - 4 weeks to really feel the full effect. For a couple of weeks, it seemed that it wasn't working, but then I kept going and eventually I adapted to the Shangri-La diet.  During the first week or two, I actually got hungrier, but then I settled down and started to adapt.

By now (starting 6th week) I have steadily been losing at least a half pound per week, probably more than that. To date, I have lost about 3 or 4 pounds. But it looks as if  I have lost FAT not muscle or water.

Other people are starting to notice that I actually LOOK different and are asking me what I have been doing.

I just do the sugar-in-water, no more oil, no more fructose.  The oil doesn't bother me, but the sugar water seems to work better for me because it seems easier to digest and the calories are lower.

I exercise a lot and watch my food intake, but I never eat less than an average of 1400 calories per day.  And I always do some intense cardio  plus some yoga-style stretches every day.  And I do  weights/pilates every other day - 2 to 3 times per week.

But the exercise alone is not causing my weight loss -- it has never done so in the past.  I also need calorie control -- and it was always very hard to stay on a program in the past without the help of Shangri-La.

By the way, I am a slim female with low BMI.  My Body Fat percentage was 21% (at 118 lbs) when I started Shangri-La and wanted to be slimmer without losing muscle.  I think I am succeeding.  I bet I am down at or below 20% (at 114 lbs)  body fat already.  I will probably decide to level off when I get down to 108-110 lbs.

chelsear

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »

It amuses me that your starting weight of 140 pounds is my first interim goal weight. (we're the same height). I experienced appetite suppression almost from the first portion of oil, but got a little too cocky and last night at strictly because things tasted good and not because I was in any way hungry. Back on the path to shangri-la today.  I'm a food writer, love restaurants, love cooking and deeply want to find a way to comsume much smaller portions than I do now.
Junk food isn't my problem--can't rmember the last time I had a potato chip, Oreo, fast food burger, etc. But even the healthy stuff--like the pasta with boccoli raab I made last night--has calories and a small portion ought to be enough.
After decades of being overweight (ranging from mid 160s to as high as 185) I low-carbed to under 150 in time for my daughter's wedding in September 2005. I've managed to stay in the 143-148 range since then, but would like to move to 130-133. Right now I'm at 148, having just returned from a trip to Italy where I proved that you can bike 25-40 miles a day and still gain weight. It's all about the calories, in my humble opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18