Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Whole flaxseed instead of flaxseed oil?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whole flaxseed instead of flaxseed oil?  (Read 19330 times)

human vegetable

Whole flaxseed instead of flaxseed oil?
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »

Hello, I have only just read about this diet. Although I am successful at maintaining a healthy weight, this comes at the cost of hunger pangs and food cravings. Therefore, I think that incorporating SLD principles into my present regimen will make things easier for me.

Now comes the question: Would it be possible to replace the recommended oils by ingesting an energetically equivalent amount of whole flaxseed?

In the "tips and innovations" subforum, there is a long thread suggesting to do that with chia seed. Flaxseed has quite similar properties (high omega 3 content, negligible carb content), only it's a lot cheaper.

Also, flaxseed to me seems more neutral-tasting than flaxseed oil (no bitter aftertaste of any kind). If whole flaxseed is vigorously chewed for some time, it can easily be broken open and digested. This procedure eliminates all concerns about rancidity that can be a concern with flaxseed oil.

As a general rule, whenever I have a choice I try to pick whole foods over their more processed derivates because of the additional micronutrients they come with (in this case, soluble fiber and lignans). Therefore, I'd like to start my experiment with whole flaxseed, if that seems feasible to you.

On the other hand, the necesssary chewing and the protein/fiber that comes along with the fat might decrease appetite suppression. In that case, I would definitely start with the oil (or ground flaxseed, which at least eliminates the chewing).

What do you advise? Any input is highly appreciated!

numpty01

• Global Moderator
Re: Whole flaxseed instead of flaxseed oil?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »

Hey H-V :),

It all depends on your goal. Appetite suppression can come from different approaches - this diet uses flavourless calories of differing levels. This can come from oils or other foods with calories - oil is quite calorie dense so came in to favour early in the process (it was originally sugar).

But another aspect is nutrition - omega 3 / 6 ratios etc in oils vary and flaxseed & flaxseed oil also have other aspects.

So to conclude I'll draw in the self-experimentation principle - try, keep a good record, draw conclusions. You may also want to set a goal but be prepared to put it aside if you discover another beneficial result. Then include patience - it can take a few weeks to fine tune the experiment!!

N.

human vegetable

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:29:47 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

In the meantime, I have started using high-oleic safflower oil. Just 2 tbsp/day seem to do the trick nicely, and I'm having my flax seeds along with the main meals.

But as you suggest, I will eventually try the flax seeds for AS as well, possibly w/ pinched nose. They would be better suited for occasions when I'm on the move.

Gelsemium

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »

It can't hurt to give it a try. Seth himself liked to eat freshly-ground flax seeds in some yogurt twice a day:

http://blog.sethroberts.net/2011/08/03/my-daily-dose-of-flax-seed/
Start date: 8/8/13

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18