Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I LOVE THIS DIET-just started, am I taking enough oil?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I LOVE THIS DIET-just started, am I taking enough oil?  (Read 28347 times)

marsh

I LOVE THIS DIET-just started, am I taking enough oil?
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:08 AM »

Hi everyone,  another newbie, just starting.  I originally tagged this post onto the end of the FAQs but not sure anyone saw it so I have moved it to here.

I'm 140 lbs/5ft 3/ 46 years old, apple shaped and have 14 pounds to lose.

I have ALWAYS for as long as I can remember been addicted to carbs and sugar.  Recently I was despairing as my cravings were out of control.  I stumbled across this diet whilst looking at a forum for the Carbohydrates Addicts diet-which I wasn't sure I could stick to-but was desperate.  I've tried everything over the years-Atkins/5:2/WW/No sugar etc etc. but I can't stick with anything as cravings ALWAYS take over.   

I worry as I know being apple shaped is the worst shape to be and is a sign that I probably have visceral fat around my organs.  My dad and brother both have Type 2 diabetes.   Recently I have been suffering from headaches and sometimes shakes every time I eat sugar (so I am worried I will end up going down the same path).   I know I have to beat this craving that has taken over my life.   

I started yesterday with a tablespoon of Coconut oil but then realised I could taste it which isn't the idea.  I went out and bought some ELOO which I took in the afternoon (1TBS) and before bed HALF TBS.  I was a bit worried at first as I sometimes have adverse reactions to certain foods (delicate tummy) but apart from feeling a bit bloated and nauseous this morning, it's been fine and I felt ok taking the oil this afternoon. 

Today I feel as if I started properly:-

7.30 - 1 TBS ELOO on rising, didn't clean teeth or have anything else.
8.30 - Breakfast of coffee with milk/bagel with butter/muffin (def want to kick my breakfast carb habit!)
1PM-Lunch of Grilled chicken with half a burger bun, some salad and a few fries (restaurant lunch-wouldn't normally have this at home)
3.30PM - 1 and a HALF TBS ELOO

I worked out that 2 and HALF TBS is the right amount for me as it's 300 cals (I need 280 cals worth of oil).  Is there any benefit to upping to 3?   

I am DEF experiencing AS as I last ate lunch at 1PM and I'm still not starving!  I've had two small brownie bites but nothing else.     I have no particular desire to eat anything good or bad but will probably have a snack later if I'm hungry.   Totally amazing to me not to want chocolate or crappy stuff at this time of day.   After the school run, I could easily eat a whole bar of family chocolate.  I stopped earlier for petrol and just looked at all the chocolate bars and felt nothing.  Normally, I would have this internal battle going on in the my head about whether to buy some or not.  INCREDIBLE :)

I quietly optimistic but can't quite believe it will work for me as nothing usually does.  If feels SOOOO good to be free of cravings though!

I've gone on long enough but V V interesting reading everyone's stories and tips-thank you! 

**UPDATE**
Now on third day and same times with the oil but have felt like eating today and especially this afternoon am gravitating towards junk food-am trying to keep away from it-not as hard as usual though.  I think it might just be a habit!!  Am going to make myself a healthy salad.

Would love to hear from some others although it does seem eerily quiet on here........... :-\

Augustus

• Administrator
Re: I LOVE THIS DIET-just started, am I taking enough oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:16:37 AM »

"just looked at all the chocolate bars and felt nothing" ... it is amazing isn't it?

welcome to the forum, and yeah it's peaceful here :)

Sounds to me like you're doing it just right.   You can expect that the appetite suppression will ebb and flow a bit, don't worry about it, just keep following the pattern and it will all work out.
"Now I'm not a saint but I'm not a sinner
Now everything's cool as long as I'm getting thinner"

marsh

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »

Thank you SO much for replying.....was beginning to feel a bit despondent about there being no-one on here :(

I'm definitely not experiencing cravings as much and can resist crap more easily but I am still eating it on occasion....

I have also felt a bit of hunger between meals, to the extent I've felt shaky and had a rumbly stomach-not quite the strong AS I was hoping for-I am definitely not forgetting to eat! 

I can still eat the same size meals-I was hoping to be able to have smaller portions.

I shall keep going.  It's doing something-I'm not thinking about chocolate and sugar 24/7 like I was before, so that's a massive positive.

Augustus

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »

I doubt there is any harm in trying different amounts of oil.

I float it on a bit of water and then sort of blast some cold/cool water on top of that to atomize the oil.  I then drink down the resulting mixture pretty quickly.  The cold helps reduce the taste, if any, and the slimy oily mouth issue is mostly eliminated.

When I'm totally into it I only eat in evenings.  But it's my choice that I don't try to make this about will power; I just let the AS do the work.  So if I'm hungry I'll eat a bit to address that.

gte

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »

Welcome!

I just wanted to say that SLD is great and it has been a huge help for me to
turn things around, but given your health concerns you shouldn't rely
exclusively on a diet.

You haven't said if you exercise. You should start to if you don't. Pick a
sport that you like and you can stick to it. I personally would love to put
some muscle on and have a six pack, but the gym bores me to tears. I do love
cycling however and not only it's easy for me to go for a ride, but I'm kind
of addicted to it too. What I'm trying to say is find something that works for
you and it won't be a chore.

Now cycling has a social element to it - there are cyclists who join together
for group rides virtually everywhere. If you enjoy company and meeting people
it might not even feel like a workout. Just saying. :)

marsh

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:35 AM »

Welcome!

I just wanted to say that SLD is great and it has been a huge help for me to
turn things around, but given your health concerns you shouldn't rely
exclusively on a diet.

You haven't said if you exercise. You should start to if you don't. Pick a
sport that you like and you can stick to it. I personally would love to put
some muscle on and have a six pack, but the gym bores me to tears. I do love
cycling however and not only it's easy for me to go for a ride, but I'm kind
of addicted to it too. What I'm trying to say is find something that works for
you and it won't be a chore.

Now cycling has a social element to it - there are cyclists who join together
for group rides virtually everywhere. If you enjoy company and meeting people
it might not even feel like a workout. Just saying. :)

Hi gte.  Thanks for your reply.  I am all or nothing with exercise.  Sometimes I'll do loads and other times, I don't do any-not ideal I know but am looking to get back into it again. 

Since I last posted, I had a bit of a freak out about the diet as after initially experiencing AS, I started to eat normally again (ie crappy stuff in between meals) and was feeling hungry and my stomach felt really bloated and huge.  I had also PUT ON 3 lbs!!  I had a wedding to go to so i stopped the ELOO and my weight went back down and I wasn't feeling bloated.  But the weird thing is I seem to have gone back to not being bothered about crappy food (chocolate, cakes etc).  I seem to be able to take or leave them and I'm not really feeling that hungry.  I will open the cupboard, see cakes and not really feel like eating them!

I am planning to try again with coconut oil. I have also received the book, which I'd ordered, so I will read that so I know exactly what I'm doing.  There is defintely something in this!! 

Augustus

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »

... after initially experiencing AS, I started to eat normally again (ie crappy stuff in between meals) and was feeling hungry and my stomach felt really bloated and huge.  I had also PUT ON 3 lbs!!  I had a wedding to go to so i stopped the ELOO and my weight went back down and I wasn't feeling bloated.

So 3 lbs is about 2% of you wieght.  I see 2-3% changes all time in my weight.  As you can see here, for example: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=2105.msg108554#msg108554

I find that sometimes I eat too much for because of old habits, or something really delightful is put in front of me, or a social situation.  I was traveling recently and there was lots of fun food and social stuff and I put on 6 pounds in just a few days (+%3).  Over the follow next week most of it fell off.

Yes, there are situations wher the eating makes me feel "bloated," etc.  It's as if there is another element, beyond the AS, where the stomach et. al. is less willing to consume stuff.

But the weird thing is I seem to have gone back to not being bothered about crappy food (chocolate, cakes etc).  I seem to be able to take or leave them and I'm not really feeling that hungry.  I will open the cupboard, see cakes and not really feel like eating them!

I too notice that if I stop taking the oil my disinterest in food persists for quite a while afterward.  Seth's theory for that, in so far as I understand it, is that it takes a while for the body to relearn the ditto foods that it might crave on a regular basis.

---
My take on it is that I since I know it works in general and that for me, the way I do it, I lose about a pound a week on average it's more about being patient and keeping at it.  I don't stress about the day to day variations, and I don't stress much about what I eat.  I just let the AS do the work.  After I while I mostly stopped trying to puzzle what triggered a sudden drop or a tick upward.  I figure - if I'm generally eating less that's sufficient.  But yeah, i'm not trying to see how fast I can lose the weight - particularly if it get's in the way (sic) of having that awesome smoked egg salad sandwich I had recently, twice.

I should update that progress chart, since the last month has been pretty disappointing :).

siren

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »

Hi Marsh

Welcome!

I am the same height and about 10 pounds heavier than you. What I suggest is taking 2 tbsps together followed by a teaspoon of sugar (the sugar helps take the unpleasantness of the oil off). It works better for me this way, rather than breaking it up and the AS is more intense. Also, I suggest taking chromium and L-Glutamine to help with your sugar cravings.

Good luck!

marsh

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 06:32:27 AM »

Hi Marsh

Welcome!

I am the same height and about 10 pounds heavier than you. What I suggest is taking 2 tbsps together followed by a teaspoon of sugar (the sugar helps take the unpleasantness of the oil off). It works better for me this way, rather than breaking it up and the AS is more intense. Also, I suggest taking chromium and L-Glutamine to help with your sugar cravings.

Good luck!

Thank you Augustus and Siren for your replies.

Siren, I'll try mixing the sugar water and oil together-am interested to see how much stronger the AS is and if I feel different by having sugar with it.  I'm going to start this evening or tomorrow with coconut oil but I'm aware that it has flavour, so I'll need to mouth breath or wear nose clips-will have to get some! 

I'm halfway through the book and it says that if you have less than 20lbs to lose, then you take in 165 cals (1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp of sugar water).  I'm a bit confused by that as I thought I needed to take in 280 cals (double my body weight in lbs) and was even thinking about upping the oil a bit. 

Can anyone clarify why the book says this?

gte

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 03:41:15 AM »

It's been a while since I have read the book, but Seth was all about self experimentation and the numbers given in the book are not a formula to follow, but rather a starting point for self experimentation. You see how it affects you and you start adjusting from there.

I don't see why any other number of calories can't be a starting point. You could start with 165 and if the AS isn't there move up or move down if it is, until you lose it. Simply try things until you find the lowest amount of tasteless calories that does the job. And it will probably change over time.

I did a lot of experimenting when I was sticking strictly to SLD and discovered that ELOO does nothing for me and SW is too difficult to stick with. Others have had great success with CO and Morex even had long lasting AS after he stopped using oil.

marsh

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:05:58 AM »

It's been a while since I have read the book, but Seth was all about self experimentation and the numbers given in the book are not a formula to follow, but rather a starting point for self experimentation. You see how it affects you and you start adjusting from there.

I don't see why any other number of calories can't be a starting point. You could start with 165 and if the AS isn't there move up or move down if it is, until you lose it. Simply try things until you find the lowest amount of tasteless calories that does the job. And it will probably change over time.

I did a lot of experimenting when I was sticking strictly to SLD and discovered that ELOO does nothing for me and SW is too difficult to stick with. Others have had great success with CO and Morex even had long lasting AS after he stopped using oil.

Thanks gte for your reply. 

I have started again with extra virgin  unrefined coconut oil and nose clips.    I initially split the dose-1 tbsp in the morning and 1 and half tbsp in the evening and chased with a little sugar water. 

Yesterday I decided to take it all in the one dose around 10.30am.  I still felt a bit hungry and had lunch  and a couple of snacks later but then had no hunger in the afternoon and into the evening so skipped dinner.  So far, so good.

Today had coffee, no breakfast and then a tuna sandwich at 11.45 as I was hungry.  Got home about 1pm, took full dose, waited an hour, felt very bloated and nauseous and very shaky, like low blood sugar.   Had an english muffin with butter and jam (obviously not the best choice :-\) and feel TERRIBLE-Shaky, tired and sick  :(  I don't feel hungry but feel as if my blood sugar is really low.  Just had some almonds but don't feel as if I can stomach anything else. 

Where am I going wrong? 

gte

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 09:29:35 AM »

I'm not a nutrition expert, but I have had this bloated feeling before. One
thing I noticed about myself is that scheduled meals work better than eating
when I feel hungry. For the last few weeks I'm eating preplanned meals at
scheduled times. This way I can have a well balanced diet and Ι mostly avoid
binge eating. I haven't felt bloated in a while too.

I don't really have advice for you, but maybe some of the things that work for
me can work for you too.

Augustus

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 06:23:46 AM »

Today had coffee, no breakfast and then a tuna sandwich at 11.45 as I was hungry.  Got home about 1pm, took full dose, waited an hour, felt very bloated and nauseous and very shaky, like low blood sugar.   Had an english muffin with butter and jam (obviously not the best choice :-\) and feel TERRIBLE-Shaky, tired and sick  :(  I don't feel hungry but feel as if my blood sugar is really low.  Just had some almonds but don't feel as if I can stomach anything else. 

Where am I going wrong?

Shaky et. al. is what happens to me when I don't get enough calories.  It is weird and strange to need need food, but your body has no appetite.  The other symptom I get that signals I need to eat is I start salivating.

My personal theory is that your can move your body's set point only so fast, and if you try to move it faster you get symptoms as it complains.

I also find it odd how the appetite suppression includes that thing you've notice that you don't just have a desire for to eat, but also that if you do it will give you a stomach upset; as if the entire digestive track has shrunk/shut-down.

So maybe, your just trying too hard.  I figure I can - best case - expect to loose a bit less than a pound a week; and so I set my expectations about how long it's going take as say half a pound a week.  Then I just try to not obsess about it.

I eat when I'm hungry, to be sociable, and to settle my stomach.  Yogurt is good for the last one.  I occasionally have an issue with coffee deciding to irrate my stomach and I back off and let it heal.  I make some effort to avoid dittos; the snack food in the breakroom :).

Also try putting individual symptoms into the forum's search box.  Shaky isn't uncommon :).

marsh

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 03:56:04 AM »

Thanks for your replies and advice.

This morning I have changed back to olive oil as I'm not sure the coconut oil was working as well as it could for me.  I also found it such a faff melting it and having to nose clip.  It wasn't handy to take out with me either and I hadn't taken as much as I should due to being out.

I initially changed from olive oil as I read on here somewhere, it was just stored as fat(someone had quoted from "Eat fat, lose fat") and I def felt my stomach was a lot bigger, to the point where I felt a bit panicky.  However,  I also felt when I started with the olive oil, I had stronger AS.  I have still had ditto food this morning as the AS hasn't kicked in yet.  It seems better in the afternoon for some reason. 

You are right, I need to not expect instant results. I have about 10-11 lbs to lose now and it will probably take quite a while to get it off due to not having a great deal to lose. 

I will try again but feeling a bit down about whether it is actually going to work. 

gte

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »

You are right, I need to not expect instant results. I have about 10-11 lbs to lose now and it will probably take quite a while to get it off due to not having a great deal to lose. 

I had similar amount of weight to lose and it took me a couple of years to get there. I also had to make a lot of changes to my diet and exercise a lot more. So have patience and keep tweaking your lifestyle until you get where you want to be. It's not easy, but it can be done.

I will try again but feeling a bit down about whether it is actually going to work.

Don't let slow progress and small setbacks to kill your motivation. Keep going until you make it. If oil doesn't work, try nose-clipping, crazy spicing and no spicing. I've done all, except crazy spicing and I found that no spicing works best for me. Especially no salt.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18