Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tryin' it with cornstarch

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tryin' it with cornstarch  (Read 9095 times)

PirateJenny

Tryin' it with cornstarch
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »

I've known about SLD for many years, and have tried it (with the oil) several times. Never for more than a couple weeks. Never really had any results that made me enthusiastic about sticking to it, although I find the theories behind it fascinating and have recommended the book to many people!

A little background:

I have diabetes, and my medication (metformin) causes bathroom issues & gives me stomach cramps--every day, but only for a few seconds, & I feel worse NOT taking it, believe it or not! I've tried SLD with both oil & chia seeds and my digestive system just couldn't handle them in large enough doses to feel any AS.

On top of a few other problems, I have had terrible, terrible insomnia for many years. And a sort of "combination insomnia"--trouble falling asleep, nightmares that wake me up, trouble going back to sleep. With some types of dieting, especially IF (intermittent fasting), I can't sleep at all, or only get about 2 hours of sleep per night; after a few days of this, I start feeling suicidal. Also, I find myself hungry and going over my allotted calories when I'm awake an extra 5 or 8 hours!  :P

I had been very hesitant to try SLD with sugar water even before I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago, but I just keep gaining & gaining weight, so yesterday I decided to try the SW. Even though I "shouldn't" eat sugar or refined carbs, I do...and if I can get SLD to work this time, I hope I'll be eating so much less of other foods that it will all balance out.

Yesterday morning I (rather impulsively) had 4T sugar. I tested my blood glucose about an hour later and it was 98, which is great for me. I felt fine for most of the day, although I did take a couple of naps (not unusual for me on the weekend). I didn't feel any AS. Last night I took 4T sugar again, but also added 4T cornstarch.

(And if you're wondering, "Why cornstarch?!"----

Raw cornstarch is digested very slowly; it is more like a fiber than a "starch". It can fuel a person for several hours* while keeping blood sugar levels steady. It may even prevent blood sugar from spiking and crashing when consumed along with glucose:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/52/4/667.full.pdf+html?sid=7d8d209f-f5e9-463b-bec4-6d9aae69a57b)

This morning I had noticeable AS. Feeling a bit more cautious about sugar, I only used 2T but repeated the 4T of cornstarch. I ate pretty small amounts of food today, even though I did a lot of cooking, and haven't snacked on anything sweet.

Another bonus was that I didn't have weird dreams last night!

Last year I sort of put together some seemingly random information about nightmares, cortisol, and diabetes--it literally came to me in a dream--and started doing experiments with raw cornstarch. My nightmares ceased IMMEDIATELY. So for quite a while, I was taking cornstarch in water before bed. However, a few months ago we had to move on rather short notice, and with all the physical exertion of packing, cleaning, moving furniture, etc, I was usually exhausted enough to fall asleep without all my supplements and rituals. I got out of the cornstarch habit.

Thursday night and Friday night I had some very disturbing dreams, although they weren't violent enough to wake me. Last night (Saturday) I slept really well, no bad dreams, woke up early without an alarm feeling energetic, and haven't napped today!

If anybody is interested in trying cornstarch for long-lasting energy, it must be raw. Once it's cooked, it is more like a sugar--digested very quickly and will spike blood glucose. I just mix it into cold water.

*It seems like it would be a really good fuel for everyday workouts as well as any exercise requiring more endurance.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:18:40 PM by PirateJenny »

PirateJenny

Re: Tryin' it with cornstarch
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:28 PM »

Going well so far.
Down a pound or two today...my weight fluctuates a lot every month, so this might be a coincidence, but I hadn't been under 290 for 2 weeks, and this morning I was!

No trouble with insomnia...in fact, the last 2 nights I fell asleep with my cornstarch-sugar water (CSSW) right next to me, waiting for my "window". 

No problems with my blood sugar, either.
I'm taking l-glutamine and gymnema sylvestre with my CSSW to (hopefully) lessen any harm from the sugar.

Yesterday I only ate half the food I took to work and left the other half there; today I only ate half of that! I had "snacks" instead of lunch; yesterday some crackers & butter, today some walnuts and turkey jerky. Yesterday I had a pretty big dinner when I got home, but tonight I couldn't think of anything I wanted so I just had a cheese sandwich.

Eating at work is sometimes awkward; either I can't stop what I'm doing to go downstairs & get my food out of the fridge, or I can't warm it up because there's a meeting in the office where the microwave is. Also, my boss notoriously keeps me late for 30-90 minutes almost every night; she says we're leaving, so I don't eat because I think I can wait til I get home, but then we don't leave...and even when we eventually do, it takes me at least 1hr 15min to get home...that's plenty of time to get really hungry & cranky!!! I never get fast food on the way home and I usually try not to snack because I'd rather "save the calories" for a decent dinner, but my new plan is to keep some walnuts (I just bought 4lbs) handy and stop trying to tough it out.

PirateJenny

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:50 PM »

Additional:

Something that helps me with both blood sugar control AND insomnia:

Breakfast. Breakfast with lots of protein!!!

As a diabetic, I tend to wake up with high blood sugar. Back in my days of trying IF, I found that my blood sugar does NOT go down if I skip breakfast, even if I exercise or do hours of errands and chores. I also found that consuming only fat (e.g., tea or coffee with cream) does not bring it down either. Eating carbs but no protein (e.g., pancakes & syrup) will first cause a spike but then bring it down, because at least it gets the insulin working.

All 3 of these scenarios result in insomnia.
While IFing, I kept track of how many hours I could go without eating after I woke up. One day I noted that it was 5 hours. That night I was miserable...I suddenly realized I had been trying to sleep for 5 hours! So maybe there was a connection? I started searching online and found that many others, especially women, suffer similarly while IFing. Apparently our special lady hormones can make us experience fasting differently than men.  :P

Same thing happens when I eat only carbs for breakfast...even if I've been sleeping well for weeks, it affects me that same night, but luckily only for that night if I get back on track with protein the next day.

Reminder to self:
I read on a thread around here somewhere that some people take their flavorless calories as HWC.
Don't forget to try that if the CSSW doesn't work out!
(Also thinking I could do [noseclipped] coconut milk since coconut fat is supposed to be so darn good for you!)

Titania

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »

Just wanted to say 'hi' ;)

I'm just hanging in there - not seeing much progress, but not ready to give in just yet.

PirateJenny

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »

Hi!  :D

I was down to 288.6 this morning.
Today I only had 2 meals (late breakfast, early dinner) with no snacks.
--No work today. Instead of having my "dose" before breakfast, I had it in the afternoon, but will be having my second one before bed as usual.

Don't want to get too hopeful too soon but feeling pretty good so far. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:45:36 PM by PirateJenny »

PirateJenny

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »

Hmm, sure are a lot of lurkers around here!  :o
This thread has over 100 views and only one other person has chimed in!

I got hit by TOM a few days ago so I haven't been able to tell if I'm losing weight. I hope I'll have good news in a day or two.

Although I am in the habit of going several hours between meals without snacking or having any calories (leftover from trying Jack Kruse's "Leptin Reset" a couple years ago), it's interesting to note how often I would normally have a flavor of some sort going on--coffee, toothpaste, iced tea, gum.  It's taking a real effort & mindfulness to go flavorless!

Definitely experiencing AS but a bit "oddly". Last night I was quite hungry but wasn't sure what I wanted to eat...then I had a craving for a spicy Indian chickpea snack I had left in the car. A few minutes later, I no longer felt hungry. But I hadn't eaten for several hours and thought I might as well eat a little something before it got much later, so I went to the car and got it. I still had the craving but I just didn't feel like eating. I had some cottage cheese before I went to bed but I still haven't eaten those chickpeas!

I don't always get AS immediately after taking my dose.
For example, if I take it first thing in the morning, I will be extremely hungry a couple hours later; it doesn't enable me to skip breakfast easily. But if I take my dose after breakfast or even after lunch, I will not snack between lunch and dinner, and/or I will just want a snack instead of dinner. (Which is great on work nights, because I get home too late to cook.) And in the case of the chickpea incident, I hadn't taken my morning dose that day, so if I was having AS from SLD and not some other random thing, it was kicking in about 18 hours later!

Titania

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »

Interesting observations. I do like how this sort of thing tends to attract the experimenting types. I am familiar with 'The Quilt' as well. I usually don't eat between meals, but I do miss lipstick!

PirateJenny

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »

Continuing to have good AS; for example, yesterday I split my breakfast into 2 "snacks" (8 am and noon) and my lunch also (4pm and 6pm), then ALMOST went to bed without dinner--I drank my water, went to bed at midnight, but woke up at 1am and had a roll with cheese. I woke SO hungry today, though--I was IN PAIN!!!

Weight loss is uncertain; I saw 288.0 one day, and on another the scale flashed 287.8 but settled at 288.0...again! Several days have been 288.4 or 288.6. Still, am definitely down 3 lbs and at least I'm not gaining, as I'd been doing slowly for the last couple months.

I really meant to update every day, for myself even if nobody else is interested :P but my workdays are way too long, and other days I don't feel I have much to report; the first few days it seemed like I was losing about 1/2lb every day, but right now I'm just holding steady at 288.something. However, I've reached the "other" TOM (ovulation) which always usually adds a few pounds, so, again, at least I'm not gaining or going up & down every day.

I've cut the sugar down to 1T,  plus 4T cornstarch + 1t glutamine. A couple of times I drank 1/4c light cream (120 calories) nose-clipped, then drank my water; another time I mixed coconut milk (from powder) & 1/4 c light cream.

I'm not taking the CSSW at a consistent time every day. On workdays I can't take it before or during my long commute, so I eat a small breakfast, a snack around 11 or 12, take my dose, another snack around 4 or 6, then either another dose when I get home and a snack before bed, or dinner when I get home and a dose before bed.

On my days off I take my dose when I wake up, have "brunch", another dose in the afternoon, then dinner...or dinner (early, like 6pm instead of 9 or 11pm on workdays) and a dose before bed.

My morning blood glucose readings have been pretty good: 120s (140-150 is not unusual) but one day it was 105!

PirateJenny

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

Weight went up for a few days--back to starting weight plus a little, maybe a pound. I was a tiny bit under 290 today for the first time in a couple weeks, though, so...fingers crossed...

But something's off...I just got TOM again, only a 21-day cycle when it's usually 28. Very odd.

I take a generic prescription, and sometimes my pharmacy gives me different brands. For a long time I've been convinced that one of them made me gain weight more than the other...However, I was taking the "bad" (white) one when I started SLD on March 8, and I lost 3lbs in a few days; I thought going back to the "good" (purple) one would speed things up but I gained 4 or 5lbs as soon as I started taking it. I went back to the white one last Wednesday but I am not sure what's going on due to TOM.  :-\ 

It also occurred to me that I was having success when I started off with 2T sugar mixed in with my cornstarch, but when I stalled/regained was around the time I got nervous and cut it down to 1T. So I went back up to 2T for a couple days. But then I skipped a few doses...my basement flooded, some friends were around for a few days to help, and mealtimes got messed up.

I've changed things up a bit and am doing "platinum calories" in the morning (1/3c light cream and a "fat bomb") and taking cornstarch at night (leaving out the sugar for now). I noticed that if I skip the CS once, I might not have bad dreams that night, but if I skip it twice I don't sleep well the second night.

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2012/01/abi-faes-fat-bombs.html

PirateJenny

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »

I've added rice bran oil (RBO) to my routine; have been taking it as my morning dose for the past 3 or 4 days.
Had a stomach ache for several hours one day, which started about 8 hours after I took the oil; I skipped it for a couple days but took it again today to see if I can handle it.

As soon as I started the RBO, I dropped a couple pounds. I've been between 288.0-288.8 for about a week.
Still haven't gotten below that dratted 288.0 number, though!  >:(

Since I've had stomach trouble from drinking oil in the past, it occurred to me that taking digestive enzymes along with the oil might be a good idea. Haven't actually remembered to do so yet, though (d'oh!), but will report back if I try it.

Still taking cornstarch at night because it helps me sleep so well. I'm now taking 3T cornstarch + 1T resistant starch (Hi-Maize), 1t glutamine, no sugar.

Haven't done platinum calories in a few days but am thinking I will try as an afternoon snack. I put a lot of "good fats" in my fat bombs--hemp seeds, coconut oil, tahini--and I don't always get them in my diet otherwise.

PirateJenny

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

I threw up one day from the rice bran oil.   

Then I read that Seth had passed away, and it made me sad to even come to these boards and maybe run across one of his posts.

I sort of stopped doing SLD after that. Still took the cornstarch at night for a while, but not necessarily in a flavorless window. A couple months ago I started taking "salt water sole" and it helped me sleep so I've been neglecting the cornstarch.

On June 12 I started doing JUDDD (Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet--alternate day calorie restriction). I started at 289.4lbs and got down to 277.8 on July 9! Weight sometimes bounces up after "up days"; today I was 279.8 but overall the trend is going down--rapidly!!!

One day I made some sugar-free Jell-O with chia seeds + extra unflavored gelatin (for more protein)...the next day I was so not hungry I just spontaneously decided to do a "down day"(I was already familiar with JUDDD because I'd tried it about 2 years ago and lost 20 lbs). I wonder if maybe the chia seeds take a while to digest and so the body perceives them as "flavorless calories" even though I eat them with flavored Jell-O? Or there's something in the chia+ gelatin combination that is giving me good AS. I eat the chia/gel almost every day, but especially the night before a DD (down day because it makes it so much easier.

I also usually take 5g of l-glutamine 3 times a day...it helps with blood sugar and overall appetite but especially cravings for sweets.

My main challenge with JUDDD (aside from hunger) is insomnia on DDs. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have to eat a good amount of protein in the morning to be able to sleep that night. Unfortunately that uses up at least 200 of my calories for the day, and sometimes gets me in the mood for eating all day long. I'd rather wait til as late in the day as possible before I start eating, or to save up most of my calories for dinner, but of course that ends up with me awake til 4 or 5am! However, I've been losing well eating 800-1200 calories on my DDs--many people only eat about 500 calories or even fast entirely.

I've been thinking about doing small amounts of sugar water to help me get through the DDs. I might try tomorrow, on Sunday. I can't do large amounts of sugar water on workdays because I have a long commute with nowhere to take a bathroom break!

swampstuff

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »

Hi.  I am very new here.  Just discovered this diet.  I was wondering how you were doing with everything since you post once in July and then....no more.  Have you found any success with the cornstarch? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18