Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Bringin' Home the Oil, Me Boys, Bringin' Home the Oil

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bringin' Home the Oil, Me Boys, Bringin' Home the Oil  (Read 3305 times)

Pigwig

Bringin' Home the Oil, Me Boys, Bringin' Home the Oil
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:56 PM »

Hello, all!

I nearly discovered the principle behind SLD on my own: a couple of years ago, my serum lipids were terrible. Of course, I weighed well over 300 pounds. So I began taking 15 standard-dose fish oil pills a day at waking. I immediately started losing weight. I didn't make the smell-sense association because I was taking the pills with diet root beer; none the less, I lost weight pretty quickly, about 20 pounds in three months.

I'm a "supertaster", and there's no such thing as "tasteless" to me. Even tap water has a taste; I hold my nose while taking the oil. So I wonder if a part of the SLD effect isn't some kind of internal mechanism to regulate fat intake. Or perhaps the root beer I drink doesn't register as a "taste".

Then I stopped the FO out of fears of mercury and cadmium. My weight returned the following winter, up to 330. I eventually lost about 50 pounds of that by cooking more, which bought my calorie intake down to 2000/day; and I also walked more. (Since that time, all the fish oil producers have been testing their product, and all toxins are basically absent.)

I decided to look around to discover WHY I'd lost so much weight on FO, usually by searching on "fish oil weight loss" plus a medical term or two to avoid the diet ads, which usually took me to other diet forums and, especially, bodybuilding forums. After a few days, I inadvertently left the "fish" part off, and "Shangri-La Diet" came right up. I read SR's introductory essay on it, put the book on my Amazon "save it for later" list ... and forgot it was there.

Well, I recently signed up for Amazon Prime, and the book immediately popped up in the queue, so I bought it. I started SLD, "officially", yesterday, 2014-02-09. I'm using 1 tbsp of walnut oil and 1 tbsp of coconut oil at waking, and after an evening nap. (My sleep is quite fragmented from mild sleep apnea, sleep paralysis, and worst of all, having worked in a sleep lab for many years.) Since fish oil in pills (actually "softgels") are pretty expensive, I'm looking around for pourable FO to replace the walnut oil.

However, as-is, after three doses of oil, my appetite is gone and I don't even want to look at food.

My weight is 265 pounds now, with a 6-pound variation due to physical issues pertaining to things like fluid retention -- so it's actually 262 to 268. My goal is a stable 165 +/- 2 or less, making it a nice round English Imperial number, 100 pounds (265 lb. = 120 kg). Judging from the stories of the "morbidly obese" people here, I figure I should be there in about a year, although my fat-man symptoms started at 220 (in 1995), so at 50 pounds' loss, I hope to be able to fit into my Spandex heavy metal rocker suit again. :)

I'm a 55-year-old man, with well-controlled diabetes using metformin, exercise, and a diet that is actually pretty healthy though not reducing my weight. But I understand that remission from Type 2 diabetes back to normal glucose metabolism is quite possible with weight loss.

But lemme tellya ... feeling this "full" is eerie and a little unpleasant.

(By the way, that subject line is from an old petroleum company ad. They got the Clancy Brothers to write a very infectious song: "Bringin' Home the Oil" (to Bantry Bay). The commercials were pulled after one of their tankers rammed into the dock at Bantry Bay and oiled it up REAL good.)

gte

Re: Bringin' Home the Oil, Me Boys, Bringin' Home the Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »

This is one sweet introduction. Welcome and best of luck with your journey! Oh, and since you're into spandex, cycling is a great way to lose weight while wearing spandex - you can't beat that!

Morex

Re: Bringin' Home the Oil, Me Boys, Bringin' Home the Oil
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:50:16 AM »

Welcome home, P!

Yes feeling this full is unpleasant at first, just be patient while your body gets used to it. I can tell you that after 5 or 6 months with no oil, AS is still very strong in me. And I actually love it now  :P

Unless you are from another dimension, you won't sense any taste with your nose clipped. Try that for your oil and you'll get better results.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18