Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Goblyn's Journal part 2, having a second go.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goblyn's Journal part 2, having a second go.  (Read 3800 times)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Goblyn's Journal part 2, having a second go.
« on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

(Note, edited to fix date problems, I don't know why I got so confused by the dates, but there you go)

Hi everybody!  Its been a long long long time, and quite frankly I never thought I'd need to return here, but, here we are.

About me:

In 2008 I tried SLD for the first time, failed to get past the first few days (I blame the oil, I was using ELOO, and it was entirely unpalatable), but picked it right back up in early 2009 (using canola oil).  When I started, I was at my all time heaviest, 284 lbs.  By the beginning of 2011 I was somewhere around 214.  At that time I decreased my oil to a tablespoon a day, and was doing other things as well, couch to 5K running, the Gabriel Method, eating chia seeds in my water, etc. 

In May of 2011 I met a guy who I thought was everything I ever wanted.  He convinced me to move from Connecticut, USA all the way to San Francisco, CA, 3000 miles away.  I left my family and friends and moved to CA with him in August, where we broke up almost immediately. 

For whatever reason, this experience did not break me, perhaps it was a high from having lost so much weight and having found a new stronger me, but I actually succeeded in San Francisco on my own.  I found a great job within weeks, and made my own circle of close friends.  However, the distance from my family (I have children) was too much to bear, and so early in 2012 I returned home.

At some point in late 2011, I was buying super skinny jeans (this was the fashion in SF), I was able to wear size Large tshirts and found them to be voluminous on me.  I have no idea how much I weighed at that time because I didn't own a scale, didn't go to the doctor, and didn't CARE.  It was a weird feeling, having spent so much of my life obsessed with my weight, but for whatever reason, I had absolutely no worries about my weight and it obviously helped.  I also had totally stopped doing anything SLD.  My last gasp effort at it consisted of drinking water with chia seeds in it on the way to work, that stopped when I ran out of chia seeds. 

Then, unfortunately, my moving home coincided with a big depression.  My friends, who I assumed would welcome me back with open arms, kind of abandoned me, perhaps being stung by my prior abandoning of them (you know what they say about Karma), I also had a harder time finding work than I thought I would, and as such, I wound up staying at my mother's house, something that I, as a 34 year old independent man, has not done since I was 18. 

During this time I began to gain weight.  After securing a job, I joined a gym hoping that would help.  I managed to keep my weight steady at around 220, gaining and losing the same 3 or 4 lbs, but with no real results.

I quickly grew discouraged.  I'd try a diet plan, do alright, lose a few lbs, get discouraged, and fall off the wagon (does this sound familiar or what?).

Early this year, I finally began dating again.  I've been with the same guy now since March, and things are going well.  Well everything except for the fact that he's got all those old eating/diet habits I had.  He's done every diet too.  He and I are not helping one another, as we tried Weight Watchers together.  He lost 13 lbs right away, I lost 8 and then GAINED IT BACK while staying on my points.  He cheated on his diet, and still lost.  We got into a fight about it, he went off the diet and gained back everything he lost and then some.  I don't blame him for this, he's just trapped in a cycle of losing and gaining and dieting and pigging out.  I understand, we've all been there before, why else would we be HERE?

Little more than a month ago, I had a doctor's visit.  I weighed 234.  234 is my MAGICAL PLATEAU WEIGHT.  I spent most of my college days stuck at 234.  When I plateaued for several months doing SLD the first time I was 234.  That weight scared me.  Then my lab tests came back.  High cholesterol.  During any doctor's visits during my SLD journey, everything was perfect.  Now I have high cholesterol?  Uh oh!

So I did what anyone crazy enough to try anything would do.  I decided that maybe I should give a gluten-free dairy-free vegan lifestyle a shot.  And you know what?  I lost 11 lbs.  In the first two weeks.

In the last two weeks...I've gained all that back.  And guess what I weighed this morning?

234.  How'd you guess?

So on my car ride into work today I thought good and hard.  And I decided that I wasn't going to let this get the best of me.  I have a bottle of canola oil, I have newly purchased nose clips.  I am READY to start this again.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here.  I lost at least 50 lbs of my initial weight gain having canola oil in the morning, nose clipped, brushed teeth while nose clipped and took my vitamins, and then have coffee as soon as my hour is up.   When my AS was good, I could totally not eat anything again until dinner, when I'd have a totally reasonable dinner, evening snack, and that's it.  I'm hoping to get back to that point.

So here I go.  Tomorrow morning, when I wake up, I'm going to start again.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:44:27 AM by goblyn »

goblyn

Re: Goblyn's Journal part 2, having a second go.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »

So I took three tablespoons of oil this morning nose clipped (by the way, have any of you noticed how much noseclips have improved over the last few years?  Is it just because of the celebrity status of Ryan Lotche and Michael Phelps causing people to want cool nose clips?  I don't know, but I have a nice pair with silicone grips that are wayyyy more comfortable and effective than the strange metal and flesh colored rubber ones I had before).

No real AS yet, but I also am not expecting it right away.  I don't feel hungry, but then I wouldn't ordinarily be hungry by 9:45 in the morning.

I guess I should probably mention my goals with SLD:

1.  Obviously I want to lose weight.  However, my weight loss goal really is this:  I have a bunch of shirts and pants that I bought when I lived in San Francisco.  I can't fit into any of them any more.  All I want is to be able to fit into them.  I was still "overweight" at that point, but I was comfortable with my weight.  Hell, I had a tshirt that was a size medium at that time that actually fit!  I would love to be able to wear those clothes again.

2.  I want to stop thinking about eating non stop.  I remember when I first started SLD, one of my big revelations was that before SLD I thought about food all the time.  It was an obsession that didn't need to be there.  I would spend all day long thinking about what I was going to have for dinner that night.  I'm back to that point, and I'd like to not be there anymore.

3.  I want to stop having psoriasis outbreaks.  I don't necessarily think its because of my weight or my diet, but for whatever reason my psoriasis almost completely disappeared when I had lost weight last time, and its starting to come back with a vengeance.

4.  I want my cholesterol to go back down.  I don't necessarily think that having high cholesterol means that I'm going to die of a heart attack, but I also know that doing SLD made my cholesterol perfect.

5.  I want to be an example to my boyfriend that you can lose weight without really trying, that calories in/calories out isn't the only way to lose weight (after all we aren't machines), to show him that there is an easier way.  Hopefully he will follow suit.  If nothing else, I just want to get him out of this cycle of diet-fail-emotional eating due to failure-weight gain-diet.

bohemclarinetti

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:38:25 AM »

Welcome back! I hope everything goes well for you, and you can again have that freedom from food you once had. I know what you mean with food obsession. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I didn't plan out a menu. I just didn't care, and it didn't matter anyway because I *forgot* to eat dinner.

I don't know if it's related to psoriasis, but I have seborrheic dermatitis, and it disappears when I take oil and/or eat low carb.

shovelqueen

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

Hey, Goblyn!  How the hell are ya??  I'm still here, though lurking most of the time.  I don't use SLD as such much anymore, but the basic principles that I've learned here are part of the toolbox that I use to keep my weight in check and my health 100%. 

It's a pretty quiet forum, but there are a few new posters around.  You really need to check out Morex - he's lost a ton.  And he's about your age and your former size. His diet is mostly Primal/Paleo, a dietary pattern that really melds well with SLD.  There's actually a lot of interest in SLD over on the Marks Daily Apple forum, the Primal diet site. 

If you're interested, check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2kaU96PcK, go to the Resources tab, read Primal Blueprint 101, plus whatever else interests you.

Nice to see a familiar "face"...Welcome back.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Morex

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »

Hi Goblyn!

Like Shovelqueen says, I turned to Paleo after 5 months in SLD. Now I can't go back. It's awesome because I healed myself from a lot of stuff I wasn't even aware I was sick of!

I did SLD for 6 or 7 months and AS is still here. So be patient with yourself, but do SLD diligently. Your body and mind will slowly heal your relationship with food. And one day... BANG! You will discover that you no longer spend the whole day thinking about food.

I wish you all the best.

goblyn

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:02 AM »

Hi Morex, Bohemclarinetti, and Shovelqueen!!!! 

Thanks for your low carb/paleo suggestions, if I had more self control I could eat paleo all the time, but I love my white potatoes and quinoa too much.  I tend to eat "slow carbs" most of the time anyways, but any time I've tried to legitimately go low carb I find myself being hungry all the time, counteracting the oil's effectiveness.

So its been 2 weeks since I started the oil again.  I feel like it was longer than that, but according to this, no.  During that time I've lost 7 lbs!  The first 5 dropped off in a matter of days, and so I'm now back to averaging a lb a week, which is wonderful, if I can lose 20 more I'll be super happy (28 more would take me down to my ultimate goal which is to just be below 200, I have no illusions about being in perfect physical shape, I just want to wear my old clothes!).

I'm noticing that AS is good through the day, but as soon as I eat dinner its gone.  I seem to recall this happening back during my first go round with it, so that's nothing new, its just a matter of making the right choices for eating when I do get my appetite.

I'm having the slightest bit of psychological nausea about the oil, which I know I'll get over soon enough, but I am getting sick of it (no pun intended).  I find that if I don't think about it at all, I have no problems, the second I start thinking about it, I get queasy.  As I type this I'm a little queasy....sigh.   ::)

I had started off doing my oil and then drinking a bottle of water while I waited for my hour to be up so I could have my morning coffee (I can't give up all my vices!), I know it sounds crazy but I think having the water in my stomach with nothing but oil was not helping for some reason, this morning I skipped the water until after my coffee and its much better.

Anyways, hopefully I make it through Thanksgiving without doing too much damage!

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »

Low carb paleo didn't work too well for me either.  I found it disturbed my sleep among other things.  I do better with a moderate but mostly grain-free carb intake, meaning that there's lots of room for white and sweet potatoes, starchy/sweet veggies and fruits, sushi rice (close to once a week - we love sushi).  I stay away from most gluten containing grains and most white sugar, though I don't worry about wee bits of sugar in condiments and such.  I use a small amount of dairy products, mainly cheese, though I will still use diet yogurt if I'm craving desserts or sweets. 

Glad to hear you're having such success again.  Pretty cool trick!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

goblyn

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

Thanks SQ!

Well I have honestly no idea how much I weigh.  I am pretty sure I weigh about the same as I did the last time I checked, but I haven't weighed in since then, partially because I was bad and skipped out on oil a few days in the last few weeks on days where there would be lots of goodies to eat (like Thanksgiving), but I'm definitely back on track.

Just like last time I'm finding that its easier on the weekdays while I'm at work than it is on the weekends when I'm home and presented with many eating options.  Overall though I am eating less, which is definitely good, and I'm not dreaming about food all the time either.

My typical weekday goes like this:

Oil in the morning
Coffee (with cream and turbinado sugar) when the hour is up
Fruit at lunch time (lately an orange)
Dinner which usually consists of a slightly bigger than normal amount of food (for example yesterday I had a large soup bowl of homemade turkey stew and a peanut butter and banana and sriracha sandwich; oh yeah, I discovered the wonders of sriracha and peanut butter and am totally hooked.  Anyways the idea is that I'm eating more than one normally would at a meal, but since its my ONLY meal during the day I'm not concerned)
A very small snack, usually just a few pieces of candy (its xmas time, there is candy all around me), but nothing too terrible.

On the weekends it goes more like this:
Coffee (with cream and turbinado)
Oil at some point during the day but not when I first wake up as the allure of coffee is too great
Decide to have a small lunch which turns out to be a normal lunch of a sandwich or soup or similar
Some type of snack in the afternoon
Dinner, normal portions
Snack in the evening

So again, that's not TERRIBLE, its just not as good as I do on the weekdays.

But at the same time I'm NOT concerned.

My major goals at the moment just consist of trying to drink a bit more water (my office moved the location of the water cooler to the floor below where it usually was, I was all for this since it meant that I'd get to walk an additional flight of stairs for exercise, but it turns out its just a little bit more time that I don't have), finding some digestive enzyme and acidophilus supplements, I had both but have run out and I think its very important to take the digestive enzymes while doing oil, as I've found that it has a tendency to make me constipated, which is the opposite of what you'd expect.

I haven't gone to the gym since before thanksgiving, but I'm not really broken up by it.  I get a walk in at lunch time, and I've been busy with other things.  Working out is great and all, but I really just don't have the time at the moment.  I know its an excuse, but at the same time the holidays are running me ragged as it is!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18