Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Will the third time be the charm?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the third time be the charm?  (Read 10703 times)

Gelsemium

Will the third time be the charm?
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »

I did the SLD a couple of times in 2006, in conjunction with a LC diet. For me, it works really, really well, maybe too well. I lost too much weight too quickly and started getting sick a lot. My daughter was young at the time, and I would get distracted and accidentally eat or drink something in the two hour window. So I stopped doing SLD, but kept up with LC dieting.

Fast forward to last June 2013: I was at an optimal size, but still trying to lose those last 10 pounds. I tried to vary the amount of carbs in my diet, and finally went ultra-low (30 carbs a day or less) eating only meat, fat, veggies, some dairy (like cream and butter) and very little fruit. At this point I had been low-carb dieting for six years.

Despite eating no sugar or grains, I started getting really bad toothaches and had horrible plaque. When I went for a dental check-up, I found out I had multiple cavities and severe gum problems. I also experienced cold hands and feet, low body temperature, hair loss and low energy.

My husband's work changed insurance plans, and I was able to see an open-minded MD who agreed to do a lot of labwork that HMO insurance plans typically don't cover. Sure enough, I had low free T3 and free T4, moderate reverse T3, and so-so TSH. My iron labs were lackluster, and I had sky-high cholesterol.

I told my doctor about the fatigue, but he gave me the standard "exercise more" advice. He wasn't at all bothered by my lab results. But how could I exercise when I felt so weak? I literally had to take an afternoon nap every day.

At a complete loss, I started to enter all the food I ate into NutritionData.com. That's when I realized that I was only eating around 1,000~1,300 calories a day! I was surprised to find that I was eating so little. At this point, I had virtually no appetite and felt full after every meal.

Then I came across some of Matt Stone's ideas on raising metabolism and body heat, and Gwyneth Olwyn's website (YourEatopia.com) on orthorexia and eating disorders. I started to eat carbs again. I gained a lot of weight, but I started feeling more energetic and my body temperature was now consistently 98.6 and above by the afternoon. I started exercising again.

After a few months on this protocol, my blood pressure went up and I got a weird fatty tissue deposit on my right shoulder. I decided to try to lose weight again, but by using SLD without any food restrictions.

I started with fructose water which gave excellent AS but sadly ran into too many digestive issues. I switched to refined coconut oil after two weeks, taking just under 2T twice a day.

So here are my starting stats on 8/8/13:

47 years old, 5'7" 213 pounds.

Blood pressure: 138/77

Measurements: 44.5" bust, 34" waist, , 44" lower abdomen, 44.5" hips

8/21/13:

Measurements: 44.25" bust, 34" waist, , 43" lower abdomen, 43" hips

8/26/13:

Blood pressure: 120/78

Weight: 208

8/28/13:

Measurements: 44" bust, 34" waist, 42" lower abdomen, 42.5" hips

9/9/13:

Weight: 206
Blood Pressure: 110/78

On 9/9~9/10, my appetite suddenly increased. I started craving sweets again. I switched to taking a shot of oil (1.75 tbsps) followed by a teaspoon of fructose in water twice a day. My AS kicked back in again.

9/13/13:

Measurements: 43.5" bust, 33.75" waist (finally a loss!), 41.5" lower abdomen, 42" hips

9/22/13:

Measurements: 43" bust, 33" waist, 41" lower abdomen, 41" hips

It will be a while before I get a chance to weigh myself again, as I don't own a scale. However, I'm very happy to plot my progress with a measuring tape.

9/26/13:

Lost AS after drinking some flavored and honey-sweetened tea too soon after a dose of oil. Starting taking CO with a small amount of Japanese Resetta oil (some horrible canola, palm and coconut oil mixture that is touted as a "healthy" oil).

10/7/13:

Weight: 199

10/14/13: Had really bad PMS and nipple soreness for a week around my period, something that never happens. It was so bad I thought I was pregnant! Facial skin seems a little wrinkled, especially around eyes. I decided to stop taking the Resetta oil even though I was only taking 3/4 of a teaspoon twice a day. Started using unrefined palm oil.

10/21/13:

Weight: 196

Blood pressure: 102/65

Measurements are basically the same, although irritatingly my lower abdomen measurement can fluctuate from 39" to 41.5!

1/1/15:

Weight: Unknown

Blood pressure: Last month I measured it at a CVS Pharmacy and it was higher than last year's lowest number (102/65), but still within normal range.

Measurements: 41.0" bust, 32" waist, , 38" lower abdomen, 40.5" hips

For some reason I lost a lot of weight in my chest and upper back when I got sick last month.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:05:53 PM by Gelsemium »
Start date: 8/8/13

Gelsemium

Re: Will the third time be the charm?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »

As you can see, I have lost NOTHING from my waist. It takes a long time to lose from there, no matter what diet I'm on.  :'(

Gelsemium

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »

The excellent AS continued today as I put it to a severe test: the mall on an empty stomach with people around me eating junk.

All I had for breakfast at 9:30 was two scrambled eggs with some Pace salsa and a bit of cream cheese followed by a scoop of whey protein powder mixed with water, xylitol, stevia and chocolate extract.

I took my shots of CO and fructose water at noon. By 1:30, I got the familiar nauseous "full" feeling.

An hour later my family and I went to the mall. Usually I can't resist going to Cinnabon, but I easily avoided it today. We went to Starbucks and they ordered pastries. I ordered an iced black tea sweetened with saccharin (health freaks don't flame me, yo). Had no desire to eat pastries at all. We walked around for a bit, then went to Sweet Factory and See's Candy where they bought all sorts of goodies.

It's weird but the sweet chocolate/caramel odor at See's Candy made my mouth water, yet I had no desire to eat anything. My stomach felt empty while at the same time there's a phantom thing filling it.

We walked around for hours, then went to a local strip mall and walked around some more. Finally around 5:30 p.m. we went to the health food store nearby, where I bought some rice crackers and they bought a couple of bags of potato chips. I ate three rice crackers and a few potato chips. Then I felt full!

We drove home and I made dinner: barbecued beef with mixed veggies. I heated some hamburger buns for everyone, but didn't eat any myself (just didn't feel like it). After I was done I immediately brushed my teeth.

Took my last shots of CO and fructose water at 9 p.m., and by 10:16 got that full feeling.

Morex

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:36:41 AM »

Hey G!!

I am relatively new to the forums but I have been constant on the past months. Now that I think of it, it's been almost a year now!

Anyway, welcome back to the forums. Hope this time you have better results. On my little experience, if you stick to the plan and take your oil diligently, you'll get awesome results.

I am on maintenance phase now, but I know how it is to go to place that usually made your mouth water. I was one of those guys that would go get a burger just because I walked near a Burger King. Now I simply lost interest. And since going paleo, I found I crave more healthy food than anything else.

Thank you for posting! I'll be reading :)

Gelsemium

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

Thanks Morex for your kind words! Your SLD journey has been a great inspiration to me.

Gelsemium

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

Today I'm going to cut back on the CO. Yesterday I ate so little that I felt weird and dizzy.

Yesterday for breakfast I had some leftover barbecued beef, 2.5 tablespoons of cream cheese, and a couple handfuls of cherry tomatoes.

I made some bacon for my parents but by the time I was done with eating breakfast, I didn't want any! This is very strange. I've always eaten available bacon even if I'm full.

A couple hours later is when I started feeling weird. I went to a health food store to buy a multi-mineral supplement, and my vision was off. It was very difficult to read small print.

In the evening I drank 1.5 cups of fresh coconut water and ate some of the flesh. I think it helped a lot. Dinner was carne asada, barbecued corn, refried beans and fresh salsa.

Last night I accidentally used a drinking glass that contained what I thought was water, but turned out to be mineral water! Argh. Hopefully it won't affect my AS today.

So far I am still not hungry. Will try to eat more today. <--- (comment only found in Shangri-La Diet Land, ha ha).

Gelsemium

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

I'm finally getting some real losses in my measurements by incorporating crazy spicing. It's amazing how well that works!

I also have got the strange desire for tasting sweet things, but not wanting to necessarily eat sweet things.

One night none of the fruit I had on hand sounded good, so I decided to take a small bite out of a Trader Joe's dark chocolate with almonds bar that has been languishing uneaten in one of my kitchen cabinets the last few weeks. BLECH! It tasted awful and I had to spit it out.

Now I mainly just drink iced tea sweetened with stevia and xylitol, or take 1/4 or so teaspoon of honey and swish it around my mouth before swallowing.

Gelsemium

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Went to a doctor's appointment today and got weighed; I'm down to 199, and have lost seven pounds since 9/9. Not bad, although my measurements are about the same (lately they fluctuate a lot day to day) but my waist is back up again. :(

She

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

Hello from a fellow hypo, reader of Matt's 'Eat for Heat' and possibly recovering orthorexic. I say possibly because I don't know if I was that bad, but we followed WAPF for about 10 years. In the last year or so I've relaxed about food quite a bit.

Hopefully this will be the charm for both of us.

Gelsemium

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »

Hi She, thanks for the comment.

I'm a long-time follower of the WAPF as well, although like you I have also relaxed about food. But TBH this diet makes it very easy not to want any junk whatsoever.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

She

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »

I am finding foods that usually are just sweet enough are suddenly too sweet. i don't know if that's an effect of SLD or not - but it's interesting.

Gelsemium

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »

I went for a follow-up appointment at the doctor's today. I'm down 3 pounds to 196 since my post on 10/7, although my measurements haven't changed in a month.

Blood pressure was 102/65.

I got the results of labwork done from 10/7, and my fasting blood sugar was 77, the lowest it's ever been since I started measuring a couple of years ago. The only other change I've made is going gluten-free again, although I was gluten-free  for more than five years up until last year around Summer of 2012.

Gelsemium

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »

I am finding foods that usually are just sweet enough are suddenly too sweet. i don't know if that's an effect of SLD or not - but it's interesting.

I believe it is an effect of the SLD. I experience it often.

babyhopes

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:28 AM »

congrats on the three pound loss, hang in there for the measurements to change, as you said, sometimes it is very slow to change.

Gelsemium

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »

Thanks babyhopes! :-)

I know I'm losing somewhere, as my clothes are fitting better.

I am now able to wear a tight jean skirt that I haven't been able to fit in since last year, and also a black mini-skirt that used to constantly ride up so I stopped wearing it. Today I wore it and it was fine.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18