Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Oil capsules versus just oil?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil capsules versus just oil?  (Read 3819 times)

euripides

Oil capsules versus just oil?
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »

Based on Seth's response here (http://blog.sethroberts.net/2012/11/15/bayesian-shangri-la-diet/#comment-1051759) I'm using capsules (softgels) rather than straight oil. It's just easier for me. The main issue is cost, but if this thing works it'll be worth it.

One practical question though. I've assumed that when calculating my flavorless calories -- I'm a big guy, so after I few days ramp up I went straight to 400 calories -- I should count not just the oil, but the entire capsule. A typical softgel can have up to 10 non-oil calories, presumably mostly protein in the gelatin capsule itself. In other words, I may be consuming something like 300 cals of oil, plus 100 cals of flavorless gelatin.

Am I right to do that? The entire softgel is completely flavorless, oil and capsule, and from Seth's comment above that's the key factor.

That said, Seth did also say, of the required quantity, that one would need: "about 30, too many, in my opinion". That's about right. I'm consuming about 34 of the little beggars every day. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why he mentioned 30 as being too many (other than maybe cost which, as I say, I'm OK with)? Seth, you in the vicinity and able to comment on that? Was it just you'd personally prefer an oily drink than knocking back 30+ fairly big-ass softgels?

P.S. I'm trying both flax and fish. In the first week, both seem to be fine. No flavors (no fishy burps) and a respectable weight loss of 8lbs in 8 days. *Little* bit on the diarrhea side of things, but some people seem to report that with just plain oil anyway.
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Oil capsules versus just oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:27:28 AM »

I said I thought 30 was too many because of the difficulty of swallowing so many day after day after day.

euripides

Re: Oil capsules versus just oil?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

I said I thought 30 was too many because of the difficulty of swallowing so many day after day after day.
I hadn't seen that specifically, but I can confirm that it could become an issue. The capsules I'm taking are fairly chunky wee beasties and after the initial enthusiasm it is indeed becoming a bit annoying to have to slug back 24 a day  (I've moved to even larger, 17.5 cal softgels). On the one hand it could be easier to do it in three goes of 8, but on the other hand, taking them all over a single 5 minute period at least "gets it over with".

But it's not so much difficulty as just mildly inconvenient. That said, I have no problem swallowing pills. For people who don't like doing it -- I have one friend is bordering on phobic about pill swallowing -- then what I'm trying is probably a non-starter.
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18