Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
If you miss a day of oil, do you have to start over?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you miss a day of oil, do you have to start over?  (Read 4744 times)

amethyst

If you miss a day of oil, do you have to start over?
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

I read on this forum that the AS could take 6-7 weeks to kick in.  I've been trying SLD on and off for a while and have never experienced any AS.  A week ago, I resolved to try it for 7 weeks straight before giving up.  The problem is that I forgot to take the oil last Friday.  If I forget for one day, do I have to restart the 7 weeks?  I bought the book recently but haven't read it yet (crazy busy at work) so I don't know if this has been addressed in the book and apologize if it has been.  Thanks!

August

Re: If you miss a day of oil, do you have to start over?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »

I didn't really feel AS much when I first started, but I also had a problem with oils.  Most oils gave me a headache and it wasn't until I found walnut oil didn't give me a headache that I could settle into a routine.
There is also the habit; when I first started feeling AS I didn't notice feeling less hungry as much I as noticed feeling full faster.  I suddenly realized I was eating a massive amount for supper.  I remember days when I actually wanted to cheat and I could only eat a limited amount before feeling uncomfortably full. So, I started making my meals smaller, often weighing out four ounces of meat and four ounces of some vegetable, eating it, and then waiting twenty minutes to see if I would be hungry or feel full.  I usually felt full.
I'd just keep going if I were you.  I took 2tbsps of walnut oil, and for a long time, that was just breakfast.  I don't think you necessarily have to recount based on forgetting one time, but then again, I think the cost versus benefit on SLD is such that just doing it for a while is worth the investment. 

euripides

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »

I read on this forum that the AS could take 6-7 weeks to kick in.  I've been trying SLD on and off for a while and have never experienced any AS.  A week ago, I resolved to try it for 7 weeks straight before giving up.  The problem is that I forgot to take the oil last Friday.  If I forget for one day, do I have to restart the 7 weeks?  I bought the book recently but haven't read it yet (crazy busy at work) so I don't know if this has been addressed in the book and apologize if it has been.  Thanks!

I don't yet understand the guts of the SLD theory, but I have seen nothing yet that would imply that a one day miss somehow sets you back to the start. I very much doubt that would be the issue. A few possibilities (but remember, I'm a newbie myself, so take this with a pinch of oil) are:

a. you're not taking enough flavorless calories.
How many are you taking, what do you weigh, and how overweight are you?

c. Something like what is described here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=8364.msg106598#msg106598 In other words, it's done what it's going to do for you, and now you need to find out what else is going on in your core diet.

c. it simply won't work for you. Some people report that it works; some report it doesn't. There isn't enough (any?) solid, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind evidence to be able to conclude that the latter are simply not doing it right. Obesity is a complex thing and SLD may simply be hitting one or just a few of multiple causes

But go for a. first. How much oil etc are you slugging back?
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

amethyst

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »

I'm taking 2 tablespoons of ELOO per day.  I'm not overweight, but I'd like to lose 17 pounds.  (I'm 5'4", 137 lbs; would like to be 120.)

euripides

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »

I'm taking 2 tablespoons of ELOO per day.  I'm not overweight, but I'd like to lose 17 pounds.  (I'm 5'4", 137 lbs; would like to be 120.)
So IIRC that's the right "dose" from Seth's book. But I don't think it's that precise. The only restriction he places there is on going above 400cals per day, and even there he's merely saying he doesn't advise it because it goes beyond what we know and because it would begin to give you too many calories from fats, risking crowding out carbs and proteins.

So why not experiment with that oil amount. Push it up by 50cals a day for 7 days. If no result, push it up another 50 cals. If you get to 400 and still zero effect, report back. If the ELOO "dose response" isn't wildly unusual, then it's at least possible there's a fairly linear portion around the middle[1]. So if you're seeing nothing right now, and 400-ish is the upper range (which sounds even more reasonable for someone of your size), then if you *don't* see an improvement running the experiment I just described, it would be both surprising but also a useful data point.

One other point though. You say you're not "overweight" but still want to lose over 10% of your current bodyweight. Why is that?

[1] And you may still be below that linear portion on the sigmoid curve.
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

amethyst

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »

So here's what I started doing today.  I've been getting more and more concerned about the amount of omega-6 fatty acids I'm consuming in the 2 Tbsp of ELOO.  Of all the things that one can take for SLD, coconut oil is the healthiest, and I have no problem taking 2 (or even 3) Tbsp of it every day.  Coconut oil was the first thing that I tried.  I tried it for about 10 days but experienced no AS.  I was really impatient back then so kept switching oils.  I switched to walnut oil (what I think is probably the second best oil), but that just made me feel sick (and didn't cause any AS, except when I was feeling sick).  Finally, I switched to ELOO and was determined to give this a good-faith try for 7 weeks. 

But, then, of course, I became concerned about the omega-6-content of ELOO.  And I've started reading the book, which kind of made me want to try sugar water.  So what I did today was I dissolved 9.4 g of glucose in some hot water, then added 15 g of coconut oil.  Let the oil melt, stir, and chug.  That was my first "dose" this morning.  In the late afternoon, I took one tablespoon of ELOO.  Altogether, this should be just under 50 calories more than normal.  I'll aim for an extra 50 calories starting from tomorrow. 

I want to lose 10% of my bodyweight for vanity reasons.  I was stable at 125 for a long time, and that was nice.  If I were 125 again, I wouldn't kill myself to lose the last 5 pounds.  But at my current weight, a lot of my shirts don't fit properly anymore because most/all of my weight goes to my belly.  And I'm not about to go out and buy a bunch of new shirts.  Anyway, I really don't look good at this weight. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18