Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
It's been a month and NO AS. What's going on here?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's been a month and NO AS. What's going on here?  (Read 5851 times)

Shelly S

It's been a month and NO AS. What's going on here?
« on: March 03, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »

Hi everyone. Sorry in advance for the long post. I'm trying to figure out why SLD isn't working for me because I'm following it to the letter. I bought Seth's book and read it 3 times to make sure I understood everything and started SLD on February 1st with 4 TBS ELOO daily (2 in the morning when I wake up and 2 at night before going to bed). Yes, ELOO, not EVOO. I made sure I got that right. I chose that over the sugar water since my family has a history of diabetes.

I started with 2 TBS to get used to the oil and over a couple of days, worked up to 4 TBS, based on my weight. I have no problem drinking the oil with a little water and I don't taste it. I follow the 2 hour window religiously. But for the past month I have not experienced ANY appetite suppression. None. Zip. Zero. In fact, I've had several days where I was starving out of my head!

For the record, I am female, 45, 5'2", 215, not taking any prescription meds, my hormone levels are fine and I rarely, if ever, take any OTC meds. I only drink water (at least a liter or 2 a day) and the occasional decaf coffee with fat free half and half and stevia, no alcohol, no diet sodas. I'm in pretty good health and for the most part, I eat fairly well (moderate carb). I have a small organic garden so I eat fresh veggies and salads daily. I also know the difference between real physical hunger and a craving.

One of my problems in losing weight has always been that I am hungry every 2-3 hours. I gauge this by asking myself, "Am I hungry enough to eat green beans?" If the answer is yes, I'm truly hungry. If the answer is no, I'm probably just craving or wanting to eat emotionally so I don't give in to that. However, more often than not, I am actually feeling real hunger so I eat a lot of smaller meals several times a day. And since I only eat when I'm hungry, if I'm hungry during a time when I'm also wanting to eat emotionally, I might eat popcorn (homemade on the stove and adding butter) and sweets, but only until I'm satisfied. I don't overeat but I choose smaller portions of something high-calorie over low calorie often enough to keep the weight on apparently.

I don't eat fast food and I cook most of my meals. I also work for a catering company occasionally and we get one meal in 8 hrs and it is whatever we are serving that night, but it is different every time unless I eat the mac and cheese that is almost always on the menu.

I really wanted this to work because I have been on diets my entire life and they end up becoming a full time job (planning, shopping, measuring, counting calories/carbs, etc.) and I just can't go there again. The few times in my life when I have had some appetite suppression (like one blissful week when I was doing Atkins but then the AS stopped), it felt amazing to not be hungry all the time and I really want that feeling again. Dieting without some AS is next to impossible for me.

I also started a new exercise regimen this month. I quit my gym and I'm doing kettlebell swings a few days a week plus my exercise bike at home. I've always been an exerciser but in the months previous, we were pretty busy with work and I was too tired to exercise.

I started the month out at 216 and ended it at 215. I have not changed my eating other than to add more veggies and had no AS. I also had many days where I was just ravenous, which is frustrating.

Halfway into  the month and no AS, I started nose-clipping a meal or two daily, probably an extra 300-500 cals. This was difficult. The clips are painful and when I nose-clip, I can't tell if I'm satiated or not so I have to measure out the portion I would normally eat and then eat it. After I take the nose clips off, if I find out 20 minutes later that I'm still hungry, I'm screwed since I recall seeing that you are supposed to follow the 2 hr window if you do this.

I haven't switched oils yet since ELOO seemed to be the preferred method for most people and I didn't want to start back at square one if AS was just around the corner.

Also, I haven't noticed any improvement in my sleep. The oil has made me kind of constipated and my skin is worse. I've had more breakouts and acne on my face this month than I've had in the last year and at the same time, the skin on my body is ridiculously dry and no amount of lotion seems to make a difference.

I've been lurking on this forum for the past month because I've never been a big poster on any forum, but I need help.

Given how much weight I need to lose to even be at a normal weight, I thought this would work but I need some incentive to keep at it since I'm not getting results and I'm just not sure what to do here.

Thanks in advance for any help!

woodysworld

Re: It's been a month and NO AS. What's going on here?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »

Hi Shelly,

Sorry your having a frustrating time.

Short of telling you to start measuring and counting portions and
calories, which I know you don't want to do, maybe switch up the
times that you take your oil instead.

So say, eat breakfast, and then even if you're not hungry an hour
later, do ONE oil shot... then after you eat lunch, do another one an
hour after that... etc.

So if you're taking four oil shots a day, put them between your meals and snacks
instead of first thing in the morning or before bed.

I would say, that if you're waking up in the middle of the night starving, then
the oil shots before bed would be good, but if you're not, then the AS is maybe
just wasted on sleeping when you're not hungry anyway.

I know that for some, taking the oil before bed helps with AS the next day, but I
know it doesn't for me, so you may want to switch that up as well.

In other news, I had to chuckle at your test of "real hunger" with your green beans.

I do the same thing with hard boiled eggs.

Hard boiled egg doesn't sound DELICIOUS? Then you're not hungry! Ha!

All righty, welp, I wish you much luck, and if all else fails, I guess you could
start tracking your cals again. I know it sucks, but sometimes we gotta do it
just to see what those meals are adding up to.

Julie

Morex

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:03 AM »

Hi Julie!

I am not an expert and I am about to be 2 months under SLD, but so far, so good.

It seems you are doing everything by the book, except the part of the experimenting, which is a vital part of SLD.

The super strong AS I have now took a month and a week to get to me, so please be patient and keep at it. AS will come.

Now, several people have to experiment with oils and times. I started using canola and I stayed there because I was lucky it worked since day 1.

But my girlfriend had to made a lot of experiments. She begun with only 2 oil tbps, but AS never came. So she rised to 3 tbsps. Canola gave her gastritis! She switched to SW, but it was too much sugar and gave her a headache. She switched to EVOO and couldn't stand the feeling. Too "spicy". So she settled with 1 ELOO (nose clipped) plus a glass of SW in the morning. Before bed she has 1 tbsp of ELOO (nose clipped). Now her AS is super strong like mine and she's losing weight and sizes like there's no tomorrow!

So the thing is, experiment! Change oils! Try SW! Change the times! Every human body is different, you just have to find the sweet spot.

And be patient. This is key. And patience involves taking your oil and go about your business. Don't become obsessed or you'll fail.

Good luck :)

Shelly S

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »

Hi Julie and Morex,

Thanks for writing. I will try some experiementing. I hadn't wanted to because I kept thinking AS would be right around the corner. I will consider spacing out my oil. I tried that one day and was so ravenous after breakfast that I barely made my 2 hour window. I don't wake up in the middle of the night hungry at all, though I do tend to snack later in the evening and I never wake up hungry even without the oil, so I think you are right that the evening oil is just wasted on sleeping. I did try several days taking it first thing in the morning and then again in the afternoon, but still had no AS.

I don't want to go back to calorie counting because I have no AS and calorie counting without any AS means I'm just dieting and not lowering my setpoint.

That was really funny about the hard boiled eggs. I can't stand hard boiled eggs so if they sounded delicious to me, I'd be starving!!! LOL.

I tried SW one day and blech! No AS and just felt yucky -- too much sugar for me. I just bought some flax oil so I think I will try nose clipping flax oil for a period of time and see if that makes a difference. I could also try canola oil.

I think the hard part is all the experimenting. There are so many different things to try that it can be overwhelming for me, especially if for some reason, it just doesn't work after many months of trying different things.

Best,
Shelly

Titania

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »

Are you still here? I am in the same boat as you. Nearly two months now. I'm not sure why I keep it up  - but I'm not giving up quite yet.

Titania

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »

Two months now, and nothing. I tried upping the oil, I tried various oils. Just a lot of nausea from oil.  I tried SW - that just made me feel dizzy. I don't get why it works so well for others - but it does nothing for me. I was so hoping this would un-stick my stubborn set-point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18