Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
SLD only for really overweight people?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SLD only for really overweight people?  (Read 4008 times)

AndyS

SLD only for really overweight people?
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »

I have read this forum in detail and am wondering if SLD is effective for only extremely overweight people?

In other words, a really overweight person might be consuming 4000 calories per day. The oil adds 300 calories, but that 300 calories brings enough AS to reduce the daily 4000 calories to 3000, thereby producing a net loss of 700 calories per day, or 4900 per week. That's about 1.5 lbs weight loss per week (a pound is 3500 calories). The math works in this case... basically cutting back 4000 calories per day is a "low hanging fruit" type of problem.

How about a slightly overweight person looking to lose 10 pounds? They may be consuming 1500 calories a day. Subtract 300 for the oil and that leaves 1200. That is enough for 3 snack type meals per day and absolutely nothing extra (no extra bite of chocolate, no serving of chips, etc). This is very hard to do.

Are there any folks here who were only slightly overweight prior to SLD, and can share some thoughts/observations?

gte

Re: SLD only for really overweight people?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:45 PM »

I'm not overweight and I can tell you that it has been very hard indeed. I'm
more or less at the same weight I was when I started. On the other hand I
don't see anything easier. With SLD at least I eat whatever I feel like eating
and I don't have to avoid this or that. Of course I end up avoiding lots of
stuff, however it is reassuring to know that I can have anything I want (which
I also do occasionally).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:41:50 AM by gte »

AndyS

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »

gte, thanks for your reply. It's true, the SLD is relatively easy, except that for a person with a daily intake of 1500-1800 calories, the 300 calories for oil is a 20% "sacrifice". However, for someone taking in 3000-4000 calories a day (how that's even possible boggles my mind), just the act of not eating for a 2 hour window, twice a day, will lead to weight loss.

euripides

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »

Hey Andy, I'm new to the forum, and this is an old thread, but just a point to add to your analysis:

In other words, a really overweight person might be consuming 4000 calories per day.

You're right that they might be, but they needn't necessarily be. I'm such a really overweight person -- 300lbs and 5'8", BMI in the mid 40's -- but I have gained that weight over all of my adult life. In fact, I have the data to show that my *daily average* excess over the past 30 years or so, is a mere 50. Of course it could be that I have a zero excess for long periods and then binge on the sort of 3K-4K amounts you mention. All I can say is, I don't. I certainly have managed occasionally to stuff more than 3K down my face in a single day, on a day like Thanksgiving or Christmas for example. But so have all my other male friends, some of whom are as thin as rakes.

...just the act of not eating for a 2 hour window, twice a day, will lead to weight loss.

I think that's a very good point. I wondered about the same thing here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=8403.msg107055#msg107055

The impact on consumption of waiting a little is *definitely* non zero, but there's not remotely enough good data to say that's all that's going on for the morbidly obese on SLD. (That said, there's not remotely enough good data about SLD in the first place, so whatchagonna do? :) )

FWIW, I started SLD last week, and so far I've lost roughly a pound/day. Mere correlation, or positive causation? Dunno yet, too early to say.
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18