Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Morex's adventures in SLD

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Morex's adventures in SLD  (Read 51996 times)

Morex

Re: Morex's adventures in SLD
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

I just have it directly from the spoon without breathing. Afterwards I pinch my nose so I can't use it and breath through my mouth for a few minutes.

Then I drink a little water.

It's a little gross at first, but then you get used to it. It's better to endure a little gross oil than to be overweight for life, so I take it gladly.

What's really important is that you don't taste the oil at all.

Morex

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »

Week 6

Losing weight and AS is super strong.

I have recommended SLD to a couple of friends and they just laugh at me. I don't mind because I'm the one losing weight :)

So everything is going as normal. Which is funny because now I have found that I am pretty used to my baby small meals.

I keep on running and did my first half marathon. Looking forward for the second one.

Still taking 4 tbsps of canola. Works like a charm.

Also we noticed that doing SLD we produce a lot less garbage. SLD is eco friendly, and that's a huge WIN for us!

All is good living in Shangri-la!

babyhopes

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 02:29:35 AM »

thanks for telling me how you take it, i do it similarly. Also, congrats on making it to week 6 with very good AS, i cant wait to be running again, i need to drop some more weight, I am way too heavy right now.

Morex

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »

Week 7

It's Thursday! Time for a mini SLD update from yours trully.

This week was pretty cool. SLD has become part of our life. We buy groceries and cook according to our tiny meals.

Here's an example of a typical breakfast:

Half a bran cookie and coffee. All meals are small like that! Awesome!

A few days ago I was a little concerned because I though I was constipated. But due to the small amounts of food I've been having, it's logical that my loo visits would be reduced.

Still I've been having a little All-Bran and everything's back to normal.

I changed my second oil shot to the nights, before going to bed. AS has increased by the morning! Impressive.

Of course I have been losing a lot of weight. Every single piece of clothing I own is loose. Also, I gained a couple of new things. A few years ago I bought a pair of cargo shorts. I never got to wear them because I was too big! Now I fit in them :D

Still haven't been able to get into a scale, but will report as soon as I can.

Photos of me, my clothes and meals, coming soon!

woodysworld

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »

You're on fire, Morex, good for you!

Can't wait to see the upcoming pics.

Don't know where you're located, but here today
in NorCal it's going to be SEVENTY FOUR (march? what?)

So get those shorts on and get out here! Ha!

Julia

babyhopes

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »

congrats to you, so happy for you that it is still working so well for you!! may we all be successful in this journey to greater health and prosperity

Morex

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »

Thanks, guys.

I'll keep on posting my progress.

BTW today I noticed that I do need to replace ALL of my clothes. Specially underwear. They fall off!!  :-[

Morex

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »

Month 2!!

So here's my update for month 2.

AS is still super strong and I eat baby-like portions. No matter how many weeks I am in SLD, it never ceases to impress me.

Shangri-La has been a fantastic adventure but the learning part is what I value the most. I now know I am in control of what I eat. If I want I have a piece of chocolate or some peanuts, but food is no longer in command.

Food is no longer an obstacle or an excuse. This is FANTASTIC! For 40 years I had a horrible relationship with food. It commanded my every activity in the day. I was always on the look for better flavors and foods that would quench my never fading hunger. This is no longer an issue.

Thanks to SLD, I quit junk food. I no longer crave for it and when I have tasted it, it's horrible! Too salty and greasy. Or too sweet. That means no soda, pizza, chips, donuts, candy or anything like that. When I want something sweet in the afternoon, I'd have a teaspoon of honey and that's it.

I no longer drink industrial amounts of coffee. A couple of cups every morning is just fine.

Home finances have been great. We eat so little that we are saving the extra cash. Who knows, we could soon afford a nice vacation on the beach! (Vacations for Mexicans in Mexico are VERY expensive. We need all the extra money possible to afford them.)

Lastly, I realized a couple of days ago that since we have been doing SLD, our days are longer! Because of the fact that we eat so very little portions, we are barely cooking. And when we do, it lasts for about 4 days!

Before SLD we spent about an hour a meal. 30 mins. cooking, and 30 mins. eating. Some days it was longer, depending on what we cooked. That means that we spent about 3 or 4 hours a day cooking and eating.

Now we prepare meals in about 10 minutes and eat in about 5!!! That's right. For breakfast I have half a bran cookie, some cereal or some fruit. For lunch I just heat up in the microwave something we cooked. For dinner we have a little oatmeal or cereal.

And that's it!

My days are longer for 3 hours! We have been reading our books (we're book worms here), watching movies we didn't have the time to watch and going out for walks!!

FREAKING AWESOME!

Now you must be asking... what about the weight? 

Well, I've been losing a lot of it. I have no idea how much because I don't have a scale and I won't obsess about numbers. All I know is that before SLD I was size 44. Today I am 38, which I haven't been able to wear since I was in the University (19 years old).

So here are some pictures.

This is me before SLD and running. I wore pants size 44 and XXL t-shirts. I was getting too big and I did buy a couple of XXXL t-shirts. That's what made me realize I needed to do something.

Before SLD, I started running. I did lose some weight, but hunger and food got always in the way. This is me finishing a 10K race. Still chubby.

This is me at 1 month in SLD, finishing my first half marathon.

This is me TODAY! I'm wearing an XL t-shirt and pants size 38. Where did my butt go? AWESOME! (I'm making a funny face, not my real face)

I'm having 2 tbsps of CO by 12:00 PM and 2 tbsps CO by 10:00 PM. I pinch my nose so I don't taste it and then I have some water. Super easy. And that's it.

Why I won't obsess about numbers on a scale? Because I have found that numbers are a huge cause of stress and they don't mean anything when you're tall. For Mexican standards I'm pretty tall at 6.2". Even if I lose weight, I'll still be heavy! So measuring progress with pants sizes is fine for me.

What's my goal? Maybe I'll go down as far as size 36. I don't know.

What I do know is that I want to keep on living in Shangri-la for the rest of my life. When I get to size 36, I'll get into maintenance stage and I hope I can still have small meals.

I'll never tire of saying this: I am so very grateful for SLD and for what Seth has done for us. He might have found a cure for obesity.

And to me, that's pushing humanity forward.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:49 AM »

Thanks! That's so nice to hear. And I love the pictures.

I too was impressed by all the time I saved. It's been more than ten years, I still have several more hours in the day than before.

How did you learn about SLD? What was your initial reaction?

Seth

Seth Roberts

• Administrator

Morex

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »

How did you learn about SLD? What was your initial reaction?

Hi Seth!

In December 2012 I got a hold of Freakonomics. I finished it on January 2013 and I loved it.

I had never heard of SLD, but I was captivated by your findings and theory.

I read the article about SLD twice because it was really really interesting. Having been fighting off weight and food all my life, SLD sounded like something I should try.

The next day I googled and spent some hours reading your site, the forums and other blog posts.

What captivated me the most was the science part of it. I am a skeptic and I am very oriented towards science, so looking at all your data and research just made sense. Specially the set point theory and how flavor hooks you up to look for having even more flavor.

Flavor and more tasty food is what kept me and my family fat for generations. Food in my family is all about pleasure, not nutrition. The tastier, saltier, greasiest and sweeter, the better. And of course this lead me to eat more and be always hungry.

The other thing that I loved was the down to earth approach you have.

I'm sure you've noticed, but a lot of weight loss systems are full of crap.

On one hand they miss the point of flavor. At all! Every single diet I tried shouted "Eat tasty food and lose weight". That's why they fail!

On the other hand, a lot of diets try hard to be a "spiritual system" of sorts. They sell you the idea that you will reach harmony with your inner self, achieve communication with your soul, and a lot of BS.

As a skeptic and a Zen Buddhist, I found this laughable.

What I love about SLD is the pragmatic approach. You say: Here's the scientific evidence. Here's the knowledge and success of hundreds of people. Here's how to do it. Try it and experiment.

And looking at how easy is to do it, I simply had to try it.

So, on January 10th 2013 (Thursday), I decided to give it a go. I had my first 2 spoonfuls of CO at 6:00 AM and by breakfast at 8:00 AM, I found that appetite was unusually smaller. So I ate half as much. That was also true for lunch and dinner.

When my girlfriend saw I was starting to eat less, she joined me the very next day.

A week after that I bought the book and was able to fine tune my method.

It was all fine. We were eating smaller portions. But right after the first month, super strong AS kicked and it's been like that ever since.

Oh, I forgot to mention in the update. My taste for food has changed a lot. For some strange reason now I found jalapeņos really tasty and I love honey. Both foods were not attractive to me before.

So that's my personal story so far.

Why I consider you might have discovered the cure for obesity? I live in the second more obese country in the world. Mexico has some super tasty dishes all over. Almost all Mexicans quit drinking water because it's flavorless, so they turned to Coca-Cola and sodas. All our food is greasy, spicy and salty. Parties and family reunions are like eating contests. Portions of drinks, meals and snacks are gigantic!

We are fat and in really bad shape. And it won't get better any time soon. Too many companies profit from our obesity, even the government.

SLD puts you in control and educates you about flavors, taste and human portions. Talk about returning to balance.

I wish more people here had access to SLD here.

Anyway, the more I do SLD and learn, the more I think. I'll write more about this in the future.

But at any rate...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

PS Thanks for the blog post! It's an honor :)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »

That's very interesting what you say about Mexicans no longer drinking water because it's flavorless. I noticed the same thing in myself.  Maybe the obesity epidemic was a 2-step process: 1. People demand more flavor in their food because their diet has become highly flavored (via junk and factory food, which is more flavored than home cooked food). 2. People eat more and more junk and factory food. Because it tastes exactly the same each time (ditto food), it is much more fattening than home cooked food, which varies more.

Mexican food helped me believe my ideas. One day, in the 1990s, I was talking with a Berkeley student about my ideas. I told her that my theory predicted that people should weigh less when they eat beans because beans have a low glycemic index. She said her boyfriend, who was from Mexico, used be thin when he ate lots of beans (in Mexico). When he stopped eating lots of beans, and switched to typical American food, he gained a lot of weight, she told me. This conversation inspired me to measure the effect of eating food with a low-glycemic index. I easily lost about 6 pounds, and the low-glycemic-index diet was easy to maintain. This was a big reason I decided my theory had a lot of truth to it. It made a correct prediction (eating beans would cause weight loss).

This was before people started publishing books promoting a low-glycemic-index diet.

Morex

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »

There are a lot of problems with Mexican food now a days.

It's true that corn, beans and rice are the base of our dishes, but I can see these problems also:

• Factory food is everywhere now. It's not cheap, but it's easier. People are no longer cooking as much as they did. They prefer to buy processed stuff because it's faster.
  • Poverty. This is a huge issue here. A lot of Native Mexican mothers give children Coca-Cola because it's cheaper than milk and fills you up with less food. Terrible, I know. Kids grow up craving for soda, not milk or water. Now plain water is marketed for women who want to live a healthy lifestyle. Soda is marketed for the rest of us.
  • Companies. They compete with each other, so their goods are much more flavored all the time. And the food offer is huge.
  • Education. You know how kids are learning the alphabet here? A is for Aritos (onion flavored corn chips) . B is for Bimbo (bread). C is for Coca-Cola. They creating new generations of consumers and fat people! 

... and I could go on.

The thing is, the more flavor we get, the more hooked we are. This has lead us to the alarming fact that 7 out of 10 people are overweight! Of course heart disease and diabetes are the main cause of mortality.

It's a national health emergency and despite the efforts the Ministry of Health has done, people keep on eating crap and drinking sodas.

This was also my case. You just can't stop eating.

I was very, very lucky to get a copy of Freakonomics, really. (And also being fluent in English has saved my arse many times)

If you have time, here are some links for your reading pleasure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Mexico

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2011/09/06/mexico-leads-world-in-consumption-sugary-drinks-study-says/

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/11/20/175181/mexico-facing-a-diabetes-disaster.html

And just found a few minutes ago:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/26/salt-sugar-fat-qa-with-author-michael-moss/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:29:24 AM by Morex »

babyhopes

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »

thanks Morex and Seth for all the education. I have heard that going away from the traditional diets of peoples have been a very big disaster and a source of massive obesity. It is all about flavor in my opinion. thats yet another reason that crazy spicing works so well as an SLD technique, it works wonders for me. I am waiting to get more spice blends and then i will be experimenting more with this.

Morex

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

Week 9

AS has been still super strong and everything is going as expected.

I've noticed my face has cleaned up from grease, zits and pimples. That's pretty cool.

Yesterday we had to eat out because we went to see a client. So we went to Church's Fried Chicken. Since I have been eating so small portions, I ordered the kids meal... and it was gigantic! Next time we have to eat out, we'll ask for just 1 kids meal for the two of us. And that is so freaking cool!

The downside of having eating fast food is that the rest of the day I felt terrible. All full and bloated. It's not worth it to try and eat more than what I eat under SLD.

Now the biggest news is this:

I AM NO LONGER EXTRA SIZE!! I can now buy clothes where normal people do!!

WOOHOO!!   ;D ;D ;D

Last Sunday we went to an apartment store and I decided to try on some pants, just for the hell of it. I decided I'm not going to buy until I get to maintenance phase.

So I tried 2 different 38 size pants and the both fitted perfectly!

I think I was 19 years old when I started to use extra sizes... and I'm 40 now. This is a huge thing for me.

On another news, I'll run another half marathon on Sunday. Hope I don't die. :)

Lets go for another week!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18