Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newbie question

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 3594 times)

fayeb

Newbie question
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »

Hi - I am new at the Shangri La Diet and I have a question regarding the consumption of wine.
I have come to the understanding that I have failed in all previous weight loss attempts because I enjoy to much wine - 2-3 glasses most nights.  I am attempting to cut this down/out and wonder if nose clipping would help with this?  will that help me to lose the flavour for the wine and not want it anymore or does it just help my body not to recognise the calorie factor?  I am still trying to sort it all out and would appreciate any help from YOU in the know  :D

euripides

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »

Hey fayeb, I see you never got an answer at the time, so this might be too late.

[Will nose-clipping] help me to lose the flavour for the wine and not want it anymore or does it just help my body not to recognise the calorie factor?

The latter. The theory behind SLD (insofar as I can make out) does *not* suggest it would necessarily help you cut out wine.

The rough theory is this. Consuming calories with no associated flavor (e.g by consuming calories that *have no* flavor, or via something like nose clipping to reduce the olfactory components of flavor) results in a lowering of the body's "set point". One of the body's primary mechanism for then achieving that lowered set point is to reduce your appetite.

If that theory is correct, then it doesn't seem to offer any mechanism -- other than lowering your general appetite for food -- for reducing your wine intake.

I myself don't drink alcohol, but most of my friends do. Anytime they've commented that they "really need to not drink so much" -- and by that they mean only what you're talking about, not alcoholism levels of consumption -- subsequent questioning[1] revealed that the reason they drink is not the same as the reason I overeat. A major reason they drink alcohol is for the alcohol effect, and less for the calorific/taste/sugar/whatever-the-reason-I-love-cheesecake effect.

I don't *think* nose-clipping has much to offer on lowering one's "appetite" for the alcohol effect. That said, why not try it and see?

[1]  As a non-drinker I was intrigued as to *why* people would drink, and then when I figured it out I was intrigued why they'd want to drink less! :-)
Start (March 7 2013): 292.8lbs
Target - Phase 1: 275lbs
Target - Overall : 160lbs

Rok

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:54 AM »

Alcohol is empty calories. You may want to cut it down or eliminate totally. It beats the purpose where in on one side you want to reduice weight and on the other you are doing things which will not support your desire.
---------------------------
Phase-1 Target: 75 Kg
---------------------------

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18