Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Burma experiment

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Burma experiment  (Read 5319 times)

chelsear

The Burma experiment
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

I started SLD yesterday and already have some decent AS. I weigh 155 and eventually would like to get to the low 130s, but even the mid-140s mean much better-fitting clothes on my 5'5" medium-frame body.
On the 22nd I leave for a biking trip in Burma (yes I know that's not the current name, but I am old [71] and to me it will always be Burma).
Although I'm a former food writer, dedicated cook and adventurous eater, I've never had Burmese food so I plan to make this trip an experiment in Unfamiliar Foods. If I could return from this trip without gaining weight, I'd be thrilled. And don't think the biking itself will be a factor--I've been on 4 previous biking trips and gained weight on every one. Did you know they serve cake for breakfast in Puglia?
And let's not even mention the foie gras sandwiches in Vietnam. And I rode 50 miles one day in Austria and then had a personal pastry festival. I can easily out-eat any amount of exercise.
So. my plan for Burma is to try as many different foods -- particularly differently spiced foods -- as possible and not just fall in love with one or two new foods and eat them every day. Or twice a day.

i

Rok

Re: The Burma experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »

All the best!
Burma is a place of interest for me as well. After the formation of Burma, tho our neighboring country, its a mystery for us...
---------------------------
Phase-1 Target: 75 Kg

Janola

• ~Janola
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

Wow! Biking through Burma sounds like an awesome adventure! I tried some burmese food when I was in Hong Kong several years ago. It was definitely different. Good luck!

I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.
~Robert H. Schuller

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »

I was surprised to come home from a trip to Holland -- full of cheese and salami -- and discover I'd lost weight. I visited a big company cafeteria (ING bank) where because of construction (the regular cafeteria was closed) they had very cheap prices. Maybe it helped that most of the time I only ate when I was hungry. No forced meals.

shovelqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:11 AM »

Ha!  I always swore that if I lived in Germany - the land of delicious cheap cheese and crusty buns - I would probably weight 300 lbs!  But I visit extended family and a lot of "forced eating" happens.  Good on you for maintaining your intake to real hunger.  What are you doing for SLD calories these days?  Anything?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »

for SLD calories these days I eat: 1. cheese with my nose clipped. 2. butter with my nose clipped. 3. yogurt fruit ground flaxseed & honey with my nose clipped. 4. Yakult with my nose clipped. Very easy.

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »

I had to look up Yakult.  Sort of like kefir, is it?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

I had to look up Yakult.  Sort of like kefir, is it?

No, Yakult is much simpler. Kefir has many bacteria. Yakult is just a delivery system for a bacterium that digests lactose. Halfway between yogurt and a probiotic.

Rok

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:07:41 AM »

I am surprised to see the phrase "forced eating" in family context. So very relevant in the Indian culture and I thought it was restricted to just us.

But from the experiences shared above, it looks like this is universal and has no culture boundaries.

~R
Phase-1 Target: 75 Kg

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18