Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
At my wits end

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: At my wits end  (Read 9492 times)

HelenaR

At my wits end
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »

Hi I am new to this forum. I found this diet by googling; there must be an easier way to lose weight
I live in Australia and have never heard of this diet before.
Here is some of my background. Was very thin up to the age of 24 when I gave up smoking. Since that time I have struggle to lose weight. Over four years ago I went onto Atkins and I still on it to this day. It worked very well and I nearly got to my goal bar about 5 pounds. Then after one year I did a bounce and put on some weight. I think my body got use to it. That is my theory anyway. I am now about 12 pounds overweight and I need to lose it. I have recently been told that I have Upper Airways Resistance and that losing the weight will help. I am 58.
In the last three months I have put a lot of effort into losing this weight by going to the gym and doing weights, cutting back on food, doing burst training, fasting. I have always done a lot of walking. This I have continued. But nothing is shifting this weight.
As I am pre diabetic I don't like the idea of sugar water though I could use Stevia. I have no problem with oil and do use Flax oil and coconut oil. At the present point in time I have not purchased the book but I probably will as I am willing to try anything at this point to stop this slide that I seem to be on.
I would appreciate any advice, support or comments.
Cheers

KittyMcKnitty

Re: At my wits end
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »

Hello.  I'm new to the forums, but I've been SLD-ing for a little while now, so I'll give my opinion.

Stevia is not a good idea, because you have to have calories in your flavorless calories, and stevia has almost none.  I would suggest working up to shooting a couple tablespoons of the coconut oil or flax oil with your nose clipped.  Make sure you don't taste anything an hour before or after (the book has the details about why).

You say you are on Atkins - do you eat a lot of cheese or nuts?  I have heard about these causing stalls in many people because they spike insulin much more than you would expect based on their macro-nutrient composition.  I'm a low-carber myself, and I can't eat cheese.

12 pounds isn't much weight, but I know those last few pounds are the hardest to lose.

HelenaR

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

Hi Kitty

I have seen that some Low Carbers stay away from nuts and cheese but I have never known why and have never found a link to it. Would you happen to have one.
I do have a little cheese most days and between 8 to 15 nuts. I will cut them out altogether and see what happens.
I read more on line last night and see your point about the Stevia. I will use coconut oil with my nose held today. I need to buy a clip.
These last pounds are very hard to shift and I have been trying for ages without success.
Last night I ordered the book but it will take up to 3 or 4 weeks to get here. Seth's theory sounds very interesting and I am one who believes in experimenting with one's self.
Thanks for the advice
Helena

KittyMcKnitty

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »

Here's a post from Mark's Daily Apple on dairy and insulin: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/#axzz281Gswl00

I think the problem with nuts is that if they aren't raw, then the fat in them is oxidized.  Also, some nuts (e.g. cashews) are pretty carby.

Chili

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

I suffer from Hypoglyclemia so I only use the oil and it's sufficient to curb my appetite. I don't think you have to do both the oil and SW.

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." Albert Einstein

HelenaR

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »

Hi folks

Thanks for the link Kitty. Very interesting.
Today I did manage to cut my nuts down to about 6 and I had a tiny bit of cheese with my dinner. I will try and cut them down to zero for a bit and see how I go.
Yes Chili I do feel that oil is the way to go for me. It doesn't bother me in the least.
My first day went well. I took the coconut oil about 9pm last night while holding my nose. I was a bit hyped up so I didn't fall to sleep till late. On waking I had a strong coffee with a splash of milk and stevia and had the oil at 11pm. Did my burst exercises before that. Then had lunch at 12. Felt quite hungry which is unusual. Had fresh prawns and salad a small low carb muffin and a bit of yogurt with nuts mixed with flax seed oil and cinnamon. I was a bit hungry all afternoon but oddly by mid afternoon I had to have a sleep. This is something I never do even if I sleep really badly or am sick which is rare.
Took the oil an hour before dinner and was not hungry at all but still had some chicken and salad and another small muffin. Felt like I had a feast !
Now the other interesting thing is that I went into ketosis today http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm
which means that I was seriously fat burning. This is something that I don't do so much unless I have been fasting or fat fasting these days. It was a regular event when I first went onto low carb.
If this continues I will lose this weight off in no time.
I am going to see how I feel later on and may have some oil at 9pm. It is all about experimenting I guess
cheers
Helena

adventurer

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »

Yay!

KittyMcKnitty

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »

Couple things...

... Had fresh prawns and salad a small low carb muffin and a bit of yogurt with nuts mixed with flax seed oil and cinnamon.

I know of people who use glucometers to check their blood sugar after eating different things, and many "low-carb" products have adverse effects.  For example, "low-carb" bread has almost the same results as regular white bread, and worse than regular wheat bread (http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-bread-another-fairy-tale-bites-the-dust).  I stay away from what I call low-carb junk food, because I just don't trust it.  Usually they just add fiber and say "1 net carb", but it doesn't work in your body the same way a real food with 1 gram of carbs would.  Also, as with cheese, the yogurt may be a problem.

... Now the other interesting thing is that I went into ketosis today http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm
which means that I was seriously fat burning. This is something that I don't do so much unless I have been fasting or fat fasting these days. It was a regular event when I first went onto low carb.

That's the coconut oil.  It will put you into ketosis fast.

HelenaR

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »

Thanks Kitty for that low carb bread link. I often go to Jimmy's low carb site and I do respect the man.
In one of Jonny Bowden's books on low carb he went into a very complex explanation on yogurt. If I can find the book and the passage later on I will do a post on it.
As for the so called low carb bread or muffins I will now cut anything like that out altogether.

HelenaR

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:02:50 AM »

Just a quick update. Had the coffee for breakfast and the oil about 11. Was not hungry by the time lunch came around and ended up eating at 1. Just had a bit of cold meat and salad. That seemed to fill me up very well. Then oil at 4ish and had dinner at 6ish chicken and salad. I probably had about 1100 cals today. Did not feel tired today and had good energy though I had a bit of a headache - low level. That is probably the low carbs I am doing. It didn't bother me.
Listened to episode 27 Jenny Ruhl  about problems with low carb diets. Very interesting.
http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/

Also go her counter for losing weight
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

My experience so far with the oil is that I am so less hungry now. Normally I would not be able to eat so light. But time will tell if I lose any weight. I still did my exercises today but not going to the gym until I get the light head of mine out of the way.

HelenaR

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »

Another update. Things went well yesterday though my appetite is a bit odd. I started the morning with coffee then oil mid morning and I was fine. As soon as I had lunch which was boiled eggs and salad I felt empty - not hungry. Then at about 4 I did my resistant exercises and before that I had about 8 nuts. After that I was fine. Had a small dinner and that filled me.
I don't know if I have lost weight as I don't use a scale only use a tape. So it can take weeks before I might see any difference.

I decided to email were I get my low carb bread mix and muffin mix which I then cook myself. I had a few questions for them.
Here is there reply:

The Empower Bread is made from high protein, high fibre, low carb ingredients, unlike many of the American products that talk about “net carbs”. The carb count stated on the pack is calculated to Australian standards and can be used by people following a very strict ketogenic diet.

We worked with University staff when creating our products and all the nutritional information has been carefully tested.

Regards

But regards of this I am going to not have the products for a while and see what happens. If it makes a difference then I will quit the products except for a treat sometimes. If no difference I will go back and use them. The products are very high in protein. In fact much higher than a piece of bread.

KittyMcKnitty

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »

Sounds like you are getting good AS.

It's interesting about the bread.  It sounds like it may be legit, but I wouldn't eat it because the main ingredient is gluten per their website.  I used to have terrible skin, but as soon as I quit wheat it cleared up immediately and has stayed that way.

HelenaR

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

The other thing Kitty it could bring about a stall.

I was pretty good today. Just had sardines and salad for lunch and that filled me. I would say I had about 400 cals. Been for a long walk early this morning and did my exercises. No lose in energy though I feel a little ho hum.

My great down fall is evenings once I sit and watch TV after about 9. I always want a snack. And though it might be low carb I know that it is not needed and I am eating for entertainment. So far on this I am OK but time will tell if I can break this very bad habit.

HelenaR

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »

Just another update.
Last night I had a small amount of meat - no bigger than my palm but not even half an inch thick. Then I loaded up my plate with mixed lettuce and fresh herbs a bit of tomato and light dressing. I couldn't get through it in the end. And though I had it at 6ish I felt stuffed until 11pm. It was very strange.
This morning went well and didn't have lunch which was the same as yesterday until 1.30. But though I felt full I notice lose of energy and motivation by mid afternoon. Feeling a bit glum again. I don't feel like eating at all yet I know my body wants the energy. It is like the mind and stomach are at odds with each other. It is very odd. I do hope this energy level settles down. I cannot see any change in my weight so far.
Has any one experienced this problem? Any suggestions ? I just want to go to bed and sleep !

August

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

The nutritional value of the salad is nothing compared to the nutritional value of the meat.  I found that focusing on nutrient dense foods, especially animal products that contain saturated fat, gave me what I needed, while something like salad seems to do nothing.  With strong appetite suppression in place, we don't need lettuce- lettuce appears to be the way other people stuff their stomachs in the hopes that they won't feel hungry.  You don't feel hungry, but you know your body wants energy- this is because you've already gone deep into low calorie territory and you need the good stuff, not the filler.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18