Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Reasons for SLD not working?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons for SLD not working?  (Read 17473 times)

siren

Reasons for SLD not working?
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »

Dear Seth and friends,

I have been on and off the Shangrila diet for the last few years but never really been successful with losing weight. Just for the record I am 5"4, a 30 year old woman and weigh 135 pounds. This is my set point weight and has been the weight I gravitate to although I have oscillated between more or less over the last 10 years. I would however like to lose at least 10 pounds as I am quite flabby. I also have a thyroid issue for which I take medication and hypoglycemia. Anyway, I have decided to really buckle down and think about why Shangrila hasn't worked for me so far- why I never consistently do the diet when it is so easy and effortless!! >:(

Some observations: I would love to have your thoughts on these.

---I have found at my weight I need to increase the oil (I used ELVOO) from 2 tbsps to almost 4tbsps to feel AS. I can't use sugar water as I have low blood sugar. This should be ok right?

---Although I like the concept of intermittent fasting I can't seem to do it - for instance, I would like to have oil first thing in the morning but I have acidity issues so I need to eat something light (carbs). When I get to work my co-workers and I have coffee and a snack (its a fun communal activity around which we have a team meeting). Then, I can easily skip lunch (no hunger) but this is the only time our office people all sit together on a table and its an opportunity to bond so I'm loathe to miss this. When I get back home at 6.30pm I have a Pavlovian response and eat a snack and finally at night I eat dinner with the hubby as this is the only meal we have together. I suppose with SLD I could reduce portions of what is eaten but like some others on this forum who are unable to lose weight, I think I just need to eat less, less often!!!

----Now this is the biggie- Although like most women I am an emotional eater i have realized I tend to eat mindlessly when my body is feeling weak- i.e lack of sleep, injury, period, PMS, headache. My first response is food!! It is so frustrating! What can I do to avoid this? Regardless of SLD then, I just tend to chomp on sweets and junk food, its so frustrating.

---The oil tends to make me gassy but this goes away in time.

---Its difficult to carry oil around whilst traveling. But one can prepare for this I suppose. I am even going to try nose clipping

---Someone mentioned the importance of a support group and I think all of you are great! Truth is losing weight is a solitary activity and one does tend to feel isolated and lose motivation. I think perhaps being more present here will help.

--I have also been told keeping a food diary might help. Any thoughts? I am not a fan of weighing myself often (prefer the zipper test) but I think its important to be cognizant of what goes into your body

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much,
Siren

Juche

Re: Reasons for SLD not working?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Relora is an OTC supplement used for stress, and a lot of people report it helps them with emotional eating. It could be something to look into.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Relora-Veg-capsules-120-Count/dp/B0019LTGRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344465852&sr=8-1&keywords=relora

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »

-Now this is the biggie- Although like most women I am an emotional eater i have realized I tend to eat mindlessly when my body is feeling weak- i.e lack of sleep, injury, period, PMS, headache. My first response is food!! It is so frustrating! What can I do to avoid this? Regardless of SLD then, I just tend to chomp on sweets and junk food, its so frustrating.

What about trying to avoid "lack of sleep"? Could you reduce how often you suffer from it?

siren

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »

Thanks Juche, will certainly check out Relora....sounds interesting.

Hi Seth- Yes, this is not a big one...however, I should say I just got married a month ago so there are certainly lots of changes in the air! I suppose I do have to be kinder to myself. Are there any other "tips" you recommend as per your experience that will help keep the weight off?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:44:50 AM »

A suggestion: whenever you "emotional eat" clip your nose shut.

adventurer

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:07 AM »

If you eat junk food, even sometimes, it can break your "habit" of eating healthy and then this can make you feel bad about yourself.  How do you cook your food?  I don't suggest frying.  What are you eating?  What is your diet like now?  Stress can make you fat because it brings a certain hormone (?) to your stomach.  Medications can make you fat.  If you have a craving for sweets, you can eat a lot of fruits and that will be less calories than a lot of chocolate.

August

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »

Four tbsp is a lot.  You are probably experiencing some discomfort from that much fat at once.  It would be better to nose clip and eat a meal with protein and fat mixed- that way you'd have fewer icky symptoms.  You could also try dividing the dose- twice a day rather than all at once. 
Do NOT do intermittent fasting.  It is a terrible idea for you. Skip a meal if you aren't hungry, but no day long stuff.  You probably need to be watching your blood sugar.
Do try to eat whole foods consisting of a good portion of saturated fat BEFORE you raid the cookie jar.  Here is the deal: the junk foods set you up to fail tomorrow, or two hours from now, or whatever- more bad food, more failure in the future, and then you just fall of the wagon completely.  If you feel like junk, eat some bacon and eggs, meat- put some butter on it if it isn't fatty enough- just don't go overboard because you don't want to get sick from too much fat.  Your cravings will quiet down over a few days.

You could keep a journal.  It should tell you that meals high in animal fat allow you to forget about eating, and other (carbs) foods have you hungry again in two hours.

nicolemarie54

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

---I have found at my weight I need to increase the oil (I used ELVOO) from 2 tbsps to almost 4tbsps to feel AS. I can't use sugar water as I have low blood sugar. This should be ok right?

I find this confusing as well.  I am 5 ft 5, 162 lbs and 32 years old.  I would like to lose 20 lbs so I have been using 2 tbsp of safflower oil (says ok in the book and I already had it in the cupboard) an hour after breakfast  and coffee (9 ish) and then 2 tbsp sugar in 16 oz of water in the late afternoon.  I am not experiencing any AS and am on my third week.  Is 2 tbsp of oil plus 2 tbsp of sugar too much?  I found that chart in the book very confusing. 

adventurer

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

Great work!!!

siren

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »

Dear August

I just saw your post, sorry I have been offline for a long time as we relocated to San Francisco! Of course many changes and more stress. I fell off the SLD wagon again but now I am determined to be back and consistent.

Thanks for your comments, very useful and I do intend on keeping a diary.

Best,
Siren
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18