Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Any cure for hypersomnia?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any cure for hypersomnia?  (Read 5315 times)

daveguy

Any cure for hypersomnia?
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:11:32 AM »

My friend was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia, which basically means that she needs to sleep a LOT (around 11 hours/day) or else she'll feel exhausted.  Oh yeah, and it's "idiopathic", which means the doctors have no idea what causes it in her case.

She's in her 30s and willing to try out weird ideas in the spirit of self-experimentation.  She's tried Vitamin-D supplementation and cutting out gluten, for instance.  (Neither helped.)

Does anyone have any experience with hypersomnia or have any ideas for things for her to try?  She's been struggling with this for years and it borders on debilitating.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
Re: Any cure for hypersomnia?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:59:51 AM »

Firstly I tend more to insomnia, so I might be coming from the other direction.

I've had an interesting time with timing things like high protein breakfast - although protein shakes can cause insulin spikes I tend to have a few hundred calories of a protein shake for breakfast - within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning. For consistency this needs to be at the same time each day (tough at weekends or other non-work days). I used to use a meal replacement mix (reasonable quantity of carbs) but use a mixed (egg / milk / whey) type at the moment as I'm trying an experiment to lower carbs. I also take around 12k iU Vitamin D each day - I get tested each 6 months. The timing element is something I first came across in the Tim Ferris 4 Hour Body book, but Jack Kruse takes it even farther in his ideas.

The other thing I've tried is melatonin an hour before I want to sleep. I stay in Scotland which means we have a reasonable variance in the amount of daylight which really mucks up sleep patterns.

Personally I have a few lifestyle choices that muck up my sleep - I tend more to insomnia. I spend all day on computers meaning I get a lot of light, and I like computer games so my evenings are quite bad from the perspective of setting myself up for sleep.

N.

daveguy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

Numpty01, thanks for the ideas.

Marv:
Treatment for hypersomnia may include a switch in medication and it can greatly help in curing this problem.

Can you be more specific about what types of medication can cause this problem?  She's willing to try anything!

Thanks for both your replies.

Lewis617

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »

Ideopathic hypersomnia treatment symptoms are best when you take naps as possible, maintain a routine sleep schedule, avoiding medicine or alcohol that causes sleepiness along with asking your doctor what other treatment plans you can take.

niroshan

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

you should eat healthy foods and maintain a good sleeping pattern. at least 10 hours a day. and also avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages

KittyMcKnitty

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

She might be getting poor quality sleep, so she needs more quantity.  If I were in her position, I would start monitoring my sleep with a Zeo.

daveguy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

Yeah, I think she's undergone a "sleep study".  The doctors don't know what to tell her.

Someone suggested sleeping 10 hours.  She's already doing that (sometimes 11).  You could even say that that's the problem. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18