Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What You Wish Was in the Book

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What You Wish Was in the Book  (Read 4147 times)

Anima

What You Wish Was in the Book
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:14:31 AM »

I have been having great success with the SLD, and my mother - who was totally against trying it when she saw me drinking oil with my nose clipped - is now interested in giving it a go.  I was making a mental list of things that I think someone starting the diet needs to know that they would have to comb the forums to find, and I thought it might be nice for us to share them in one thread.  Following are mine:

1. Alcohol prevents AS.  If you drink a lot every day, this diet is not for you.

2. Start the diet at the beginning of your menstrual cycle, or you might think it isn't working.  I usually have less AS during the second half of my cycle, but I think the slight increase in caloric intake is mitigated by excess energy expenditure (higher body temperature).

3. If you ingest flavorless calories before bed or upon waking, be mindful of sleep changes.

These are just ones that applied to me, but I'd love to hear what you all consider important.

pbloom

Re: What You Wish Was in the Book
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »

Anima -

You bring up some important thoughts and I want to comment on point 2.

I have an increase in hunger at the time of ovulation and it doesn't taper off until a day before my menses begin and it continues for about six days after.  Then I normalize until ovulation begins again. I have been curious why this happens for me.  I lately have been thinking it has to do with the increased levels of progesterone. I was thinking body temperature might be related to the fluctuations in hormones, but not the direct cause. 

I am having an emotional battle today regarding taking the oil. It is so very odd to use oil in this manner.  It goes against what I think is right - part of my conflict has to do with a required course I am taking right now, nutrition.  I am frustrated with the amount of misleading/conflicting nutrition information that is in this book compared to what is floating around in the media and other popular nutrition books. 

I am also frustrated that I have no natural instinct towards foods.  I have to really negotiate with myself regarding what I think is the right food to eat. 

I struggle with using sugar/fatty foods to calm my nerves.  I do think using the oil may be having an effect on my ingestion of these foods, but it is too early to tell.  The problem inherent in this experiment for me then becomes if I use sugary/fatty foods to calm my emotions, what happens if I no longer have a desire to eat these foods.  If food is no longer part of my coping mechanism, what new mechanism will take its place?

Anima

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »

Anima -

You bring up some important thoughts and I want to comment on point 2.

I have an increase in hunger at the time of ovulation and it doesn't taper off until a day before my menses begin and it continues for about six days after.  Then I normalize until ovulation begins again. I have been curious why this happens for me.  I lately have been thinking it has to do with the increased levels of progesterone. I was thinking body temperature might be related to the fluctuations in hormones, but not the direct cause. 

From my experience and what I have read, your appetite pattern is completely normal.  However, the increase in body temperature corresponding to increased progesterone, decreased estrogen and an increase in appetite may not mitigate your excess calories if you dramatically increase your food intake.  I think that the SLD still works at this time, it's just not as noticeable.

... I am frustrated with the amount of misleading/conflicting nutrition information that is in this book compared to what is floating around in the media and other popular nutrition books. 

I read the book and I don't remember there being any nutritional information, as such.  Anyway, most diet gurus will now acknowledge that there are healthy fats (e.g. Southbeach Diet), and most consider olive oil and flax oil to be in that category, so I don't see a conflict.  The SLD is a way to diminish your appetite; what you eat is up to you.

The problem inherent in this experiment for me then becomes if I use sugary/fatty foods to calm my emotions, what happens if I no longer have a desire to eat these foods.  If food is no longer part of my coping mechanism, what new mechanism will take its place?

I used to eat (and drink excessively) frequently out of boredom, and now I knit, walk or read in the same situations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:39:00 PM by Anima »

pbloom

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »

My comment about nutrition was a general comment not specifically about the book - a bit off topic from your original post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18