Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Trial of the set point theory?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trial of the set point theory?  (Read 5283 times)

Augustus

• Administrator
Trial of the set point theory?
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »

Anybody know anything about this <http://andrewgelman.com/2012/04/a_randomized_tr/>:

Someone pointed me to this forthcoming article in the journal Nutrition by J. F. Lee et al.

It looks pretty cool. Iím glad that someone went to the effort of performing this careful study.

In case you canít read the article through the paywall, hereís the abstract:

Background: Under a widely-accepted theory of caloric balance, any individual has a set-point weight and will find it uncomfortable and typically unsustainable to keep his or her weight below that point. Set-points have evidently been increasing over the past few decades in the United States and other countries, leading to a public-health crisis of obesity. In an n=1 study, Roberts (2004, 2006) proposed an intervention to lower the set-point via daily consumption of unflavored sugar water or vegetable oil.

Objective: To evaluate weight-loss outcomes under the diet proposed by Roberts (2004, 2006).

Design: Randomized clinical trial with two active arms and one control arm. Daily diaries and self-measurements and monthly laboratory measurements.

Participants: 90 healthy volunteers, aged 24-64, recruited in the northeastern United States.

Results: Participants differed in outcome measurements after two weeks, one month, six months, and
"Now I'm not a saint but I'm not a sinner
Now everything's cool as long as I'm getting thinner"

abs999

Re: Trial of the set point theory?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:06:08 AM »

I'm studying the smaller plate size with the visual image of dividing the plate into 4 sections of healthier choices. Finally, the 20-minute eating rule for each meal will be a challenge for me considering my busy schedule, but it clearly seems important. Having recently experienced some cardiac problems, I am particularly interested not only because of the weight control benefits, but also in knowing that some of my cardiac risks will improve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18