Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Muscle Knots

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muscle Knots  (Read 10906 times)

Anima

Muscle Knots
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:32:32 PM »

I have a chronic problem with muscle knots.  The internet searches I have done have been fruitless.  They don't give any answers as to causes and the remedies they prescribe don't work.  I have tried getting massages ($1 per minute!); they feel good, but offer no real solution.  I've also been to a chiropractor.  It feels great when they pop your back and neck, but it doesn't seem to fix anything.  Mine always suggested - you guessed it - more treatment.

I decided that something about my physiology is causing the knots.  I am at the computer all day, but that wouldn't explain why I get knots on one side and not the other.  I knit every evening, but that doesn't strain my left side (the side I get the knots) more than my right side.  I have decided that the only other culprit could be what I do at night.

I sleep on my stomach with my arms around the pillow.  Last night I made a point to go to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees and a rolled-up towel under my neck, which is the ideal sleep position according to several sources.  The bad news is that I couldn't sleep even though I was sleepy.  I was up half the night, and I finally grabbed the pillow from under my knees and decided to split the difference and lay on my side and promptly fell asleep.  The good news is that I woke up with more neck flexibility and less pain than I've had in a while.

I am going to continue to try to adjust my sleep position.  I am going to start in the "ideal" position (on back with pillow under knees and rolled-up towel under neck) for as long as I can stand it, and adjust as necessary, but never let myself lie on my stomach.  I will update this thread with my outcomes.

My curiosity is piqued due to this exploration.  Why is position so important to sleep?  I went to bed tired, with no exposure to blue light for 3 hours, on an empty stomach after taking a couple of magnesium pills.  I hadn't been drinking, I had a relaxing bath and I read for a while with my beloved kitty by my side.  This is my ideal sleep scenario.  But perfect sleep conditions were not enough to overcome an unfamiliar position.  Weird.  Why is position so important?  When I adjusted just halfway to my preferred position, I fell asleep almost instantly.  Why should it matter?

Re: Muscle Knots
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

I thought those knots  (between the shoulder and neck, on top of that "cord" that runs from shoulder to neck?)  were usually caused by computer usage.  I've noticed them in myself and other people and usually occur on one side only, for people with desk jobs.

I also used to get extreme soreness on random mornings once in a while, in that same area.  I couldn't turn my head to one side because it hurt so much, but the other side was fine.  This seemed clearly to be from sleeping position though;  I noticed that it happened when I slept without a pillow or had moved off it for most of the night.

I think it should matter because sleeping without neck/head support puts strain on the neck, and for such a long protracted time  (hours).  I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T create some severe muscle damage and pain.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:12:43 AM »

I get those knots and a stiff neck if I wipe off my desk, and my moniter gets moved more to the right, instead of more to the middle of my desk.

Or, I notice them more if I need a new pillow.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »

Anima, I misread your post earlier.

I noticed the same issue though, that changing sleep position to the ideal distracted me from falling asleep.

Sleep is so mental, though, that I wasn't that surprised.  You know how often when one tries to fall asleep, it doesn't come, but when one is outside of bed and trying to stay awake, one feels sleepy.  Mind tricks.  So a little thing like being in a position you're used to, I would think certainly could have an effect.

Anima

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »

Update:

My attempts to sleep in the "ideal" position have proved fruitless.  I cannot sleep that way.  However, I have made attempts to sleep in positions other than what I prefer.  I have been trying to sleep on my side, and while takes me longer to go to sleep and doesn't feel very comfortable, I am gradually adjusting.  My muscle knots and neck flexibility have greatly improved.  Sometimes I give up and turn back on my stomach to sleep, but I try to turn my head the opposite way of what feels most comfortable.  I hope to eventually sleep on my back, but the progress I have made so far convinces me that my muscle knots are, in fact, caused by how I sleep.  I am pretty annoyed that I ever went to a Chiropractor.  He never mentioned sleep position, but he was happy to adjust my neck and tell me that I needed to come back twice a week for another adjustment.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »

Are you keeping a record of your muscle pains?  It'll help you find the culprit quicker.

What's worked well for me is (1) keeping it on hard copy and (2) keeping it extremely simple.  Perhaps just, first thing in the morning, rate your muscle knot pain on a scale of 1-10, and also record the position you slept in last night.

Anima

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »

That's a good idea 1041.

I have gotten enough relief that I'm confident that if i can keep it up that I can eventually be pain-free.  I agree that keeping a log will help find a position that I can live with more quickly.

kaile

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »

I think 1 hr practicing is much hard for initial stage...

kaile

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »

The medical term for muscle knots is myofascial trigger points, which is quite a mouthful for such a common problem. There is some debate among doctors about what causes muscle knots but it seems to be connected to an abnormal build up of protein after a release of lactic acid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18