Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Fat becoming more solid??

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fat becoming more solid??  (Read 5898 times)

Jess2011

Fat becoming more solid??
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

Well,  >:(

A really common (yet anecdotal) weight-loss thing I've heard about is how, as you're losing, the fat on your body goes from feeling fairly solid to feeling more squishy. This is supposed to be a sign the underlying fat is going away and the skin is just catching up.

So why in tarnation is the fat on my abdomen becoming firmer? Is this a water retention thing or a sign I'm adding fat back on? I still have good AS (except for yesterday afternoon when I caved and ate a box of mac 'n' cheese out of boredom, but even that isn't enough to add more than 0.25 pound if all of it were to become fat) and my jeans still feel a little easier to button up. So what's with the firmer fat?? I'm definitely not pregnant, and I haven't been doing stomach exercises so it's not muscle.

My weight is acting normal -- no major jumps except from actual physical weight of food I've just eaten. And as I said, my jeans are still easier to button, so I'm not getting larger. It's like I'm bloated, but I don't feel typically water-retention bloated -- but I do feel this solid girdle of fat encasing my midsection. It's like my stomach has turned into one of those balloon houses at kids' parties -- you can press in/down, but it's very springy, like it's inflated.

The only real change I've made this week is I'm drinking more sencha (green) tea. It's a brand I usually drink, no sugar or milk. Is the caffeine doing something? Is the firmness water retention? I'm not nearly as thirsty as I was before, so I doubt I'm in for a Karky-style whoosh of weight loss (it'd be nice, though).

numpty01

• Global Moderator
Re: Fat becoming more solid??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:53:37 AM »

I get the squishy fat thing with the fat just below my belly button, in fact it can cause me problems because my skin isn't great and the lack of density means more movement. I've also had times when I've been the same weight but clothes are fitting differently - almost as if the body is moving fat around.

There are a number of factors at work - unlike with the fat in other places where it is more or less bone and muscle for fat on your torso there is also sorts of stuff inside that can move. As you are female there are also more hormones at work than for us simple males, so the body can decide to retain water etc independent of the usuals like salt, carbs, colds and flu, exercise and others.

It might be that euphemistic thing "digestive transit" which the local tv adverts for fibre supplements love. What I would do if you have time is just watch it over a few days to see if it goes up and down, and whether this is connected to what you eat. Or even over 24 / 48 hours to see if it might be dietary fibre or water related - you might need to take in more. In our family we also have a laugh and wonder if it is like the old Far Side cartoon characters who said it was to do with the weather :)

N.

Jess2011

Re: Fat becoming more solid??
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »

Thanks, Numpty. It may be leveling off now, but I'm not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18