Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I am curious though what would happen if you ate just flavorless calories for a

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am curious though what would happen if you ate just flavorless calories for a  (Read 7563 times)

ADN

Since I believe in this a diet and the book and set point, than if Seth's Theory is true and flovor to a large degree controls how much set point rises than foods that have no taste don't raise set point at all and unfortunately even if you were administered all your essential nutrients you would eventully die just taking in flavorless calories and not even know it.  This is because with 0 body fat thus 0 flavor taken in your body would be starving itself without even knowing it.  This would be a horrible thing to have happen and of course should not be done but my question is could this be helpful for the severly obese-they could take the flavorless calories when hungry and all essential nutrients be applied. This could be used until the desired weight is reached and then the subject be taken off the flavorless calories.  After this happened the subject would have to lear to eat just enought to maintain their set point without hunger thus rise equals fall. What do people reading this think?

catwoman

Interesting thought.  People live for years on a "Peg" tube with tube feedings.  I dont' think there is a flavor to a tube that goes directly into your stomach.  But don't know for sure.  Same for one on IV feeding.............course then you can have liver problems...................

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog

Since I believe in this a diet and the book and set point, than if Seth's Theory is true and flovor to a large degree controls how much set point rises than foods that have no taste don't raise set point at all and unfortunately even if you were administered all your essential nutrients you would eventully die just taking in flavorless calories and not even know it.  This is because with 0 body fat thus 0 flavor taken in your body would be starving itself without even knowing it.  This would be a horrible thing to have happen and of course should not be done but my question is could this be helpful for the severly obese-they could take the flavorless calories when hungry and all essential nutrients be applied. This could be used until the desired weight is reached and then the subject be taken off the flavorless calories.  After this happened the subject would have to lear to eat just enought to maintain their set point without hunger thus rise equals fall. What do people reading this think?

No,the set point affects appetite, not metabolic activity.

If you ate only flavorless foods, you wouldn't be hungry, but you would eat because you know you would die if you didn't.  And at some point, even with the flavorless calories lowering your set point, you'd reach the absolute bottom, and you'd feel hungry even with flavorless calories.

ADN

Yes you would reach a bottom level and you would take in calories because there would still be some hunger but the weight you would reach would be very low probably unhealthy.  I also want to point out that while set point is not dependent metabolism I belive they are interlocking in other words one person may be able to weigh 150 pounds without hunger because they have a set point of 150 and this person may take in an average of 2200 calories a day to maintain this weight without even knowing it.  Now the next guy could weigh 150 and because he has a fastr metabolism maybe he exercises may need 3200 calories to maintain 150 pounds in other words it takes some peopel more calories to maintain there set point then other people who have the same set point because of metabolism the good news is once you have a set point of whatever weight your body knows how many calories its taking in and approximately how many to maintain WEIGHT.  Unfotunately the reason obesity keeps going up and we have weight problems is are set poin is slowly being pushed up EVER SO SLOWLY SINCE WE WERE KIDS BY MAYBE 0.1 POUNDS EVERY TWO WEEKS CAUSEING A SLIGHT VARIATION UPWARDS IN CALORIES CONSUMPTION THUS OBESE PEOPLE AND WHEN THE SET POINT IS RAISED IT TAKES AN EFFORT OF WHAT IS TAKEN IN FLOVORS TO LOWER IT AGAIN THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OF PEOPLE WHO DON't HAVE TIME TO COOK FOR THEIR KIDS THUS KIDS ARE EXPOSED TO DITTO FOODS.

I GUESS SET POINT IS JUST A FEEDBACK MECHANISM ON WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR ENVIRONMENT IN OTHER WORDS ARE BRAIN MUST HAVE A MEMORY OF FLAVORS RECENTLY INPUT AND HOW MUCH THIS IS DONE BY NEURONS FROM THE TASTE BUDS WHICH THEN OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME STORE INFORMATIO ON WHAT HAS BEEN EATEN RECENTLY AND FROM THERE ARE BODY DECIDES HOW FAT IT WILL BE.  THIS IS WHY WE MUST TAKE THE OIL AN HOUR AWAY FROM EATING ARE BRAIN REMEMBERS THE FLAVORS WE HAVE EATEN ESPECIALLY JUST RECENTLY.

INTERESTING STUFF THATS WHY I AM GETTING A MOJOR IN PSYCHOLOGY

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog

Yes you would reach a bottom level and you would take in calories because there would still be some hunger but the weight you would reach would be very low probably unhealthy.  I also want to point out that while set point is not dependent metabolism I belive they are interlocking in other words one person may be able to weigh 150 pounds without hunger because they have a set point of 150 and this person may take in an average of 2200 calories a day to maintain this weight without even knowing it.  Now the next guy could weigh 150 and because he has a fastr metabolism maybe he exercises may need 3200 calories to maintain 150 pounds in other words it takes some peopel more calories to maintain there set point then other people who have the same set point because of metabolism the good news is once you have a set point of whatever weight your body knows how many calories its taking in and approximately how many to maintain WEIGHT.  Unfotunately the reason obesity keeps going up and we have weight problems is are set poin is slowly being pushed up EVER SO SLOWLY SINCE WE WERE KIDS BY MAYBE 0.1 POUNDS EVERY TWO WEEKS CAUSEING A SLIGHT VARIATION UPWARDS IN CALORIES CONSUMPTION THUS OBESE PEOPLE AND WHEN THE SET POINT IS RAISED IT TAKES AN EFFORT OF WHAT IS TAKEN IN FLOVORS TO LOWER IT AGAIN THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE OF PEOPLE WHO DON't HAVE TIME TO COOK FOR THEIR KIDS THUS KIDS ARE EXPOSED TO DITTO FOODS.

I GUESS SET POINT IS JUST A FEEDBACK MECHANISM ON WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR ENVIRONMENT IN OTHER WORDS ARE BRAIN MUST HAVE A MEMORY OF FLAVORS RECENTLY INPUT AND HOW MUCH THIS IS DONE BY NEURONS FROM THE TASTE BUDS WHICH THEN OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME STORE INFORMATIO ON WHAT HAS BEEN EATEN RECENTLY AND FROM THERE ARE BODY DECIDES HOW FAT IT WILL BE.  THIS IS WHY WE MUST TAKE THE OIL AN HOUR AWAY FROM EATING ARE BRAIN REMEMBERS THE FLAVORS WE HAVE EATEN ESPECIALLY JUST RECENTLY.

INTERESTING STUFF THATS WHY I AM GETTING A MOJOR IN PSYCHOLOGY

Please take this as constructive criticism.

Trying to read your posts is difficult.  I think you have something interesting to say, but since I can't get more than a general sense of it after reading it twice, I give up.  There are too many posts in this forum to have to struggle over reading one.

Use more punctuation.  Don't use all caps even for a section.  Use italics, bold, or underline instead (not in additon to all caps), they are much easier to read that way.

ADN

Ok! I understand some things are hard to read but this is what I am trying to say. You said earlier that set point is not determined by metabolism this is true. My theory is they must be related mechanisms here is why.  Let say you have two people, lets call them subject one and subject two, they BOTH have a set point of 150 pounds.  Subject one takes in 2200 hundred calories a day to maintain his weight.  Subject two has 3200 calories a day to maintain his weight-maybe he exercises.  This does not mean the person who only eats 2200 calories is more hungry than the one who eats 3200 it just means one has a faster metabolism and will need more calories to maintain his set point without hunger.
             Aside from the point made above, once the body has a set point it knows approximately has many calories it takes to maintain that weight.  Unfortunately as people age their set point ever so slowly rises to unhealthy levels and then only with effort like the shangri la diet can be lowered. 

IT is also believed that set point is a feedback mechanism another words it decides how fat to eventually make us depending on all the flavor inputs. Are brain has a memory like a computer which is why you must take the oil an hour away from meals i.e. it remembers the flavors.  Once are flavor comuputer "I am going to call it"keeps getting THE SAME FLAVOR INFORMATION LIKE A SNICKERS are body says ok lets get a little fatter.  Its kind of like are body knows what we have eaten in the past few months or years and will make it difficult to diviate from the weight it wants.   

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog

Ok! I understand some things are hard to read but this is what I am trying to say. You said earlier that set point is not determined by metabolism this is true. My theory is they must be related mechanisms here is why.  Let say you have two people, lets call them subject one and subject two, they BOTH have a set point of 150 pounds.  Subject one takes in 2200 hundred calories a day to maintain his weight.  Subject two has 3200 calories a day to maintain his weight-maybe he exercises.  This does not mean the person who only eats 2200 calories is more hungry than the one who eats 3200 it just means one has a faster metabolism and will need more calories to maintain his set point without hunger.
             Aside from the point made above, once the body has a set point it knows approximately has many calories it takes to maintain that weight.  Unfortunately as people age their set point ever so slowly rises to unhealthy levels and then only with effort like the shangri la diet can be lowered. 

IT is also believed that set point is a feedback mechanism another words it decides how fat to eventually make us depending on all the flavor inputs. Are brain has a memory like a computer which is why you must take the oil an hour away from meals i.e. it remembers the flavors.  Once are flavor comuputer "I am going to call it"keeps getting THE SAME FLAVOR INFORMATION LIKE A SNICKERS are body says ok lets get a little fatter.  Its kind of like are body knows what we have eaten in the past few months or years and will make it difficult to diviate from the weight it wants.   

Thanks, much better.

I think what you're saying is consistent with Seth's book.

Gregg

Two thoughts (warning - not necessarily for the squeamish):

- having worked in the healthcare field, "enteral nutrition" (tube feeding) comes with flavors which the patient will experience if, as is common in tube feeding, he or she belches;

- prolonged intake of only flavorless calories might impact perception of flavor so that the flavorless calories would start acting like flavored calories, either that or the incidental flavors and smells encountered along with the flavorless calories could be perceived as flavors.

My opinion and worth every penny you paid for it

Gregg
weighbackmachine.blogspot.com

kt

• missing a lot of meals
    • How I've lost weight with SLD, then daytime fast:

The tube-feeding shows up in the science section of either Seth's book or his papers available online. 

As you suspected, there is anecdotal evidence of an issue with maintaining weight (the goal for an ill/elderly person on tube-feeding) using this method.  I'll try to find the link and post it here. 

Basically, Seth pointed this out as something that he considered when deriving the flavor-free calories/weight loss theory (see below), using research.

See p. 39

http://www.sethroberts.net/about/whatmakesfoodfattening.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18