Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Brenda Hoffman's Progress from 19Aug2011 until .....

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brenda Hoffman's Progress from 19Aug2011 until .....  (Read 6976 times)

Brenda324

• My SLD Page on This Forum w/ My Tracking Info
Brenda Hoffman's Progress from 19Aug2011 until .....
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »

I'm on day 6. I'm a newbie, wet behind the ears and as hopeful and motivated as any newbie would be. I'm 46 and have been overweight off and on my whole adult life. When not overweight, I have mostly at least been about 10-15 pounds more than I feel comfortable with (ease of movement, sitting etc). I have a good deal of experience with different ways of losing weight: starvation, eliminating junk food, lots of exercising, food combining, vegetarianism, veganism, raw veganism, Eat Right 4 Your Type, Weston Price, reduced eating (non-deprivation), etc.

I've had the most success in the past with cutting out junk food, eliminating refined sugar, eating good healthy animal products & healthy vegetable oils, and getting in tune with my hunger (avoiding mindless eating).

I've had the least success with systematic calorie restriction, over-exercising (too much, too fast, too intense), low-fat, low-carb, low-protein, vegetarianism, veganism, raw veganism, ER4YT (and any diet that tells you what you can and can't eat), diet products. I'm sure there are more that I'm not recalling at the moment.

Since what I've had the best success with is learning to recognize and pay attention to my actual level of hunger -- satisfying the hunger while not overeating -- combined with eating wholesome, good-quality foods (which I was pleased to find are the best tasting) and effective vitamin/mineral supplements, I am combining that eating lifestyle with SLD.

My only real remaining problem has been that certain things trigger overeating. Once I get into an overeating trend, it's hard to get out of it. It's a life-long habit that I've only been learning to overcome in recent years without going to the opposite extreme of food deprivation, which is equally troublesome.

SLD is perfect to address that for its ability to suppress the need to overeat. It also has given me the motivation to go ahead and do what I've been feeling a need to do for months now: to stop seasoning my food. I have always been one to strongly season my food with salt and herbs and spices. I have a full array of them in my cupboard, all arranged so I can easily get at any one of them when I want to, since I use several of them for every meal I prepare. Although I feel good about the wholesome, home-cooked food I eat, I sometimes have have a gut feeling that I should stop flavoring my food. I haven't done it because I didn't want my DH to suffer boring meals. I've eaten unseasoned before and have enjoyed it once I got used to not having all the added flavors. I love plain steamed veggies and brown rice and unsalted butter, etc. I was happy to see that SLD includes a method to assist further weight loss this way, and DH is entirely ok with adding his own seasonings, if and when he wants to. Cool.

I'm feeling very good about SLD, it seems like maybe it's the one missing puzzle piece I've been needing to deal with the issue of overeating. So far, I'm not getting urges to eat too much. I feel like I can get back on track with eating the right amount of food and no more. Last year I lost 30 pounds easily by just getting into the groove of doing that. I ate whatever appealed to me. A large percentage of my calories were from high fat foods. I ate eggs, butter, whole milk, skin off the roast chicken (in addition to the meat), beef fat, sausage, bacon, cheese, sandwiches, plenty of EVOO on my salads, homemade pizza with whole milk mozzarella, you name it. I never allowed myself to go hungry to the point of discomfort, yet I didn't allow myself to get all the way full either. I avoided all the foods that make me feel bad: junk food, refined sugar and flour, foods with chemicals, most restaurant foods (many of them taste so low-quality anyway), msg, more than a little caffeine, low-fat dairy, bottled juices, etc. On my SLD page (link beow) I describe why I got off-track in the post where I discuss my diet history.

If anyone's interested, I made a "My SLD Page" which I'm using to track my daily data, display my SLD method, my dieting history, my ongoing experiences & observations, etc. so that all my information can be viewed, tracked and updated in one location. It's at:

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=8136.0

I look forward to reading a lot more of everyone's experiences, which have helped me already based on what I've managed to read so far. I'm thankful that these forums exist, they are a great resource of information and support. Thanks to Seth who wrote his helpful book & provided these forums, and thanks to all the posters here who are willing to share their experiences to help us newbies.

Brenda

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: Brenda Hoffman's Progress from 19Aug2011 until .....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »

Welcome and good luck  :)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Brenda324

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »

Thank you Karky

Brenda324

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »

I guess AS is kicking in more yesterday and today. I'm ready to eat at mealtime with an empty stomach, and eat what seems to be a reasonable, modest amount of food, but get too full feeling shortly afterward. I'm going to decrease my meal sizes little by little and see what happens.

Because I get up so early and perpetually trying to catch up on sleep, I laid down for a nap and was surprised I was able to sleep soundly for 2 hours. I usually have a hard time falling asleep mid-day. Maybe it's SLD. I woke up feeling light, so out of curiosity I got on the scale and saw that I was 176.5 (I was 178 first thing this morning). I proceeded to eat what seemed like a small lunch and I'm still full. I don't know if I can eat anything for dinner.

Since I'm taking great supplements and am eating only nutritious food, I'm not really concerned about reducing food intake to very little. Based on research I've done, and my own experimentation, I know that the body needs very little food to begin with. We sure could use a reduced grocery bill. But if the AS gets to be too radical, I will gradually cut down on some oil. I did get hungry mid-morning with a growling stomach that went away after the mid-morning oil, then took a nap and wasn't actually hungry when I ate lunch. My dad called & while talking I made a little bowl of food to hurry and eat before my non-food window kicked in. I probably didn't need to eat lunch at all.

Brenda324

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »

I'm thinking that maybe next week at my 2-week mark I will begin a weekly take-out meal of whatever's appealing in order to prevent a desire to binge on restaurant food down the road. A cousin of mine who's been eating low-carb for awhile and looks great mentioned that she has a "cheat meal" once every week where she eats whatever kind of food she wants. This keeps her entirely satisfied. She keeps the weight off and is binge-free.

I did this before on the "Body-For-Life" program and it worked. Even though the "day off" was "eat whatever you want & as much as you want" we found it still allowed us to lose weight on the program. Then again, we were working out intensively too. But it did work to prevent bingeing. I don't think I will need to eat a large volume of food for my once-weekly restaurant meal, but just to avoid the idea that there's something that is forbidden. Forbidden foods eventually become binge foods.

Brenda324

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »

I decided not to decrease my meal sizes, because all in all, I feel good and light when going to bed and very light when getting up. Although not starved or uncomfortable in any way. I think if I cut my food intake right now, that I would begin to feel too empty, which may cause a desire to binge and/or my set point to go up. The amount and types of food I'm eating seem to work well for me, especially since I'm keeping enough fat & animal foods in my diet.

I occasionally have a moment's thought to eat when I'm not hungry, but that is mental, a long time habit. When that happens I evaluate whether I'm actually hungry or not, and since I'm not, I don't eat and the thought quickly passes away. I tend to get the thought while I'm at the computer since I have a habit of mindlessly snacking while researching or typing.

I find myself feeling dehydrated often, and answer the call by taking a big drink of water. If the dehydration keeps up, I'm wondering if adding a little salt to some of my food might be necessary. I already take a good liquid mineral supplement and drink light mineral water.

My DH wants to begin our weekly restaurant meal this week instead of next. That's fine with me. Since he's doing SLD also (He only needs to lose 11 pounds, taking 2T ELOO), we will get one meal to share. Neither of us could eat a full meal, and we don't want leftovers that we must eat because it's too good to throw away. We very much enjoy our regular, daily, whole foods diet at home, especially since it contains plenty of good fat, meat, dairy and eggs to keep us from feeling deprived. Our one restaurant meal per week is an "anything goes" meal.

I was down .5 pound this morning.  All my tracking data is on My SLD Page at:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=8136.0

Brenda324

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:49:30 AM »

Yesterday around mid-afternoon I felt like I needed more food than on previous days. While in an attempt to lose weight, it's easy to want to deprive myself of extra foods, with that old diet mentality that says any extra food will mess everything up and the whole effort will be ruined. Wow. I didn't these kinds of thoughts were going to pop up for for me. Then a bit of rationality kicked in and offered the idea that perhaps with the large weight loss (7 lbs in just 8 days) that my weight may have dipped below a reasonable set point for now. I had decided from the beginning that I wasn't going to deny my hunger, so I ate a snack. A piece of bread with some mayo/cheese/tomato and a little salt. I still felt an appetite but decided to wait the short time until DH would get home with the take-out Italian from our favorite Italian place. I was feeling such a big appetite though that I texted him to say I felt like I needed my own meal rather than to share his. I asked him to get me their eggplant parmesan, which I hadn't tried yet. I decided to just eat until I had all I wanted, both mentally and physically. I enjoyed the meal, it was delicious. I found myself not desiring to eat much of the pasta that came with it, but ate all the eggplant, cheese, sauce and garlic rolls until I was quite full. I was very sleepy, both from being behind on sleep and now from being full. We went to bed soon after the meal, which was about 9pm.

This morning I feel bloated with inflammation. I weighed 180.5 and I'm not surprised. I feel like I have poor circulation in my legs and I feel soreness in my feet as a result. When we have our one restaurant meal each week, I don't think I can do Italian. It tastes great but I don't like getting these after-affects. I don't feel good. I didn't feel this way when we used to get Mexican food each week. Even though I would eat the occasional white flour tortilla. As long as it's good quality Mexican food, not Taco Bell or Taco Bueno. I also don't feel this way when I make my own home-cooked Italian meals with whole wheat pasta. No matter how delicious our Italian restaurant is, I think I've lost my desire for it. Both my parents have issues with leg circulation. In recent years I have been noticing my own too. I don't want my problem to get as serious as theirs. They are in their late 60s and they both have trouble walking more than a little. I don't want to eat or do anything that is going to cause me to go that route. Right now I have no desire to eat anything but simple whole foods at home. Next Friday, I want Mexican food. [more later]

I just want to point out that these issues I'm mentioning are not related to SLD. It's a problem that existed before with me. There are certain foods that simply don't agree with me, especially when I eat to fullness.

SLD actually made me not want to eat the entire meal, which without it I probably would have done. Perhaps it also has something to do with this morning's desire not to repeat that same experience again and looking forward to another 6 days of eating in a way that doesn't give me problems with inflammation and bad circulation.

Brenda324

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »

Yesterday I wasn't hungry all day until about 6pm. Since nothing pressing needed taking care of I took a couple naps when I felt sleepy in an attempt to catch up on sleep. Had dinner about 7p: steamed veggies, steak tips, sour cream, and a little salt. Unseasoned otherwise. It was a simple, easy to make, delicious meal! I can't believe how fantastic these unseasoned meals are. I ate plenty to satisfy my appetite, but still felt like my digestion was unencumbered, so I felt nice and light when I went to bed about 9p. I even made us a good-tasting dessert: Made with frozen bananas, peanut butter, lots of cocoa powder, cinnamon, coconut oil, and just enough water to allow the bananas to blend into an ice cream consistency. I use a Vita-Mix, which makes it nice and smooth. The bananas give plenty of sweetness, making it a good chocolate frozen treat.

This morning I finally feel like I'm getting caught up on sleep. Feeling a bit groggy but good. First thing this morning my stomach felt light. My weight is down 2.5 pounds since yesterday morning. I feel good about my eating, SLD, and the oil. This week I will salt my food a little bit to see whether I still experience dehydration headaches in the middle of the night.

My big Italian meal Friday night did not throw me off track at all. During past weight loss attempts, that would have been all she wrote. I'm just going to keep in mind that my body has an equilibrium to maintain, and that my appetite is not always going to be the same. Sometimes my appetite will be very large, and the best thing I can do is comply when it happens.

Brenda324

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »

Today's weight: 179

Yesterday I didn't feel I needed to eat until around 11a, at which time I had eggs and 1/2 toast. Then I wasn't hungry again until about 6p. I ate the leftover steamed veggies topped with butter, sour cream and cheese. I used a light amount of salt on my food today. I'm feeling fine except I'm still taking naps to catch up on long overdue sleep. My middle back was a bit out of alignment so I didn't do much else.

This morning 4:00a came to soon but I feel good. The back problem seems resolved. I'm up a pound. I'm tempted to fret over it. My mind begins churning to see what I can do about it. Then I have to remind myself that I don't want to become obsessed with each day's weigh-in. It may be the fact that I've added a little salt back to my cooked food. As a result I think I'm retaining a little more water, especially since I'm not getting the dehydration headaches and am not so thirsty throughout the day.

Brenda324

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »

Oftentimes my mind says "hey, let's eat something" but my body answers, "nah."

Even when it says "ok", it doesn't take much to say "ok, that's plenty"

Brenda324

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »

This morning's weight: 179

Yesterday I felt like a little snack around 4:30p, and a little sweet. Since there was no fruit I had a little peanut butter with honey. I felt like I didn't actually need dinner but since I prepare it for my husband, I go ahead and sit down and eat with him. At least it was just a small salad with a little meat & beans. I think I should just not eat though when I don't have an appetite. A life-long habit of mine is that when there's food in front of me, I eat. If DH didn't work such long hours, he could make his own dinner on those days when I'm feeling no appetite for dinner. I still felt pretty light at bedtime (just after dinner) and slept very well.

Today I woke up feeling good. Even though I know it's unrealistic to have weight loss each day, I still want it. I had none this morning. I very much looking forward to dropping the next 10 pounds since it was put on so rapidly in the past couple months. My clothes don't fit well and I don't want to buy more. I want to lose enough so my current ones fit comfortably. After that, I'm totally cool with a slow loss.

Brenda324

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

I'm going to just post updates on my SLD page from now on

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18