Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
why AS sucks when you're PMSing

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why AS sucks when you're PMSing  (Read 4472 times)

RiRi

why AS sucks when you're PMSing
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »

so, i am in my PMS week, and i am somehow surprised each month that the AS is *significantly* reduced this time of month.  but, then i remembered this paper i read awhile back, and suddenly it all makes sense! 

the paper is "A Theory of Limited Metabolic Energy and Premenstrual Syndrome Symptoms: Increased Metabolic Demands During the Luteal Phase Divert Metabolic Resources From and Impair Self-Control" from the Review of General Psychology

A quote:
"Metabolic Demands Increase During the Luteal Phase of the Menstrual Cycle
     Under well-controlled, experimental conditions, and among women who report regular menstrual cycles, basal metabolic rate has been shown to be lowest during the early follicular phase and highest in the late luteal phase. In particular, studies involving direct and indirect calorimetry demonstrate that metabolic demands increase by roughly 716% during the luteal phase, relative to other phases of the menstrual cycle. It should be noted, however, that these menstrual cycle-related changes in metabolic rate are attenuated or absent under certain conditions, including heat and exercise stressors.
     Available evidence suggests that menstrual cycle-related increases in metabolic demand are caused, at least in part, by increases in the production of progesterone and estradiol, both of which are elevated during the luteal phase."

To translate a bit, your body actually burns more calories during the "late luteal phase," which is the time right before your period (i.e., PMS time).  It uses these calories making extra hormones, among other things.

Another fascinating quote:
"Given that self-control is metabolically expensive, additional metabolic demands during the luteal phase could plausibly impair self-control by diverting metabolic energy away from self-control processes."

so there is this theory in psychology these days that the amount of self-control you can exert depends on how much glucose is available in your blood.  if your body is using up glucose faster during PMS, the theory is that you will have less self-control during this time.  which also is a problem for trying to lose weight!

hopefulskeptic

Re: why AS sucks when you're PMSing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »

Dealing with my period and PMS while weighing daily is always such a head trip. I *know* the weight is mostly bloat and will go away if I'm able to eat normally. But seeing 4 lbs appear out of nowhere makes me feel like a failure, which then contributes to emotional eating, which alway seems easier to fall prey to during this hormonal time. Now I know why! Fascinating.
I'm 5'7. This is my second round with SLD, and I'm in my fourth week.

toadkid

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

Dealing with my period and PMS while weighing daily is always such a head trip. I *know* the weight is mostly bloat and will go away if I'm able to eat normally. But seeing 4 lbs appear out of nowhere makes me feel like a failure
I'm feeling just this right now. 4 lbs and everything.

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

Brenda324

• My SLD Page on This Forum w/ My Tracking Info
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

I think that the severity of PMS symptoms depends a great deal on refined sugar intake. I used to experience rollercoaster emotions, pain, and a general lack of well-being during that time. Now I don't experience anything. I don't even know my cycle is about to begin unless I track it on the calendar. I also experience painless periods, which used to be unheard of for me. I'd have at least one day of agony if I didn't take anything for it. I do experience some moderate bloating a temporary weight gain. Like right now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18