sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you experience AS [appetite suppression], it's almost like a drug. You're not craving foods. Food is in the background - your other life is in the forefront. -- Deedee

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iodine supplements for better metabolism?  (Read 5769 times)

Ainsprid

Iodine supplements for better metabolism?
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:11 am »

I was studying for a test I have Wednesday (Anatomy etc) and I came across the hormone thyroxine. You need iodine to make thyroxine. When you have hypothyroidism, you don't make enough thyroxine, when you have hyperthyroidism, you make too much. Apparently, and according to some SLD'ers, hypothyroidism makes it really difficult to lose weight. Of course, hyperthyroidism is no 'walk in the park', I've read it makes you nervous, it makes you lose weight even though you have a really good appetite, suddenly getting really hot, etc. Anyway, this information made me wonder.. Would it help to add iodine supplements in order to make it easier to lose weight? Of course you need to be careful with the amount. An excerpt about iodine and thyroxine below (Wikipedia):

Iodine's main role in animal biology is as a constituent of the thyroid hormones thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). These are made from addition condensation products of the amino acid tyrosine, and are stored prior to release in an iodine-containing protein called thyroglobulin. T4 and T3 contain four and three atoms of iodine per molecule, respectively. The thyroid gland actively absorbs iodide from the blood to make and release these hormones into the blood, actions that are regulated by a second hormone TSH from the pituitary. Thyroid hormones are phylogenetically very old molecules that are synthesized by most multicellular organisms, and that even have some effect on unicellular organisms.

Thyroid hormones play a basic role in biology, acting on gene transcription to regulate the basal metabolic rate.[citation needed] The total deficiency of thyroid hormones can reduce basal metabolic rate up to 50%, while in excessive production of thyroid hormones the basal metabolic rate can be increased by 100%.[citation needed] T4 acts largely as a precursor to T3, which is (with minor exceptions) the biologically active hormone.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
Re: Iodine supplements for better metabolism?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:10 am »

An interesting method that one alternative health practitioner mentioned to me for Iodine deficiency was to put some Iodine Tincture on cotton wool and dab a spot on your arm. If it disappears (absorbed into the skin) then you need Iodine. I'm afraid I haven't answered your question though.

If you don't have a deficiency then you get a strange yellowy stain :P

N.

Ainsprid

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:08:26 am »

Maybe adding iodine won't work if you don't have a deficiency, but I have the feeling that iodine deficiency could be pretty common (I know that here in the Netherlands there's not a lot of iodine in the earth). If it's true that supplements won't be of any use if you don't have a deficiency, what you just posted is a great way to test if it will work or not! (it's just, how do you get iodine tincture and cotton wool?)

Yup you're right, you didn't answer my question ;) maybe someone has experience with iodine supplements.

Priscilla

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:38 am »

Yes! I take a kelp tablet after meals a couple of times a day. Seems to help me a bit with weight loss. Kelp's a natural source of iodine and very nutritious anyway. And it's cheap.

Ainsprid

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:12:47 am »

Thank you Priscilla, I was looking for a reply like this! Let's see if I can find kelp supplements as well :D
But I can't help but wonder, do you know if you needed iodine (did you have a deficiency before you
started the kelp supplements) or did you add it even though you don't really need it?

Priscilla

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:27:15 am »

A friend told me she'd lost weight by taking kelp plus Omega 3s. I don't know if I had an iodine problem but kelp is very nutritious anyway, so it makes a good supplement and I thought I'd try it. I'm not taking any Omega 3 at the moment, just CO first thing and a kelp tablet after lunch and dinner. Seems to be working, I've lost a couple of pounds this week.   :)
I don't think the metabolic effect is spectacular but kelp also contains iron, sodium, phosphorus and calcium, as well as magnesium and potassium. Kelp is a source of vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D and E, plus amino acids. Because the plantís nutrients come in a natural form, they are easily assimilated by the body.
You can buy powder and it's good to add a teaspoonful to soups etc but (I think) it tastes yukky on its own, so tablets are easiest.

toadkid

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:43:01 pm »

I've recently discovered that I have a problem with hypothyroidism, so after reading this thread, I was inspired to get some kelp tablets. I hope it helps. :)

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:29:54 pm »

Might be best to ask your doctor if you should be taking supplemental iodine, as apparently it can worsen hypothyroidism.

I got these with a google search  too much iodine

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/patient_brochures/iodine_deficiency.html
Are there problems with taking too much iodine?
Taking too much iodine can also cause problems. This is especially true in individuals that already have thyroid problems, such as nodules, hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease. Administration of large amounts of iodine through medications (ie Amiodarone), radiology procedures (iodinated intravenous dye) and dietary excess (Dulce, kelp) can cause or worsen hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.

In addition, individuals who move from an iodine-deficient region (for example, parts of Europe) to a region with adequate iodine intake (for example, the United States) may also develop thyroid problems since their thyroids have become very good at taking up and using small amounts of iodine. In particular, these patients may develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism

http://thyroid.about.com/od/newscontroversies/a/toomuchiodine.htm
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Ainsprid

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:17 am »

Thank you karky, I wanted to post about the same thing! Mainly because I read it can be bad if you take too much iodine especially if you already have thyroid problems.. I think it wouldn't hurt if I had some more iodine, but toadkid, you should probably ask your doctor first (as karky suggests).

Karky, you are familiar with hypothyroidism right? Does medication for hypothyroidism include iodine? (sorry, I'm curious)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:53:58 am »

My prescription is for synthroid
which is synthetic thyroid hormone.
They also make one called armour which is derived from pigs I believe.
I don't know if they contain iodine.

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 07:28:31 am »

If I read the diagrams at the top right of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid_hormone and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levothyroxine correctly then they contain Iodine - you can see the atoms.

N.

toadkid

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 09:38:40 am »

Might be best to ask your doctor if you should be taking supplemental iodine, as apparently it can worsen hypothyroidism.
Thanks, karky! I'll stop now. :)

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

azuka

• Eaton Rapids Junk Barn
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 06:37:45 am »

I live in Michigan in the US, and this area is known to be very deficient in iodine.  Salt is mostly iodized to help with that, but my wife doesn't like to use very much salt and has autoimmune disorders including I suspect autoimmune hypothyrodism.  She also has nodules.  i have been wanting her to take iodine supplements, but she hasn't really gotten off the ground with that.

Any advice from people who have had a similar problem?  Does supplementation help?

Brenda324

• My SLD Page on This Forum w/ My Tracking Info
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:55:23 am »

My mom has thyroid issues and has been taking an iodine supplement. I remember that one day a couple months back she said it was helping her feel better. I don't remember any specifics though. I'll try to remember to ask her about it.

I know that Weston A Price Foundation has articles about iodine. A list of them is at:

http://www.westonaprice.org/search/search?q=iodine

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18