Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gazelle's Week Two

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gazelle's Week Two  (Read 9710 times)

Gazelle

Gazelle's Week Two
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »

I'm starting this topic because I'd like a place to record my response to SLD on a daily basis.

Today is Day 3 nose-clipping EVCO and all I can say is Holy Appetite Suppression!  :o

Maybe it's partly due to the onset of ketosis, but I am experiencing that mythical disinterest in food I've been waiting for. Yesterday (Day 2) I was pretty hungry later in the day and found myself eating compulsively, though low carb (yesterday was only my second day low-carb). I've been wondering how long it would take for the AS to kick in, if ever. This morning I woke up exhausted which is unusual for me. I got up at 6am, noseclipped 2 TBSP of oil, and went back to bed. 2 hours later I got a burst of energy and good feeling and ran off to the gym. It's now 1 in the afternoon and I am trying to get myself to eat something but I just can't. I keep opening the refrigerator and trying to interest myself in something but it's no good. I'm even looking at carbs and telling myself I can have them if I want. No dice.

I was able just now to take my cod liver oil/butter oil, eat 3 brazil nuts and a handful of grape tomatoes. That's it.

Could this be Shangri-La?!?!

I was wondering a bit about exercise, specifically: is it safe to push yourself to exercise when your setpoint is still high? I remember how effortless exercise was when my set-point dropped and my body was burning itself down. I was extremely motivated to move. I couldn't sit still and my body craved movement the way I guess it craves food and sleep when my setpoint is high. My question is about whether forced exercise is detrimental. Does it interfere with our ability to drop our setpoint?

Hopefully the question will be moot because I'll begin experiencing that motivation again soon.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:31:28 PM by Gazelle »

Gazelle

Re: Gazelle's Week One
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »

Day 4
Not as much AS today. Well, plenty in the AM. Noseclipped EVCO very early in the AM, went back to sleep for a few hours, then didn't eat until about 1pm. Same pattern as Day 3. Then got hungry and starting nibbling in the late afternoon, craving sweet. This led to anxiety and I could not eat more than a few bites of salad for dinner. Instead I'm overeating a very sweet rawfood trail mix now. Hello carbs. I think eating so little yesterday made me uneasy.

Onward.

Gazelle

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »

Day 5
Lots of AS, but part of that might have been emotional stress. Followed same routine as before with oil in the AM and felt very anxious/jumpy all day. Ate breakfast, then had more coffee later in the day (trying to cut that down to zero). Made myself eat the leftover salad from yesterday for dinner. Pretty much no hunger but I felt like I needed something in my stomach after a long exhausting day.

Gazelle

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

Day 6
Moderate AS, still some carb cravings. Feel really full and did eat plenty but definitely less than usual. My brain keeps asking "don't you want some more of that coconut milk ice cream that's in the freezer for dessert?" and my body is saying "absolutely no way, are you nuts?"

Weird.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »

My brain keeps asking "don't you want some more of that coconut milk ice cream that's in the freezer for dessert?" and my body is saying "absolutely no way, are you nuts?

That's a nice way to put it.

Gazelle

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »

Day 7

Decent AS during the day. Little interest in food and had to sort of make myself have something for lunch. As it got later, I got the munchies a bit and felt like I overate, especially sweet stuff/carbs. In reality, I don't think it was that much food, especially considering the amount that the munchies used to lead me to eat.

I'm still experiencing the mind/body disconnect with compulsive eating which I think is SO interesting. It used to be if I got the urge to eat, I would have to eat. Now I have the thought, but my body says no.

Wonder if there's a way to keep the AS going longer each day. I don't really want to spread to oil shots out for convenience's sake if I can avoid it.

toadkid

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »

Wonder if there's a way to keep the AS going longer each day. I don't really want to spread to oil shots out for convenience's sake if I can avoid it.
Black coffee between meals helps me, I don't know why.

A few other things make me feel full sooner and longer:

Consuming a fiber beverage (like Metamucil) 15 minutes before eating a meal.

Consuming a shot of vinegar (I like cider vinegar, but any will do) in a glass of water 2 minutes before eating a meal. (This can be sweetened and otherwise flavored, if you desire.) I have insulin resistance issues, so this helps prevent spikes and dips in blood sugar.

Eating more vegetables (and other genuinely nutritious foods) as opposed to junk. No kidding, since starting SLD I feel full sooner and longer when I'm eating salad rather than pizza. This feeling of satisfaction with more nutritious foods is changing what I want to eat.

Experiment a little, and see what works for you!

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

No kidding, since starting SLD I feel full sooner and longer when I'm eating salad rather than pizza.

yeah, others have said SLD helped them quit smoking and drink less coffee. The WD-40 of diets.

Gazelle

Re: Gazelle's Week Two
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »

Day 8

Today I overate like crazy. Starting with breakfast after the gym. One thing to note is I had about a glass and a half of alcohol (wine) last night, and another again today before dinner. Today all day I felt like I couldn't stop eating, felt like the old me, going for carbs and then just anything. I made a big dinner and ate a lot of it but got so incredibly full that I had to stop before my brain wanted to. Again, it was that unfamiliar body message to "Stop!" which I'm not used to feeling. I am so uncomfortably full right now on what seems like significantly less food than I could have binged away on in one day previously. I don't think I'm imagining that...

One thing is that I never eat junk. I eat extremely high quality, highly nutritious paleo food, just way too much of it at times. The cider vinegar is an interesting idea. I usually have it first thing in the morning in water. I also can't drink coffee so I only have a tiny bit in the morning or try to avoid it altogether.

Onward.

Gazelle

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »

Day 9

No AS. It was a day of bingeing. I took my oil 2 hrs after breakfast and 2 hrs before lunch today, instead of the usual early morning dose. I was ravenous by lunchtime, then kept eating. Seems mostly like a carb issue - wanting lots of fruit, etc. I wonder if trying to stay low-carb is sabotaging things somehow. Again, looking over the entire day it doesn't feel like as much food as I used to be able to put away. I feel uncomfortably full on less than usual, but I still overate.

Gazelle

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 03:23:45 PM »

Day 10

Good AS in the AM after pre-breakfast oil and then the bingeing started again. Emotional? I'm still noticing that I am feeling much more uncomfortably full than usual. Maybe it will take my brain weeks to fully catch on, or maybe it will never work. Onward with the experiment.

Gazelle

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »

Day 11

Good AS today simply because I avoided carbs. What a difference! The bad news is I stepped on the scale this morning and found I had gained 2lbs in one week! Getting closer to my highest weight ever again, which I can't really afford because I'm all out of fat clothes  :'(

Gazelle

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:57:07 AM »

Day 12

Yesterday (D 12) I had good AS again staying low-carb. I've also been feeling queasy for reasons I believe are unrelated to SLD, so maybe that also had an effect. Today, (D 13) those 2lbs I gained are gone again. Phew. Here's hoping it's the start of a downward trend.

Gazelle

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

Day 13

Not as good AS today. Felt very queasy all morning and then had to urge to snack the rest of the day. Very annoying, but as usual, in the end it didn't add up to a tremendous amount and the sweetest thing I had was a sweet potato.

Gazelle

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »

Day 14

It's been two weeks since the start of my SLD experiment and my weight is up. My general experience was that it caused tremendous initial appetite suppression after the first few days, and that this persisted as long as I ate enough and avoided sugar. When I didn't eat enough or ate too much sugar, I got the old urge to snack/binge. My method was 2 tbsp of nose-clipped coconut oil in the early AM, at least 2 hours before any flavored calories.

I'm not sure yet if I'll continue with this method, try something different, or pause the experiment for now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18