Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
My Experimental Low PUFA Diet Now Fortified With Shangri-La

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Experimental Low PUFA Diet Now Fortified With Shangri-La  (Read 14597 times)

earthpet

• PUFAs and Fructose

On April 19, 2011 I started a low polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) diet.  It is NOT a low carb diet, however my daily journal is on Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb discussion forum.

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=5972

I just recently added a Shangri-La Diet component and will be tweaking my diet with that.

My justifications for reducing PUFA include:

1.  Researchers in Oregon wanted to study obesity in monkeys.  How did they make monkeys obese?  They added a peanut butter snack and a high fructose corn syrup sweetened punch (PUFAs and fructose) to their regular food.

2.  Emergency malnutrition is treated in Africa with Plumpy Nut.  What's in Plumpy Nut?  Peanut paste, vegetable oil, powdered milk, powdered sugar, vitamins, and minerals (PUFAs and fructose).

3.  Stephan Guyenet's Whole Health Source blog has a very telling chart showing the shocking increase in soy oil, shortening, and chicken consumption over the last 35 years as fat consumption DECREASED.  Notably absent was a corresponding increase in consumption of sugars (PUFAs without increased fructose).  

4.  By the way, here is a quote by a famous author you may have heard of, "The obesity epidemic is unlikely to be due to larger portions.  From 1976 to 1996, calorie intake at breakfast, lunch, and dinner increased little, if at all; rather, there was a big increase in snacking."  (The Shangri-La Diet by Seth Roberts; page 126)  Potato and other snack chips are extreme sources of PUFA.

These lead me to believe (among other studies and data) that the PUFAs are the danger, not the fructose.  The fattening effect, however, seems to work best when they are combined.  There are also economic reasons to include high PUFA oils into snack food ingredients.  Soy oil is relatively cheaper compared to olive or coconut oils.  There is also the idea that polyunsaturated fats are "good" fats and are acceptable by consumers.  And when a product produces obesity it would seem to be creating an increased demand for itself. 

I discovered Seth Roberts while listening to a podcast with Stephan Guyenet.  Seth's Shangri-La Diet sounded absurd...at first.  But the more I thought about how flavor affects food choice, the more sense it made in the overall picture.  I then realized that it isn't just flavors but also textures, colors, temperature, consistency, and the environment in which the foods are eaten all contribute to food choices.  

PUFAs are almost impossible to not get enough of in our diet.  Very little is actually needed.  So it would not be prudent to try to eliminate them completely.  It seems to me, quite likely, that almost all foods are okay if limited to some level.  But this begs the question "What is wrong with the western diet?"  I'm convinced Seth is on to something.

I may be wrong about PUFA.  So for the last 6 weeks I have been eating a reduced PUFA diet of a variety of foods including low PUFA snack foods, HFCS sweetened soda pop, fast food burgers, etc.  I document it all on my journal with my daily weight.  I usually do not document quantities because I am not calorie restricting.  My weight fluctuated upward and came back down to my starting weight on the day I added ELOO.

There are some additional things I would like to test for.  Is unflavored gelatin effective by itself or combined with unflavored sugar and/or oil?  Do certain flavors promote appetite suppression (i.e. curry powder)?  Is the effect consistent when oil is taken in a gel cap?  I also want to test the effectiveness of certain bland foods.

I do not subscribe to the idea of "ditto foods".  It seems pretty obvious that there are cultures that do not over eat yet they subsist on staples that change very little day to day.  Clearly some flavors do not promote over eating.

I do not subscribe to taking walnut oil or flax oil.  Aside from their PUFA content, they do not seem like rational analogs of any historic dietary fats I'm aware of.  I am also unaware of centenarians who consume high PUFA diets.

I do subscribe to the idea that I can be incorrect.  I have seen evidence of it on many occasions.

earthpet

• PUFAs and Fructose
Re: My Experimental Low PUFA Diet Now Fortified With Shangri-La
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »

The Shangri-La Diet experiment has been cancelled.  The idea of losing weight is enticing but after further reflection I feel the practice of taking a dosage of oil or fructose water is palliative.  I will be continuing my low PUFA diet experiment, however.

I apologize.  I was caught up in the novelty of the Shangri-La effect but I feel it is not the direction I'm looking for.  I guess I'm ultimately expecting to find a diet that more closely mirrors some native or established eating tradition.

Sorry  :'(

Charles Peden

earthpet

• PUFAs and Fructose
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:31 AM »

I have added the Shangri-La Diet back into my low PUFA experiment.  I am using a cheap, flavorless coconut oil.  My reasoning for starting back on the Shangri-La Diet is because I want to be able to consume more coconut oil.  I don't always have time to cook meals on days that I work and I want to be certain of getting coconut oil into my diet.

My understanding is that body fat has a 600 day half life.  It takes about 4 years to completely replace the oils in your body with the oils you have been consuming.  If you have been consuming a lot of PUFA, your adipose tissue concentrations should eventually reflect that.  I want to have very low concentrations of PUFA and also reduced concentrations of MUFA.  It is almost impossible to completely eliminate PUFA from the diet.

I am reluctantly taking an omega-3 prescription (1g Lovaza).  Fish oil is a PUFA.  I take a vitamin E supplement with it to attempt to reduce its damage.  I don't plan on taking the Lovaza for more than 4 yrs.  It is going to be a long time before I can reasonably expect an alteration in my tissue lipids.  However, anecdotally I have experienced no "puffiness" in my face in the morning and I have not taken an antacid tablet since I started eating low PUFA.  I also seldom take an OTC analgesic.  I have not experienced any deleterious side effects.

I have been eating low PUFA for 60 days so far.

The thing that concerns me about the Shangri-La Diet is a possible lowering of the metabolism.  That is not something I would welcome.  I believe I already have a low metabolism and lowering it further (or keeping it lowered) through appetite suppression does not appeal to me.  However, if during this period my metabolism is lowered, at least I am altering the lipid concentrations of my tissues to reduce the mess caused by PUFA and estrogen on my thyroid and other organs.  It may provide a long term benefit worth pursuing. 

Perhaps this novelty can be put to good use whether it is palliative or not.  :)

So, I'm going to go ahead with the SLD.  You can keep up with my ongoing experiment with the link in the first of these posts.

Charles Peden

earthpet

• PUFAs and Fructose
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »

Calling it off, again. 

My weight is just too high and cumbersome to wait for SLD to become effective.  I've gained a few pounds in the first four days of SLD.  Perhaps some other time in the future.

August

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »

From what I looked at on the low-carb forum, you are eating too many processed foods to even call the original experiment a low pufa diet.  I looked over there because I was wondering why you'd give up SLD.  You can use SLD, go paleo (which is a low pufa diet and also keeps you from eating that awful cereal), go low-carb, and calorie restrict all at the same time, while not feeling that hungry.  I was eating around 1500 calories a day in my heavy weight loss days, and that was including the oil.  There really isn't a faster way, as far as I can tell.

You may look at some natural foods and think, well they are high in pufas, and you'd be right, but first, you can avoid them if you don't want them and second, processed foods are more likely to have damaged pufas in them which can only cause damage.  The body actually needs some trace amounts of real pufas.  In addition, even though folks whine about the 6:3 ratio of fats in store bought meat the reality is that, especially in beef, the fat is mainly saturated.  If you eat fatty cuts of meat, like brisket, you can eat smalll amounts (like 3 to 4 ounces) and then wait 20 minutes to see if you become satiated.  In this manner, you can create a calorie deficit.  You can even nose clip a meal in the morning.

So, yes, lowering your overall pufa exposure is a good idea, but your current path will likely lead to more weight gain, indeed it is leading to more weight gain as you have documented on the low-carb site.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »

Hi August,

May I ask which low carb site you're on?  I'm interested in information on low-carbing, as my doctor has me on a reduced carb diet.

Thanks,

T-Vix

August

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

tek_vixen,

I just followed the link earthpet put up.  Earthpet has a description of his 'diet' over in Jimmy Moore's forums.
I don't post there, but I do read Jimmy's blog and listen to his podcasts.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »

Thanks, August!  I just found it and registered.

T-Vix

earthpet

• PUFAs and Fructose
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:33:52 PM »

Thanks for the comment.

A paleo diet is a blind sweeping approach to weight control based on a theory of what was eaten during the paleolithic era.  Very significant changes can be made in evolution in only a few generations.  Grains have been a staple in the human diet since Egypt was the most powerful nation on earth.  Perhaps even before then.

Our paleolithic ancestors probably did not eat potatoes, but potatoes are easy to digest and are full of nutrition.  The use of potatoes coincides with the population explosion and the ability of humans to prevent or reduce once common famines.  The paleolithic culture was not as advanced as modern man is at preventing famines.

There is no evidence that "processing" food makes it obesogenic.  There is no evidence that reducing calories cures obesity.  If I simply wanted to achieve a temporary weight loss I could reduce calories and make myself hungry.  Palliative measures are well known.  I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was looking for a "weight loss diet".  I am not.  I am looking for a cure to obesity.  That requires testing hypotheses and experimenting.  It may also require a period of time that people conditioned on "quick weight loss" would be too impatient to even try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18