sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We are survivors...  now, you are handed a GIFT.. You can DO IT. -- jezzica

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flax oil: filtered or unfiltered? (P.S. What's "lignan-enriched"?)  (Read 3505 times)

oversandal

I went to Whole Foods to get some flax oil. The best deal they had was their own brand 365.

For 365 brand flax oil, there are three types:
-filtered
-filtered (lignan-enriched)
-unfiltered (lignan-enriched)

Calories for the filtered is 120, and for the unfitlered 110.
The guy at Whole Foods said the filtered has more oil. Would this mean that the filtered flax oil is a better choice for the Shangri-la diet?

In addition, does anyone know what exactly "lignan-enriched" mean? And how does it affect the Shangri-la diet?

shovelqueen

Re: Flax oil: filtered or unfiltered? (P.S. What's "lignan-enriched"?)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:11 am »

Whole flax seeds or flaxmeal has cancer-protective compounds called lignans.  The oil pressed from flax does not.  People want the benefit of the lignans while taking the oil, hence the "enriched" products.  Can't speak to whether this is a good idea or not, as I'm unaware of the process by which they "enrich" it.  Best source is likely the ground flaxseeds themselves.  I wouldn't trust a processed product to be as effective as the natural item in it's natural mix of compounds.

It does not have "more oil".  Either will work for SLD if you can keep them flavourless when taking them, harder than you might think.  They are VERY flavourful.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

oversandal

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:08 am »

Whole flax seeds or flaxmeal has cancer-protective compounds called lignans.  The oil pressed from flax does not.  People want the benefit of the lignans while taking the oil, hence the "enriched" products.  Can't speak to whether this is a good idea or not, as I'm unaware of the process by which they "enrich" it.  Best source is likely the ground flaxseeds themselves.  I wouldn't trust a processed product to be as effective as the natural item in it's natural mix of compounds.

It does not have "more oil".  Either will work for SLD if you can keep them flavourless when taking them, harder than you might think.  They are VERY flavourful.

They also had a lemon-flavor flax oil (filtered). Would this be YES or NO for the Shangri-la diet?

toadkid

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:29:42 pm »

They also had a lemon-flavor flax oil (filtered). Would this be YES or NO for the Shangri-la diet?
It doesn't matter what the flavor is, as long as you can prevent yourself from tasting the flavor (e.g. with a nose clip and good mouth rinse)! In order for SLD to work, your oil calories must be flavorless.

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

oversandal

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:51:01 pm »

It doesn't matter what the flavor is, as long as you can prevent yourself from tasting the flavor (e.g. with a nose clip and good mouth rinse)! In order for SLD to work, your oil calories must be flavorless.

So in order to apply it for the Shangri-la diet, I shouldn't be able to taste any flavor when I consume the oil (i.e. blocking my nose) whether or not I can stand it's awful taste?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18