Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
My experiment in weight loss

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My experiment in weight loss  (Read 6825 times)

javacody

My experiment in weight loss
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »

A little history. I started out about 5 years ago at 456 pounds. I'm male, 37, and 6 foot, 4 inches tall.

Since then, I've tried low-carb, Tim Ferris' slow carb, Shangri-La, Fast Five, PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast), and even the 1000 calore Fat Fast. I experienced some level of success with all of these.

I currently weigh 370 pounds.

My current weight loss experiment combines elements of low-carb, Shangri-La, Fast Five, and the 1000 calorie fat fast.

I also recently read Seth's experiments with Butter and Tim Ferris' recommendations about saturated fats to increase Testosterone levels.

Then too, I've read about the safflower oil and sesame oil studies.

So here's what I'm doing.

4 TB of butter + 2 tsp of Safflower oil in a big cup of coffee for breakfast (noseclipped)
Nothing but an energy drink and water until after 5:00 PM.
Eating as much low carb food as I want until 9:00 PM, focusing on getting at least 75% of calories from fat.

On Saturdays, I have a cheat day and eat whatever I want. Last saturday, I made Belgian waffles with REAL maple syrup, had mini pretzel dogs, pizza, blueberry toast, etc. etc.

I just started with the Safflower oil in my coffee with the butter, and I'm going to be taking the sesame oil right before bed at night.

Doing the above, I've lost 15 pounds in the last month. I started out more slow carb (low carb + beans), but didn't like how the water weight would move around so much on the scale. So in the past week, I've gone back to Atkins.

I feel like I have a plan of attack that will carry me to at least 300 and will be simple.

I have excellent AS, except on Sundays and Mondays, when I think my cheat day significantly raises my set point. I'm just going to up my flavorless calories on those days.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
Re: My experiment in weight loss
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »

Hey javacody, great to hear your story - you are roughly the same age and height as I am. Great to hear that you are losing weight and experimenting, I'm doing bits from Tim Ferris' book that just came out in the UK.

All the best!

N.

shovelqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »

Hey javacody, great to hear your story - you are roughly the same age and height as I am. Great to hear that you are losing weight and experimenting, I'm doing bits from Tim Ferris' book that just came out in the UK.

All the best!

N.

Hey, Numpty, I just got my hands on Tim Ferris's book.  Amazon delivered it yesterday.  I've just barely cracked the cover so far.  What tweaks are you trying?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:20:39 AM »

Hey, Numpty, I just got my hands on Tim Ferris's book.  Amazon delivered it yesterday.  I've just barely cracked the cover so far.  What tweaks are you trying?
Hi Shovelqueen, I'm trying PAGG and doing Occam's protocol at the gym. I get my protein within 30 minutes of waking and also top up protein level to get 1.25g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

N.

javacody

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:21:55 AM »

Tim's hints on what to do on cheat day are phenomenal. My weight has done down slowly, but my bodyfat percentages are going down faster. That means I'm gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. I exercise a lot on cheat day. I don't think I can eat 7000 calories like he does, though. I'd vomit.

Yesterday, I was ravenous at 3:30. I had four boiled eggs and celery & peanut butter. Today, I'm going to try a Jimmy John's Gargantuan sandwich in a lettuce wrap nose clipped at 4:00. That should kill my appetite for the rest of the night and be good protein and veggies at the same time.

Yesterday was just a crazy appetite day. No hunger until 3:30, then when it came time for dinner, I couldn't get full. I started off with 10 ounces of steak and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I waited 30 minutes, still famished. Ate another 5 ounce steak. Barely a dent in my appetite. Ate another 5 ounce steak wrapped in a low-carb tortilla (10 grams of fiber per tortilla, 4 grams net carbs), still hungry. Finally, another 5 ounce steak with Sriracha hot chili sauce on a low-carb tortilla. Still hungry!!! This food was spread out over an hour. I've never experienced anything like this before. But I worked out really hard yesterday, maybe that had something to do with it? Lifted weights and then did kettlebell training, plus walked for about 15 minutes.

Finally, I knew I had to stop the eating and hunger. Nose-clipped a TB of PB (nice rhyme, eh?  :lol:), then a TB of sesame oil. That did the trick.

shovelqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »

OMG, that's alot of food!!! :shock:  Didn't all that meat feel like a brick in your stomach? 

I can't wait to get into Tim's book.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

javacody

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »

OMG, that's alot of food!!! :shock:  Didn't all that meat feel like a brick in your stomach? 

I can't wait to get into Tim's book.

It should have, but it didn't. I found (and still find) the whole thing completely bizarre. I should have been nauseatingly full. Thank goodness for noseclipping. That was 200 grams of protein in an hour!

Tim's book is great, and it's written so that you don't need to read the whole thing from cover to cover. It's like a choose your own adventure health book.  :D

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »

Interesting what you say about body composition percentages - I'm eating quite a bit less and losing muscle overall as a result, but losing fat at a quicker rate.

When and if I get to 20% body fat I might have a go at bulking up, but that is so far away that I don't know what the journey will be like.

N.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18