Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Is the window really necessary?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the window really necessary?  (Read 5150 times)

squidsie

Is the window really necessary?
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:00:24 AM »

I've been trying to find data on whether the 2-hour window is really necessary.   One of my many reasons for asking this is that SlimShots is essentially the same intervention with similar results and without the 2 hour window.  That suggests that the Shangrila diet might be effective for reasons other than those originally given by Seth.

Does anyone have data on this? 

I've been following the diet for at least five years and using it off and on and find it effective. It's always saddened me that it hasn't been better researched.

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
Re: Is the window really necessary?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:45:14 AM »

The taste-free window of two hours (or other suitably long period of time) is necessary if SLD works by dissociation of calories from familiar taste -- the hypothesis inspired by Seth's original experience of losing his appetite when drinking unfamiliarly-flavoured sugar-sweetened soft drinks in Paris.  Alternative explanations for the SLD effect have been proposed on this board, such as in this long thread, where, among other considerations, the non-insulinogenicity of fats/oils has been posited as a factor.

Are you actually eschewing the two-hour window yourself?  If so, are you also making no attempts not to taste the oil (if that's what you're using)?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »

I actually have an interesting experience here:

A week ago I had a, for lack of better term, "gentleman caller" spend the night.  The following morning while getting ready for work I didn't want to look like a freak so I ran downstairs and quickly chugged my oil back, and then brushed my teeth completely non-noseclipped, I usually keep the noseclips on while brushing my teeth so I don't make any flavor associations.

Now granted, the flavor of toothpaste isn't exactly delicous and not something you'd want to actually EAT, nor does it really taste like anything people eat (unless you have a completely natural mint flavored paste, they tend to taste like mint and chemicals), but I had excellent AS that day.

I was thinking it was stupid while doing it, but I also do my oil for the Omega-3s and not just for the AS, so it didn't really bother me. 

But like I said it was just one day.

Maybe I should give it a try for a week and see what happens.

squidsie

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

Thanks Tandoori, that thread was quite informative.  I feel Todd's explanation is much better than the traditional one, even though the debate is largely over theory rather than data.  I'll keep with the window under the assumption that it's better to keep it, but I won't stress about it.

abs999

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »

In summer, window film reflects the sun, reducing solar heat gain and air conditioning costs. In winter, window film provides an additional thermal shield, reducing costly heating bills. Window film pays for itself year-round.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18