Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds  (Read 343876 times)

numpty01

Re: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 36.2 pounds
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 05:52:41 AM »

Bioelectric impedence measures are influenced by your hydration status, so will change if you are retaining fluid (lower % BF) or if you have lost some additional fluid (like during the first weeks of a diet, especially if you are eating less carbs), it will show an increase in % BF.  It's not that you have additional BF, just that the proportions have changed.  Not to worry. 

And heavy exercise that causes microscopic muscle damage (like heavy lifting) will usually cause fluid retention and hence a weight gain reflected on the scale.  Don't let that faze you either.

Can you tell I have one of these scales, too?  For many years and thousands of weighings.... :?

You are dong wonderfully! :D
Thanks :D good to have experiences to compare to. I must say in my own experience that SLD is a very easy regime. Had an interesting test of it today when I went out for lunch with colleagues - something we have done every week for years when we are in the office on the same day. I was worried that I would binge out but I didn't, I enjoyed the food I had, didn't finish all of the chips, and didn't feel the need to have pudding (dessert).

Enjoyed it nonetheless.

numpty01

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »

Down a half pound today over yesterday, but Shovelqueen gives a great explanation as to why a session on weights at the gym may alter the picture from the scales. The trend is still down and even at half a pound a day that is 3.5 lbs a week, which is significant. After 8 days I have lost a total of 7.4 lbs. I'm now cautiously optimistic that I can lose a total of a stone i.e. 7 more pounds in the next 8 days. And I am likely to continue to try losing after that - I've got the weight to lose, just wary of setting unachievable targets which I will miss.

As I am still seeing weight loss I am sticking with the starting quantities of sugar water and oil, giving me approximately 175 Calories.

Thanks for your support :D

N.

numpty01

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:39:57 AM »

Down another pound, and I now weigh 313 pounds. Still amazed each and every morning that I discover I have lost more weight, and quite surprised at how quickly it is coming off - I'm still on the starting dose and I am losing twice what is the usually recommended amount per week. The other stats on the scale were interesting today - although the overall loss was a pound, the percentages took a bit of a shuffle, with water weight going up and fat going down.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that I do not have a gall bladder - I had it removed about 15 years ago and that was the last time I lost any weight in significant quantity - due to complications from the gallstones with my pancreas I didn't eat for about 5 weeks - and lost a couple of stone.

The next milestone I have set myself is a stone from my starting weight i.e. 307 pounds, at the current rate this will be in about a couple of weeks. Longer term I would like to consider health related goals like 20% body fat, or reduction in what my scale is measuring as viceral fat. My confidence that these might be achievable grows and grows each day.

Thanks for your support.

N.

chrystaline

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »

I've read through your posts and it sounds like you are having great success! I am especially glad to see it in someone whose weight hasn't changed despite regular healthy activity. :) I am just starting to exercise regularly and hope, along with this program, to see a significant weight change.

chrystaline

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »

By the way, I just saw Tim Ferris on Doctor Oz and thought about some of his recommendations. The one that really stuck with me was the idea of taking in 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Do you do this? If so, how do you get in so much protein? I drank a shake yesterday morning with a mixture of soft tofu, plain yogurt, and fruit. I am still not sure if I made that threshold.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 12:42:46 PM »

Hi Chrystaline.  Did they say what the 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking does for you?  Thanks!

T-Vix

numpty01

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »

By the way, I just saw Tim Ferris on Doctor Oz and thought about some of his recommendations. The one that really stuck with me was the idea of taking in 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Do you do this? If so, how do you get in so much protein? I drank a shake yesterday morning with a mixture of soft tofu, plain yogurt, and fruit. I am still not sure if I made that threshold.
I like to keep moving in the morning before driving to work (or I get distracted and surf the web etc) so I use a protein based meal replacement from a company in the uk called myprotein ( http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/true_mrp ) and mix in some fibre and have with water. This has been my breakfast for over a year and helpfully has 40g of protein in it, as well as vitamins and carbs. They do a really nice chocolate mint flavour which I am used to. I originally found the product and tried it out as an unsuccessful attempt at losing weight.

Now I also get my other protein from myprotein, which I use to top up my daily protein intake to 1.25g per lb of muscle. Their stuff is very low carb though, so I have to remember to take carbs which the AS on SLD makes easy for me to forget - then I wonder why I lose concentration :) The cheaper protein I bought on offer actually had a fair amount of sugar in it which meant I could exist for longer in the day on just that.

I take my extra protein as four scoops of their powder with 300 ml of water mixed in their shaker - it mixes easily, although I found their Strawberry flavour a bit sickly - I'm finishing smooth chocolate and have another 1Kg of Chocolate Mint Whey Protein and 1Kg of Unflavoured.

numpty01

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »

Hi Chrystaline.  Did they say what the 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking does for you?  Thanks!

T-Vix
I'm going to jump in, on page 89 of the 4-Hour Body book Ferriss says "resting metabolism increases about 20% if your breakfast calories are at least 30% protein" and then page 95 adds some more experiences.

N.

numpty01

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 03:05:13 AM »

So I weighed in at 312.8 pounds on the scales this morning. I actually expected my weight to have gone up as I had a bit of a "binge" last night. I've not been sleeping well (possibly due to the green tea extract I am taking) and took Friday afternoon off work to rest up, this didn't happen and I ordered in a take away food delivery last night. I didn't eat as much as I would have before, but it was still quite a lot compared to the rest of the week. Evenings are a bit of a challenge but I am beginning to learn this.

It was a little test of how I handle breaks to my routine - I was out of the office all day and therefore it was a little harder to maintain food habits. And weekends tend to be a complete change to my routine too.

But I'm still down 0.2 :) on yesterday and there are still firsts happening which I will learn to anticipate.

Cheers

N.

Sanchiaza

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 03:57:28 AM »

Certainly with SLD eating often becomes more mindful, if not at that moment, then certainly with regard to things like eating habits. But you've done amazingly well so far and I can't see that a little overeat is going to do too much harm. The real victory is that you didn't eat as much of that take away as you would have previously - awesome  8)

numpty01

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 01:01:39 AM »

Drat, I've put on half a pound and the scale says 313.2 lbs, and I'm just about to go to the gym so it will probably go up tomorrow too.

I strictly counted calories yesterday and I measured a calorie deficit of 1200 or so, but it was probably the plate of Haggis, Neeps and Tatties (I know, the name amuses me too) late afternoon that has bumped up my carb intake and delivered a pile of salt related water issues.

This was despite a concerted effort to drink water - as well as tea I drunk 2 litres of bottled water (I just carry the bottle around with me until it is empty).

N.

shovelqueen

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 03:44:16 AM »

Fluid retention - the great fat pretender!  But it can never hang on for long in the face of healthier eating! :lol:

"Strength, balance, joy!"

numpty01

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 04:17:20 AM »

Fluid retention - the great fat pretender!  But it can never hang on for long in the face of healthier eating! :lol:
Cheers shovelqueen, your explanation was a great help in understanding the ups and downs of bioelectic impedance testing. And my own, yours and hopefulskeptic's comments are a reminder about the wibbly wobbly line that daily weighing is.

chrystaline

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »

Even knowing how many factors can go into daily weight fluctuations, I can't help it! And I am going to jump on that giant protein consumption morning thing. :) I am going to look into that MyProtein stuff. Hope it's not too much to import, or maybe I can find something comparable here. Thanks!

Chrystal

numpty01

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 10:25:50 PM »

Even knowing how many factors can go into daily weight fluctuations, I can't help it! And I am going to jump on that giant protein consumption morning thing. :) I am going to look into that MyProtein stuff. Hope it's not too much to import, or maybe I can find something comparable here. Thanks!

Chrystal
Hey Chrystal,
I'm not sure about your country, but locally in Scotland even supermarkets and discount chains have protein powders - and when I looked at it a couple of years ago there were two brands of so-called meal replacement easily available by mail order. A fair amount of the market is for therapy - when I hadn't eaten for a while I was given high protein drinks, so pharmacies have options too. Main thing is to check the label to see if you are getting the mix that you want, the websites I've seen have it all detailed on the product description.

All the best

N.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 54   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18