Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds  (Read 310541 times)

shovelqueen

Re: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 36.2 pounds
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »

Wonderful progress, Numpty!  Yes, Goblyn has found significant body shape changes when he is in a holding pattern scale-wise, especially in his waist size.  Maybe it's more of a guy thing!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2011, 04:52:04 AM »

Wonderful progress, Numpty!  Yes, Goblyn has found significant body shape changes when he is in a holding pattern scale-wise, especially in his waist size.  Maybe it's more of a guy thing!
I consider myself well informed but this is new to me too, after reminding myself about cellular respiration (I was wondering where my lost weight would be going) I'm now wondering where it has gone from my waist to. Thanks for the encouragement, it is all helping me to keep up the routine.

toadkid

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »

I think my jeans belt is beginning to feel looser again, at this rate I'll need to buy new clothes.
Terrific!

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »

Back up to 307.8 pounds today, so effectively little change for the last week. Or perhaps I eat too much of the wrong thing last night and I am retaining water - certainly my hydration and fat percentages have moved around.

So a question - how long should I wait before making changing my sugar water and oil mix quantities?

N.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:22:21 AM by numpty01 »

shovelqueen

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2011, 03:32:32 AM »

Don't change anything yet - it will likely be post weekend water retention, nothing more.  Even if you stall out for 2 weeks, I'd stay the course.  If you still get AS and you are eating similarly to the first month, the weight will come off.  My experience, though admittedly with a lot less to lose, is that your body will stabilize for a bit, then "whoosh" downward, settle again, then whoosh again.  Using some sort of averaging or trending weight monitoring, aka The Hacker's Diet Online, helps to see the overall trend, despite the fluctuations. 

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »

Cheers shovelqueen, Hacker's Diet is still showing a downward trend.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

306.2 pounds again today, and body fat and hydration back to previous figures though this may be a bit of rounding. Will wait and see! AS is good - I don't wake up in the middle of the night wanting to eat something (have had "midnight feasts" since I was a teenager - more like 2am).

Just about to go to the gym though, so that might blip the numbers.

N.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:30:21 AM by numpty01 »

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »

And today on my scale I am 306.2 pounds, same as yesterday. I was at the gym first thing and had an ok day other activity wise with 7,100 steps walked. All other stats on the scale are the same as yesterday.

And on another topic, I just got my results back from a vitamin D test from http://www.grassrootshealth.net/ which I returned a couple of weeks back. My result was 8 ng/mL when their recommendation is 40 - 60 ng/mL for good health. I scared myself by finding out that under 10 for children is rickets territory. Supplements ordered!

N.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:20:26 AM by numpty01 »

shovelqueen

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »

Aim for 2000mg/day until summer, then get out in the sun lots over the summer.  Northern, cold clime folks (Canadian speaking here :lol:) need supplemental Vit D to be anywhere near the recommendations (which BTW can go as high as a blood level of 75).  I've found cheap OTC chewable Vit D's, chocolate flavoured, no less.  I pop a couple of them every morning when getting out DS's pills.

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

I guess I've got a few things against me - living in Scotland, indoor job, fair skin and well overweight - all factors in Vitamin D deficiency.

I've been trying not to post everyday (calming down!) but keeping my ticker up to date. Not much to report, 304.4 pounds today.

N.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »

Glad you caught the vit D deficiency, numpty!  Mine was 15 ng/mL last spring and they put me on 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks.  At the end of those 8 weeks it was up to 30.  You might want to work with a doctor to raise yours, because I doubt the 1-2K IU that most people take will get you very far very quickly.  But I also wouldn't recommend self-prescribing the levels they had me at.  I do know that I started feeling a ton better when I got my levels up closer to the normal range.  I probably should go back in this spring and get re-tested to make sure I'm maintaining a decent level, and maybe even move up into the recommended range.

And don't worry about posting every day.  It's fun to see people's progress.  Congrats on the last couple of pounds.  I know they took a few days to come off -- but they did come off, right?  8)

T-Vix

brzee

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »

everywhere i turn lately it seems that someone is mentioniing how important it is to take vitamin D.

What are the reasons and does a deficiency of this contribute gain weight gain?

VeganKitten

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

I am very excited for springtime when I can replenish my D levels the sunshiney way  8)

Not for a while yet though, we're looking at up to 12 inches of snow this weekend!

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:34 PM »

Yes, weight gain and fatigue are two things a vitamin D deficiency can contribute to.  It (the lack of, that is) has also been implicated in an increased susceptibility to respiratory infections.  I can't remember the article I read about weight gain, but it seemed like it was a vicious circle where increased fat "locks up" the body's stores of vitamin D, leaving less of it circulating in the blood.  And it takes vitamin D in the blood to release fat.  I'm pretty sure I read it on here.  Does anybody else remember it?

T-Vix

numpty01

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2011, 12:45:46 AM »

Hey all, I'll start with an update - 303.8 pounds today, so losing weight. The scale also showed a little shift in body composition over yesterday, as far as the numbers looked I retained muscle mass this time. I'll post a summary table after this showing the change.

Generally watching calories during the day - protein shakes and meal replacements, but I included a donut at lunchtime and had a nice roast beef dinner with my wife in the evening so I'm hardly restricting myself. Glad to be back in the office and keeping to my routine - I don't drink as much water when at home.

Minor chaos with my scale this morning, it wasn't writing to the usb stick that transfers the data to my PC, so I changed the scale batteries. But stupidly I got one in wrong and zapped the date settings. So sorted that all out and reentered the date, but thankfully it had remembered my user settings. So I think I've weighed myself four times this morning, thankfully all of the numbers were the same.

On the Vitamin D front I'm not sure what prompted me to take the test, but I think I can blame the Tim Ferris 4 Hour Body book again - he does a lot of testing in that. I've started taking 5000 IU a day but I am thinking about going to the Doctor.

N.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18