Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds  (Read 305752 times)

numpty01

Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 70.6 pounds
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

Hi All,

I'm a 6'5" male from Scotland, aged 40, and my weight has been pretty steady for the last year at around 322lbs. I like gadgets and have a pedometer that uploads stats by USB to my computer, and my scales also take a USB stick that will upload to my PC too. During the recent festive season holidays I walked 10,000 steps a day but my weight did not change.

I found out about Tim Ferris new book called 4 Hr Body, and one of the (missed) chapters was by Seth Roberts. After three weeks of taking supplements and going to the gym I hadn't seen any change to my weight, so I thought I would look for Flaxseed Oil. I couldn't find any in the large Asda store close to my work but on further reading found the post by Stephen M on starting. Asda had own-brand extra light olive oil, and also stocked one brand of cold pressed rapeseed oil. So I went shopping and bought a 250ml bottle of each, a bag of my favourite Golden Granulated Sugar, and a set of measuring spoons. I also ordered a second hand version of the book on amazon.co.uk so I could read the whole story. (Now I understand that I am on a variant of Rule 1 from the book).

I went with Seth's timing of before bed so I take my dose each evening after 22:30, an hour after brushing my teeth. I started on Tuesday 18th and take a half tablespoon of Extra Light Olive Oil, a half tablespoon of Rapeseed Oil (Canola) and put this into half a cup of lukewarm water that has a tablespoon of golden granulated sugar in it.

I have a nose clip from when I used to swim more a few years ago, so I went the whole hog and used this too although it can be a bit tough to swallow and drink without being able to breathe through my nose! I then wash my mouth out with a couple of large swigs of water.

Results in the next post

Regards

N.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:16:21 AM by numpty01 »

numpty01

Re: Newbie Numpty having a go at SLD lost 36.2 pounds
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

Results time, I measure my weight each morning after my shower. My scales measure various stats so I will include these too:
DateWeight(Lb)Body Fat (%)BMR(Kcal)Muscle Mass(%)Body Water(%)
Jan 18 2011321.035.4279934.647.3
Jan 25 2011316.234.9276934.847.7
Jan 26 2011314.635.1274534.747.5
Jan 27 2011314.035.1274134.847.5
Jan 28 2011313.034.7273634.847.8
Jan 29 2011312.834.7273434.747.8
Jan 30 2011313.234.8273734.847.7
Jan 31 2011312.234.7273034.847.8
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:22:11 PM by numpty01 »

numpty01

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:12:31 AM »

Hi,

So my verdict - quite surprised. I have been cutting down calories over the last few weeks, taking the "Four Horseman" stack from 4Hr Body and trying to eat more protein than carbs - I bought some discounted protein powder from Argos and added this in.

But until I started SLD my weight was pretty static, even averaging 5000 steps a day or more and weight training twice a week. I expected to have to take more oil but I've seen immediate results and until I see any change will stay with the starting amounts, i.e. sugar water with half a tablespoon each of oil, taken once a day before bed.

I can't believe I've already lost 4.8 lbs, of late I actually thought my scales were malfunctioning because my weight didn't vary. I've not even completed a week, so each day I expect it all to reverse.

Cheers

N.

VeganKitten

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »

Welcome to the boards! I see you are a self-experimenter and record-keeper after (many of) our own hearts.  :lol:

numpty01

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:24 AM »

Welcome to the boards! I see you are a self-experimenter and record-keeper after (many of) our own hearts.  :lol:
Hey, thanks for the welcome. A big record keeper but even better to see something changing.

Today's result is the first that has not seen my overall weight go down so a bit of a disappointment. But on the other side:

• Weighing every day can show blips like this
  • Now that I'm reading the book I see that non-white sucrose is too tasty
  • I was at the gym yesterday
  • It is the weekend so habits and routine are different

I will switch sugar to white (cheap enough anyway) and run for another week to see how the stats shape up.

Cheers

N.

shovelqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »

Welcome aboard, Numpty!  I'm a daily weigher, too, and I find that it really helps to understand the effects that daily intake and activities and elimination patterns and fluid retention have on that number.  Best to look for trends and not be too fazed by daily blips.  I've had an 8 lb ( :shock:) rebound this week, due entirely to a few days of high wheat and white sugar intake.  GRRRR! :x  But at least I understand that, and the weight is coming back off.

You sound off to a great start!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

numpty01

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:59:19 AM »

Welcome aboard, Numpty!  I'm a daily weigher, too, and I find that it really helps to understand the effects that daily intake and activities and elimination patterns and fluid retention have on that number.  Best to look for trends and not be too fazed by daily blips.  I've had an 8 lb ( :shock:) rebound this week, due entirely to a few days of high wheat and white sugar intake.  GRRRR! :x  But at least I understand that, and the weight is coming back off.

You sound off to a great start!
Hey shovelqueen, thanks for the welcome. The start has been great and is a new trend for me to get used to, and I don't have enough data to draw full conclusions yet. I'm trying hard not to change protocol too early :)

Good to hear you know what is going on, and thanks for your posts on the board.

hopefulskeptic

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »

Welcome! Congrats on your success so far.

I weigh myself daily, too. It helps me understand how my habits and emotions are tying into attaining my goal. I tried to do SLD without weighing myself but found that I tended to gain - not sure why.

One tool I use besides the ticker is something called Hackers Diet online. Hackers Diet helps to show trends - and is a lifesaver in terms of keeping you focused on the longer journey, and not just the daily number, when it comes to panicking over a sudden gain.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/

Good luck!
I'm 5'7. This is my second round with SLD, and I'm in my fourth week.

numpty01

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »

Welcome! Congrats on your success so far.

I weigh myself daily, too. It helps me understand how my habits and emotions are tying into attaining my goal. I tried to do SLD without weighing myself but found that I tended to gain - not sure why.

One tool I use besides the ticker is something called Hackers Diet online. Hackers Diet helps to show trends - and is a lifesaver in terms of keeping you focused on the longer journey, and not just the daily number, when it comes to panicking over a sudden gain.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/

Good luck!
Hey thanks, I will have a look at that site. Early days for me and the acid test will be sticking with it, but the early success should help convince me to stick with it.

All the best

N.

Sanchiaza

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »

Hello Numpty and welcome  :D Awesome progress so far  8) And a really, really interesting set of data in your second post.

I like gadgets a whole lot as well - what kind of scale do you have? And pedometer?

numpty01

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 12:28:40 AM »

Hello Numpty and welcome  :D Awesome progress so far  8) And a really, really interesting set of data in your second post.

I like gadgets a whole lot as well - what kind of scale do you have? And pedometer?
Hey,
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm hoping this will work.

The scale I have is a Salter MiBody 9119 and the pedometer I have is an Omron Walking Style Pro HJ-720IT-E . I use an online service that integrates with the Omron called Walking Spree - http://www.walkingspree.com/

Cheers

N.

Sanchiaza

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:41 AM »

Cool, thanks.

numpty01

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »

So to review the previous week. I have lost 5.2lbs, and I am well on the way to being the lowest weight I have measured myself at for the last 12 months - I dipped to 315 lbs in April 2010.

I take my sugar and oil mix each evening before bed, and have been taking a tablespoon of sugar with a half tablespoon each of the oils. After receiving and reading the book I changed from "Golden Granulated" to White sugar on Sunday evening to make sure there was less taste.

I have kept the quantities the same, so each evening I am now having a tablespoon of white sugar dissolved in half a cup of water, into that I put half a tablespoon of Asda Light and Mild Olive Oil, and half a tablespoon of Borderfields Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil (Canola).

I will see if a plateau develops and then I guess I should increase quantities. For the moment I am keeping them the same as the trend is still downwards.

Cheers

N.

numpty01

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:56:57 PM »

My weight is down again, today I showed on the scale as 314.6 lbs. This means I have lost 6.8 lbs since the beginning of last week. Each day I expect my weight to have gone back up again, but then it has done the opposite!

I had a look at the other numbers that my scale produces and wasn't so happy - it looks like my proportion of fat has gone up, but then I realised I had broken a rule of measurement. My scale takes details about myself such as height and sex etc, but also age. My height hasn't changed over the last year, but it had not adjusted my age. So I changed that last night and I think that this may have changed the output of the formula it uses to calculate percentages based on the impedance it measures through my feet.

The general trend is still down though. Still amazed, but very happy - I'm now thinking what it will be like to lose my first stone - to be down to 307 lbs. Two weeks ago I thought this was impossible.

And looking back through the history recorded by the scale since I bought it a year ago, my weight today is the lowest it has ever recorded for me. That is a milestone!

Today I was at the gym for my short weight machines session based on the Occam's exercise in the 4 hour body book, it will be interesting to see if this has an impact on weight lost today.

Cheers

N.

shovelqueen

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 03:56:04 AM »

Bioelectric impedence measures are influenced by your hydration status, so will change if you are retaining fluid (lower % BF) or if you have lost some additional fluid (like during the first weeks of a diet, especially if you are eating less carbs), it will show an increase in % BF.  It's not that you have additional BF, just that the proportions have changed.  Not to worry. 

And heavy exercise that causes microscopic muscle damage (like heavy lifting) will usually cause fluid retention and hence a weight gain reflected on the scale.  Don't let that faze you either.

Can you tell I have one of these scales, too?  For many years and thousands of weighings.... :?

You are dong wonderfully! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18