Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I'm New & So Far It's Not Working

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm New & So Far It's Not Working  (Read 11595 times)

Ms_Nei

I'm New & So Far It's Not Working
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »

I had a gastric bypass almost 2 years ago and lost 100 or so lbs--great; but gained about 10 back--not so great, and still need to lose another 30-50 lbs, also not so great. I've tried the SLD three times. The first time, it worked wonders and I lost several lbs in a couple of weeks. For whatever reason, I stopped doing it and the weight came back, which I expected. This is my 3rd time starting back up, and the scale will not budge! This is my 2nd week going into SL, and I'm giving it 30 days. If I don't see any results, I'm gonna be ready to throw in the towel. Any suggestions? I take 5 TBS sugar water thru out the day and about 1 TBS of ELOO at nite. I found I gained weight just doing the ELOO by itself. Please, please give me some advice. Anybody????

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: I'm New & So Far It's Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »

Hello, welcome to the boards!

Patience, when it comes to getting your AS and losing weight, is necessary on SLD.  If you are coming back to SLD after using a calorie restricted diet approach to weight loss it can take time to lower your set point to the point where you can actually begin to lose weight (calorie restriction usually raises your set point).

My advice is to give it at least two weeks.  If you don't get AS and start losing weight by that point, you can try switching things up, using more ELOO, switching to canola, or another flavorless oil, using platinum calories, intermittant fasting, noseclipping, crazy spicing, etc...(all these subjects can be found on the tips and innovations boards).

And of course, keep asking questions, we like to be a helpful forum!!!!

Ms_Nei

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:11:27 AM »

Thank you, I've also found on the board it could take 6-7 weeks to see results. I guess I'm a lil too anxious and used to the fast results I got in the beginning with the gastric bypass surgery. I'm sipping my sugar water now. I will keep trying and post my progress. Thanks!

Ms_Nei

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »

I'm now in my 3rd week of starting Shangri-La and finally getting good AS. I just upped my doseage this week to 3TBS per day of flavorless oil (a mixture of ELOO and Canola Oil). Had no appetite for breakfast and could only eat 1/2 of my lunch. When I do try and eat what I think are my favorite ditto foods, they just don't taste so good anymore. Could barely drink my daily Starbucks coffee this morning. It tasted too strong, no matter how much cream I added. The bold flavor just really stood out. My mom made me a loaf of homemade banana nut bread, and I could barely eat it. It's like I could taste every spice she put in it (nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.). I find I tend to favor bland foods now and have hardly any tolerance for anything else. I've only lost 3 lbs. Will see if I keep it off this week before changing my ticker, because I've been gaining and losing the same couple of lbs since I started.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »

I'm glad it's working for you -- well, at least the AS part :). You might also want to try noseclipping butter. That's what I do. I eat the butter with small pieces of meat.

la-di-da

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

Hi Ms. Nei! I'm very excited to see your post. I started SLD again around the same time as you. I have pretty good AS, although no weight loss has registered. Actually, that's not true- I had gained 2 1/2 pounds last week by taking the oil in a not-beneficial way (I think) and have lost that. Thank G-d, as those few pounds pushed my weight into uncharted territory.

I had good success maintaining an eight pound loss for about two years on SLD, which may not sound like much, but it did get me back into the normal weight range for my body. It really does work once you get going. I've never had to wait this long to lose, though, so I've been frustrated. I'm going to stick with it and I hope you do, too. Your post was inspiring to me, so I had to write. Good luck!

firemedicc

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

Seth,

What kind of meat do you use, and how much meat is a small amount?

Ms_Nei

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 06:58:37 AM »

I'm glad it's working for you -- well, at least the AS part :). You might also want to try noseclipping butter. That's what I do. I eat the butter with small pieces of meat.

hmmm . . . maybe, but I think I will get sick from the butter. I am going to start noseclipping part of my meals.

Ms_Nei

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

I want to try and post when I can so I won't seem like one of those who just "disappears" from the board. Whether this diet works for me or not, and whether or not I lose all the weight I'd like to (roughly 77 lb), I want to keep people informed. Especially since so far, I believe I'm the only one trying the Shangri-la diet AFTER gastric bypass surgery.

Right now, I've worked my way up to 4 TBS oil per day, which is about right for my weight: 242 lb. I know it's hard to believe someone could weigh this much after gastric bypass surgery, but I do. And I've accepted it. Time to move on. At my highest, I was 342 lb, so not so bad. I'm looking to get down to 165 lb, but will accept 180-199. I really just want to get out the 200s  >:(

Today, I had two cups of coffee, 1/2 of a greek yogurt with a lil low fat granola and walnuts. I couldn't eat another bite if I tried. And believe me, I would try. I love food and am obsessed with it. But, the great thing about Shangri-la, is I can't eat as much, and I don't care . . . I bought all kinds of healthy snacks: granola bars, baked chips, low fat icecream . . . Guess what? It's still sitting around at home. Nothing tastes good and I no longer desire snack food.

Secondly, this diet is forcing me to drink A LOT of water, which goes hand in hand with AS. I'm constantly thirsty. And if I drink anything with flavor (other than plain ol' water), it leaves a lingering aftertaste on my tongue for hours on end.

So I am optimistic this diet will help me lose the rest of my weight. Oh yeah, and today I am going to start exercising. Not that I feel I have to, but want to  ;D

soooz

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »

Hi Miss Nei,

I'm a fellow gastric bypass'er trying SLD for the first time - I just wondered if you have made any more progress with it?  I'm 3 years post op and I'm starting with ELOO (am a bit reluctant to try sugar in case it hits me hard!).

I would love to know how this goes for you - I was a little worried that I may bypass some of the oil which 'could' in theory lessen the effect of it perhaps?  (I've also had 2 days of dashing to the bathroom within half an hour of taking my ELOO which might be troublesome)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

Seth,

What kind of meat do you use, and how much meat is a small amount?

In China I use a certain kind of roast pork. In Berkeley I have been using roast beef sliced thin. I divide a half stick of butter into 12 pieces, eaten 6 in the morning, 6 later. I eat each piece with a small piece of sliced roast beef, perhaps 4-6 square inches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18