Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why don't thin people get fat?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why don't thin people get fat?  (Read 12594 times)

Sanchiaza

Why don't thin people get fat?
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:30:54 AM »

I unfortunately missed this documentary when it was shown here a few weeks ago, but one of my lecturers mentioned it in class (which got me thinking and indirectly led me to SLD via Martha Beck) - I finally remembered to google it. Some of the reviews and stuff written around it is interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/horizon-%E2%80%93-why-are-thin-people-not-fat/

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2009/01/tv_review_horiz_10.html

Such a pity that they don't seem to know anything about SLD, especially the tvscoop reviewer!

An Alchemist

Re: Why don't thin people get fat?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:44:06 AM »

Thin people probably don't get fat because their lifestyle (total diet, exercise, and other affecting factors) aren't conducive to becoming fat. More interesting would be to do a long-term, in-depth analysis of lifestyle to see where the major differences between the two groups lie.

This is akin to asking why non-smokers don't smoke (or have ciggy-breath). The two are mutually exclusive.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:32:20 AM »

My dad and my uncle used to work together.

Every day before lunch, they would jum on the industrial scale.
then they would eat lunch.
My dad would eat one sandwich.
My uncle would eat a thermos full of sloppy joes, 1/2 loaf of bread, a quart jar of peaches, and a thermos full of coffee.

After lunch they would jump back on the scale.
My dad, after eating one peanut butter sandwich would have gained 3lbs.
My uncle's weight would remain the same.

How can you take 2-3lbs of food off a table and eat it without at least gaining the weight of the food?
So there is something more here than just lifestyle choices.

Otherwise my uncle, who eats like a horse, still, would be the fat guy.

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »

Did you dad have a lot of liquid with meals?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »

DH is 50 and has the same lean body as in his 20's.
All the exercise he makes is help around the house once or twice a week, carrying shopping bags ditto, washing the car twice a month.
He eats lots of bread, butter, olives, lupines, and adds salt to everything.
He eats meat but chases away all the fat.
He loves snails and seafood too. He cooks snails with bacon.
Has beer at lunch & dinner 90% of the times.
Doesn't care much for desserts but when he does, he likes them extremely sugary.
He keeps gummy bears at the office and home and has them as a snack.
His dad was like him, and several cousins too.
His sister is definitely overweight, his mother just borderline overweight.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:25:01 AM »

Did you dad have a lot of liquid with meals?

Nope
just a glass of water.
no where near the volume of a thermos full of coffee.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:03:48 AM »

Yeah, I think if we look at all the people we know, we can see some people who are fat because they eat like pigs and never exercise, thin people who are thin because they eat nothing and work out like they're training for the boston marathon, fat people who have been doing weight watchers and working out for years and have only lost a few lbs, thin people who eat like pigs and never work out and stay thin.  There is obviously more to your body weight than just calories in/calories out.  There are obviously genetic issues, metabolism issues, psychological issues, etc...

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »

Anyway I don't agree with the question title bc thin people can eventually get fat, I'm proof of that.

In DH's case I think it's genetics pure and simple.

But didya watch The Biggest Loser? Those guys DID lose. (not sure if they maintained)

(sorry I'm writing weird I'm fighting with a mouse that's decided to flip out right now)

Sanchiaza

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »

:lol: The question comes from a documentary made by BBC Horizon last year and shown here recently - the title being "Why aren't thin people fat?" or some such (hmm, the question I used may not have been the best phrasing).

Interesting experiment - they took thin people and made them eat MANY more calories than usual for four weeks and then monitored them to see what they did with the excess. One showed compensatory (unconscious) fidgeting, one could not get the food down and was sick, one put on more muscle and had an increase in metabolism. Some gained a few kg but within two weeks after the end of the 4 weeks were back at their starting weight. But check out the links - although they are reviews/blurbs about the doccie, they make for interesting reading in themselves, especially the comments of the reviewer in the last link!

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

I  love Horizon BBC's documentaries but haven't seen that one, i'll keep an eye out as they repeat a lot.

What I suspect is 4 weeks isn't enough to enlarge your stomach and make it want more more more to feel full. Was there no one who actually gained in the long run? Well I better see those links... :)

mrbarnett21

• Live Laugh Love
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »

I unfortunately missed this documentary when it was shown here a few weeks ago, but one of my lecturers mentioned it in class (which got me thinking and indirectly led me to SLD via Martha Beck) - I finally remembered to google it. Some of the reviews and stuff written around it is interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/horizon-%E2%80%93-why-are-thin-people-not-fat/

http://www.tvscoop.tv/2009/01/tv_review_horiz_10.html

Such a pity that they don't seem to know anything about SLD, especially the tvscoop reviewer!

Most of us were all skinny at a point of our lives, but due to our imperfection and lack of real food many of us have health issues especially obesity.
Live Laugh Love

abs999

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »

For years, experts argued over the results of the Vermont prison study. According to the classical model of calories in, calories out, such high intakes should have led to a dramatic weight gain, especially since exercise was forbidden during the experiment. So how did some of the inmates stay thin?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18