Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
CHIA!!!!!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: CHIA!!!!!!  (Read 31123 times)

LittlePlum

Re: CHIA!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »

Well I think there might something in this "Chia as an appetite suppressant" idea.

I ate my morning oatmeal with 1/6 cup ground chia mixed in (half of my 1/3 cup that I ground up yesterday and mixed into a frankly disgusting looking paste resembling minced slugs). I ate it with 1/4 cup milk, water, and 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup.

Texture not too bad, taste a little like ground flax. Half way through I felt like I couldn't eat any more - not sure if was satiety or just that it wasn't so good I wasn't interested in eating it. Drank my usual large mug of good coffee though.

Lunch was small, dinner was small but I was hungry for it and ate earlier than usual. But all day I've been feeling sort of yucky and sickened by things.

Crunch time - last night I baked a batch of brownies, been testing recipes, tweaking etc as I'm charged with making some for a friends birthday next week. This evening I went to sample my efforts. All these brownies just seemed so  bleugh. I sampled one and I had to force myself to eat it, it felt like my mouth was dry and I couldn't eat another morsel. I thought the batch was no good, was cursing myself, why is my baking all going wrong? Deposited the lot in the bin in disgust. DH came into the kitchen later, sampled the unfinished brownie I'd left on the counter and pronounced it perfect... AS strikes again!

Now I'm feeling really queasy having just drunk a large cup of redbush tea, and I'm thinking that the chia is definitely taking hold. Wow.

terio

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »

I just got home from work and my chia was waiting on my doorstep.  I just mixed up a third cup with 2 cups water and it's in my refrigerator.  Looking forward to trying it.

shovelqueen

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »

Rather than do the "pudding" texture chia with a spoon, I scooped about a half cup of the gel into a glass of water, about 1 1/2 cups, and stirred it up, then chugged it down.  The chia is almost unnoticeable. Really quite remarkable.  No taste and almost no texture to notice.  Went down pretty much like a regular glass of water.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »

SQ, this is my preferred way to take chia (besides my chia in iced coffee).  When I think about it, I do this about a .5-1 hour before my evening meal, or if I'm going to be going out running errands for the day, I'll do this before I leave and I find that I don't get the urge to stop for a snack anywhere (going out shopping has always been associated with snack foods/going out to eat with me, so this is remarkable).

LittlePlum:  That's awesome!  I love it when AS makes food that is supposedly "delicious" taste like crap!  I have found that I no longer can eat the cookies at subway (I don't know if you have this in the UK, its a sanwich shop and right at the checkout counter they have these amazing looking large soft fresh baked cookies), they taste like grease to me.  I also have the problem where unless french fries (chips) are extremely fresh out of the fryer, all I taste is oil.  Its gross!

So my bf tried chia for the first time yesterday.  He took some in the morning and then again in the evening, and went the ENTIRE day without eating, I had to convince him that he needed to eat something for supper because while chia is good for you, its not a complete food source.

terio

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »

Rather than do the "pudding" texture chia with a spoon, I scooped about a half cup of the gel into a glass of water, about 1 1/2 cups, and stirred it up, then chugged it down.  The chia is almost unnoticeable. Really quite remarkable.  No taste and almost no texture to notice.  Went down pretty much like a regular glass of water.

I'll have to try that method.  I tried some of the gel plain this morning, and found it hard to get down.  The fact that I went out last night with friends and drank too much wine may have had something to do with that though!   :lol:

Jbird

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »

Is anyone noticing any mood lifting or energizing effects from the chia? I'd quit caffeine but was wondering why I felt so revved up recently and remembered it was originally used as a kind of energy drink by the Aztecs, if I recall correctly. And omega-3 is supposed to be good for mood. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, or maybe it's a coincidence. Last night I soaked a serving of a multigrain cereal that's supposed to be cooked (it's like oatmeal but with different types of grains) in a cup of water and half an oz. of chia seeds and kept that in the fridge overnight. This morning I added some slivered almonds and blueberries. It was like muesli, really delicious with a chewy consistency. For lunch I made a huge salad and soaked the same amount of chia seeds in some light dressing. It got all thick and gummy and I added a mashed up tomato and stirred it into the salad. Definitely helps with fullness and satiety so i don't feel the urge to snack, but I'm not seeing the scale go down yet. Not expecting anything dramatic, but I'd like to lose a few more pounds.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »

First day I saw a weight figure below 60 kg on the scale this year! Yes, it was before Xmas that I last weighed below 60 kg. CO gives me AS and Chia makes me crave liquids or foods with large % water. I've been living on melon, watermelon and grapes! I kid you not!
However, from Friday to Sat I had a nasty episode of bloating, tummy making noises, and smelly gas (sorry TMI) and I don't have a clue why.
Now I must start with the Gabriel method, the stress in my life is becoming overwhelming. I need to steal an MP3 from my kidos!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

anacara

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »

Hi guys. I've been trying to get some of this wonderful sounding chia here in Athens but both of the health food stores I go to in the centre tell me that they can't get it in fast enough! Apparently they sell out as soon as they receive it! Maybe someone else in Athens has been reading this thread...  :)

goblyn

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »

anacara, I feel like there are people from Greece on the Gabriel Method threads.  I know the majority of them are from Australia, but I'm pretty sure there is a good number from all over Europe, so it wouldn't suprise me too much lol

goblyn

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

Okay so two chia related questions.

The first is:

Has anyone who's been doing chia for a little while now noticed it interrupting their sleep cycle?  For the last two weeks every single night (with the exception of a few where I've taken Ambien or tylenol PM in desperation) I have woken up sharply at 2 am, wide awake as if it were morning.  And since I refuse to just give into the wakefullness, I toss and turn for a few hours, falling asleep just before dawn (and thus ending up groggy when the alarm goes off an hour later).  It seems to not matter what time I go to sleep, I wake up at 2 (this could be psychological of course).  Friday night I ended up staying up with friends until around 2 anyways.  I was starting to get sleepy right around 11 or so, which is my normal time to go to sleep, but 1:45 rolled around and I got a second wind, and you guessed it, was unable to sleep until just before dawn.

Its driving me absolutely crazy, and I have no idea what could be causing it, but I half wonder if it has anything to do with chia?  I know its supposed to give you more energy, but I actually don't notice more energy through the day, just my normal amount.  In fact, because of this crazy sleep cycle thing, I've been more tired during the day, usually I get my second wind as I'm leaving work in the afternoon, lately, I have been going home and just wanting to sit on the couch and do nothing.  Granted I was sick last week, and that could have something to do with it, but I can't help but think that the chia is somehow related...

goblyn

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »

Oh and my second question is:

As you may know, my bf has started to take chia.  He's happy with the results so far, he's getting AS like the rest of us, but he's also getting really bad digestive issues from it as well.  Now we have experienced the phenomena that it passes through without digesting completely (at least until your body gets used to it, same was true for oil for me).  However, he's been doing chia for probably 2 weeks now and is STILL having this issue.  He's also begun to find that its giving him looser stools, and finding its way out unbidden.  He's also noticed some blood when wiping himself.  So my first thought was that he perhaps has a touch of diverticulitis, which would not be good of course, so I am hoping that someone else is having similar digestive issues.  I am wondering if he'd have better luck with it if we got a coffee grinder and ground the chia before he ate it?  I'm not sure.

Any advice would be nice...

Jbird

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Goblyn, re: your first question, I've noticed I don't seem to need as much sleep since starting the chia. I did have one night exactly as you described, but I attributed it
to having had wine. I don't drink very often, but I've noticed wine can cause me to wake up abruptly in the middle of the night as if it's time to wake up. If I stay in bed, it
generally takes about two hours to fall asleep again. I'm using the chia every day and not having this problem at other times, so it might be something else and not the
chia. Re: your second question, what your bf is experiencing doesn't sound normal, and it sounds like he should see a doctor.

goblyn

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »

Thanks Jbird.  He is a medical assistant, so of course despite the fact that he can just turn around in his seat and talk to his doctor, he chooses to keep this stuff to himself. 

I'm not really sure if he's still having any issues (I know it took a few days for my body to get used to it, but he doesn't really eat alot of whole grains in the first place so its possible that its taking even longer for him to get used to digesting seeds), especially since when he told me about it, I was like "you need to talk to the dr" and so now I think he's afraid to tell me anything else. 

Stupid guys!

I'll keep you updated if he's still experiencing problems, I just emailed him to find out.

lvivianka

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »

I have been adding chia for several years to everything - soups, meatloaf, chili, eggs, chicken, etc.  and have not experienced any side effects (waking up, etc). I use it in almost every recipe, but never straight from jar.

shovelqueen

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »

I added dry chia to my mid-morning coffee today for the first time.  It was fine.  I hardly notice the wee balls going past when I'm swallowing.  They are so innocuous.  I've taken to carrying a wee Tupperware container of the dry seeds in my purse to add to water bottles or whatever.  Easiest to transport SLD method yet!

"Strength, balance, joy!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18