Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
CHIA!!!!!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: CHIA!!!!!!  (Read 30354 times)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
CHIA!!!!!!
« on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »

As I somehow started the Chia fad, I suppose TalkingRat is right, I should make it have its very own thread.

For those who don't know, some of us have found that Chia seeds are an incredibly effective way to achieve AS, as well as giving you a healthy dose of fiber and Omega 3's.  Yes, we're talking about the same exact seeds that you use on the perpetual tacky gift; the chia pet.

Chia seeds can hold up to...I dunno, a HUGE percentage of their weight in water.  When you add them to water, they actually expand and turn into a gel.  Dry they look like run of the mill seeds, wet, they sort of resemble the seeds you see in a tomato, a tiny seed surrounded by a gelatinous glob of moisture. 

Per the instructions on my bag of chia seeds, I take 1/3 cup of chia seeds and add 2 cups of water, stir well and let them sit in the fridge for half an hour.  I have also successfully used black iced coffee (though the absorbtion rate is slower, takes about an hour to an hour and half).  Once the liquid is fully absorbed you can add it to beverages (I've been putting a few tablespoons of the chia gel into iced coffee, it has an effect almost like bubble tea), or you can simply eat it out of the container.  One of my friends puts it between peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and on top of eggo waffles (though he's crazy, I don't suggest doing this).

The AS effect is real, partially due to the nice dose of fiber and water you're getting, but also because we suspect anyways, that the chia seeds continue to absorb liquid while in your digestive tract.  This creates a feeling of continual fullness through the day.

meldawn

Re: CHIA!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »

Another possible way to use - I've been having good luck chugging a soupy chia gel (noseclipped) instead of taking oil or sugar water.  Chia is wonderful stuff. 

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7366.msg93706#msg93706

goblyn

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »

Oh I forgot about this thread!  It makes me miss m.c. though, she's disappeared! :(

TalkingRat

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:43:51 AM »

Meldawn, you need to post more.   :D   We gotta keep things like new discoveries at the top of the forum lists. 

Are you taking a whole 1/4 cup at once?  I have been using 3T gel, 3 times a day.   In the morning, it doesn't seem to matter if I have it in a window or not, but for dinner, I try to have some an hour ahead of time, for the full satiety effect. I had noticed that it was about as flavorless as SLD calories get, but because it's also very filling, I haven't been strict about a window.

I started posting my thoughts on chia, but my computer keeps locking up.  It was taken over by a virus last week, and is still not back to normal.  I'll be back when I have my data backup done and can breathe easier.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:34:05 PM by TalkingRat »

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »

OK i'm on the chia bandwagon! Found it at my usual heath food store, and they said it's very recent its introduction here in PT. Also ridiculously expensive! 3.75 euros for 90 grams (3 oz) - but I found a comment online that it can be found at pet food stores as it's also given to canaries and other birds, also good for human consumption but cheaper . I wonder! But I was very curious to start and bought the expensive kind.
So I have my first glass of chia water in front of me. It's a liquid gel already, been sitting there for one hour. But I'm trying to drink it with the seeds inside - is that OK? Because I thing it makes me gag... or should I strain it? I'm not sure what to do.
Anyway it it lives up to the expectations chia is a super food!
And to think DH was in Mexico a month ago. This must be much cheaper there :(
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Jbird

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

Goblyn, I've been reading about your chia experiments with interest and congratulate you on hitting a new weight loss low! I bought some chia seeds at a health food store today and will try using them tomorrow. I quit caffeine cold turkey four days ago, so this can be my new vice! Thanks for starting this thread!

meldawn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »

Goblyn - I LOVE the idea of putting it in coffee - that sounds yummy!  Am with you on MC - she was v. cooi. 

TalkingRat - Yeah, the whole 1/4 cup at once.  I was looking for an alternative to oil (am generally trying to minimize the degree to which my food is processed - with varying degrees of success) - and 1/4 cup of chia seems to be about the correct number of calories (275).  For me, it takes three or more cups of water to create a drinkable solution for this much chia. 

Pinkmug - Yeah, some folks have trouble with the appearance / texture at first.  If you're planning to drink it as described below - it might be helpful, at first, to (1) drink it out of an opague container, (2) use a straw, (3) start with one tablespoon in three cups of water, and (4) noseclip.  Good luck! 

General suggestions on one way to use chia as a replacement for oil - Find a large lidded jar / thermos that holds two quarts of water.  Fill it with three cups of water (not too cold - if you plan to chug it) and then put in a quarter cup of chia.  Quickly put the lid on and start shaking your jar vigorously for 10 seconds or so.  Over the next three or four minutes, pick it up again for another two or three more rounds of shaking.  At this point - the seeds should have softened - and you can chug it down!  I use noseclips, observe the two hour window, and (here iately) have been throwing in a little extra nutrition (maca, bee pollen, etc.) as well. 

Phoebe

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »

The AS effect is real, partially due to the nice dose of fiber and water you're getting, but also because we suspect anyways, that the chia seeds continue to absorb liquid while in your digestive tract.  This creates a feeling of continual fullness through the day.

Do you think it's absorbing liquid from your intestinal tract, or is it liquid that you drank when you ate the chia seeds?  I wouldn't want my intestinal tract to be sucked dry. :shock:  Is chia like psyllium, in that it's a good idea to take it separately from nutrients because it interferes with absorption of vitamins and minerals?  I'm just trying to figure out whether this is significantly different from psyllium (which I found a bit yucky to swallow) and what, if any, side effects there might be to the chia.  If chia really does provide Omega 3s, then I'd definitely be into trying it.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:04:39 PM by Phoebe »

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »

Thank you meldawn :)

More Q's...

Warning TMI

The seeds have started to emerge from "the other end", seemingly undigested. Shoul they be ground like flaxseed to yield the most nutrition?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

TalkingRat

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:01 AM »

My gel instructions say it's ready to eat in 10 minutes, but that more nutrients are released if you wait a few hours.  I like the gel a bit less firm, so I add a little extra water before the final shake, then refrigerate.  A gel serving size is 3 tablespoons, suggested 3x/day, or as an option, you can replace one serving with 1T dry seeds (taken with water).  When used to absorb excess stomach acid, Angela Stokes says to add more water 10 minutes later, because it will absorb from your tissues if there isn't enough water.  I’ll add her chia "Cheat Sheet" link below.

I usually spoon out the gel and eat with a spoon.  I have put chia gel in smoothies, and with cocoa as a tapioca-like dessert, and tried 1T dry (with water, per Angela's instructions).   I prefer plain gel, cold, as a snack or an hour before eating.  It is different than flax, with chia I start getting satiety signals by mid-meal.  And I've noticed when I take chia in the morning (when I'm rarely hungry) that each time I drink more water, I feel full.

It’s hard to be confident about  chia “facts” online.  Chia absorbs 9 times its weight (some say 'volume') … 12 times… 30 times.    One brand of chia, Salba,  has nutrient comparisons  for its headline claim that chia has 8 times the omega3 of salmon.  They use 100 g. from all foods.  But plant source omega3 has to be converted, and by most estimates, you can expect only 10-15% will get converted.   Besides,  not many people eat <4 oz. salmon, or 13T. chia.  A local researcher providing input to the FDA (when they made their recommendation about safe limits for animal source omega3 ) said omega3 content in 5 oz. salmon (he argues 3 oz. is not a typical serving size.) varies from 2 grams (farmed) to 18 grams (wild Sockeye).  Salba's nutritional info shows  3.6 g. omega 3 in 2T chia, twice what everyone else calls a serving size.

I could not find chia locally, got it on Amazon, which rotates sellers for free shipping, but sellers sometimes offer free shipping even when they aren’t the featured shipper.  My seller was therawfoodworld.com (Angela Stokes and Matt Monarch are well known in raw food circles).  Amazon had just raised the price, it was $15 for 2 lb., which at 3 servings a day, is supposed to last 2 months.  It's more expensive than flax, which I get locally for $3.38, a 21 day supply at 3T/day.  Therawfoodworld is one of the few sellers who offers certified organic, but since chia isn’t bothered by pests and doesn’t require fertilizer, I’m satisfied with the cheaper “chemical free” chia.   

I think a chia serving (1 T. dry, or 3 T. as gel) is 37 calories.  But nutritional info online is quite variable online. 

Angela Stokes chia link follows:
http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/

goblyn

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »

Pink, I've had the same experience, especially before the chia-related AS kicked in.  Now I think I'm eating so much fewer calories that my body is making a stronger attempt to digest the chia, so i don't notice it as much...lol.

Phoebe, the way I imagine it happening is that the chia in your system causes any water or other liquid that you consume after consuming the chia to kind of congeal and become a slower digested gel, thus keeping up the feeling of fullness for longer.  As TR pointed out they suggest you drink more water so the chia doesn't leech water from your digestive tract, which I think is in keeping with my theory.

I personally do not notice the chia absorbing more than 3X its weight in liquid.  When I put the chia in my iced coffee its already absorbed about 3x its size in coffee.  I put it in the container when I leave for work, and then don't usually get to drink any until an hour later.  During that time, it doesn't appear that the chia has absorbed much more liquid (but my iced coffee has milk in it, so that could hamper absorbtion).    I think the thing to do to really test it out would be to put a tiny amount of seeds in a huge container of water and then fish the seeds out and measure the remaining water to see how much is really absorbed.  Currently my chia soaking solution is to take 1/3 cup of seeds and put them in a container that can hold about 2.5 cups of liquid on top of the seeds.  So I haven't really tried more than that.

So far I'm finding chia is quite cost effective.  Unless you are doing meldawn's suggestion of 1/4 cup of chia daily, using it the way I have been makes a 1/3 cup last at least a week.

I'm still on my first bag of chia, bought at whole foods a month or so ago for $8 (USD).  I balked at the price initially but didn't expect it to last so long...

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

I'm very happy with chia so far!!!
And I'm definitely losing size... even my kids have noticed.
Well I take i teaspoon CO as breakfast, by lunchtime I'm not very hungry and eat tosatisfaction. Back home in the evening I eat if i'm hungry and take my chia in water or tea.
Yesterday I found out I prefer to soak it and then eat it by the spoon.
My bag label says: 2 teaspoon for 250 ml water, I'm just doing half of it - 1 teaspoon for 125 ml give or take.
The label says: more omega 3 than salmon of flaxseed - more calcium than whole milk - more antioxidants than blueberries - more fiber than wheat bran.

Goblyn how big is your $8 bag? Mine is 3 oz and cost 3.75 Eur (4.96 USD) it's organic, farmed in Mexico and packed in the UK. Th brand is www.sunandseed.com

goblyn

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »

I guess the US does have the leg up in the chia market:

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Essential-Chia-Omega-3-Fiber/dp/B003GT5TBW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1280850483&sr=1-16

On amazon its 6 something for 12 ounces, I know I paid 8 at whole paycheck, but that's usually how it goes.

I'm glad Chia is working for you Pink!!!!!

shovelqueen

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:56 AM »

My Chia was $12-13 (Canadian $) for a lb (454g).  Might be even cheaper at the bulk store, haven't checked yet.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

goblyn

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:58 AM »

I'm going to have to check out pet stores, if they sell chia even cheaper there....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18