Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gabriel Method

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gabriel Method  (Read 18270 times)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Gabriel Method
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:57:20 AM »

By popular demand, here's our Gabriel Method thread.  Feel free to discuss the ideas of the Gabriel Method, tips that work, things that don't, things that are funny or weird, or whatever!

goblyn

Re: Gabriel Method
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »

Okay now that I've got a moment, I'll start:

I personally have found my life is less stressful since starting GM.  Things that used to bother me alot (money, family issues, work issues) don't bother me AS much anymore.  Granted I still worry, I still have moments where I feel overwhelmed, but I do honestly find that I'm able to de-stress much more easily.

The CD, as I mentioned in TalkingRat's thread, is very helpful to get me to fall asleep when I'm tired (you know there are times when you are physically exhausted but mentally still wide awake), however, I have found that if I'm not really ready to go to sleep yet, the CD will eventually put me to sleep (I have only stayed awake through the end of the cd maybe three times in the time I've been doing GM), however, I end up waking up an hour or so later.  Sometimes not for very long, sometimes just for a few moments, but for some reason I feel like on nights when I'm not tired the best it does is force me to nap.  Which is fine really.

I also love doing the visualizations, when I can clear my mind enough to do them, or am enthusiastic enough to make it work (sometimes I feel like I'm just going through the motions).  The visualization of my perfect body is great, because I feel like I have a sudden visual picture of an attainable goal, whereas a number on the scale is more or less just a number, there's no visual correlation, I don't see myself getting thinner (until I have an OMG moment when looking at old pictures of myself), I just see the number going down.  But while visualizing, I actually see my body reshaping itself (albeit very slowly) into what my idea of a perfect body is.  I've noticed that my shirts are all getting bigger and my stomach seems less...blobby I guess.  Not tight or anything, just less like a big loose piece of skin.  I've also noticed my arm muscles getting slightly bigger.  Not remarkably so, but enough that I notice the difference with certain shirts, or when I'm washing up in the shower.  This didn't really happen to me before, I honestly would look in the mirror and see the same exact person every day, despite the fact that pictures prove that I've made a startling change from a year and a half ago.

Chia is a revelation, and probably something that deserves its own thread.  Chia has made a remarkable difference in my appetite.  There are days when I've had lots of chia seeds, and feel like I've eaten a huge thanksgiving dinner.  There are now days when I eat simply because I know I NEED to eat something more than chia seeds, not because I'm hungry or dying for some certain food, but to keep me healthy.  Truly an eat to live style scenario.

Oh for those who have been in suspense, my friend's OJ and Chia experiment failed.  I think its because he used high pulp OJ, but what ended up happening is that the chia absorbed all the water out of the OJ and left behind the orange solids, which he found to be particuarly gross.  Plus there wasn't enough water in the OJ to make the chia entirely hydrated, so it was kind of all stuck together and globby.  I think a better plan would be to use strained OJ or another juice.  Or alternatively to just soak them in water and add them to OJ, as they won't water down the OJ, they'll just displace some of the caloric content of the OJ with healthy chia.

My other really big GM tip is the whole eating food that is alive and healthy and vibrant thing.  By which he means raw veggies.  I have NEVER enjoyed fruits and vegetables as much as I currently do.  In fact, the idea of steamed frozen veggies just seems blah to me now.  On an average day a meal might consist of a piece of grilled chicken or steak, a pile of alphalpha sprouts, and a pile of raw pea pods.  I've also been eating salads like they're going out of style.  I hope I can continue this trend once growing seasons are over, as I will really miss my raw veggies now!  I have yet to chop up a piece of pizza and put it on top of a salad, but i have put salad on top of a piece of pizza!  It is remarkable how bland and uninteresting a meal with no veggies now feels!

Finally, I think that the best feeling is the escape from guilt over eating.  I used to spend the whole weekend pigging out on food because...I don't really know why, and then feeling like crap about it all week long, forcing myself to fast or eat as healthy as possible, just to start the whole thing over again once Friday night hits.

Now I'm still eating a little be more unhealthy than I was before (though as I said above, I've been having chia and raw veggies more than anything else), I might have some ice cream or pizza or a burger, but I remind myself that its okay, that its just food, I'm not going to die, I'm not going to undo all the work I've done with one ice cream cone, so I don't feel guilty and I end up not eating as much.  Its a weird phenomenon but its true. 

At any rate, GM has made me feel like I did in the first few weeks of SLD, before I got used to AS.  I can never remember what the difference between psychiatry and psychology are, I feel like one addresses the physical issues with the brain, while the other addresses the emotional issues with the brain.  Its like SLD addresses the physical issues by "tricking" the brain into lowering the set point, nourising it with omega 3s.  GM addressess the emotional issues in a way that SLD doesn't.  The two techniques combined...for me at least are really helping.

Now as far as things I don't like, I think some of the parts of the program, such as just letting go, and destressing and not weighing yourself and not worrying about things can easily be interpreted as a free ticket to just eat whatever you want, to not exercise, to not care about anything at all.  And while that's a nice departure from, say the Jenny Craig program or Atkins, where you are worrying constantly about things like carbs or calories, I know it can be problematic for some people.  I think if it weren't for my utilization of SLD in conjunction with GM, I'd be one of those people with the problem.  Its kind of like the way that when treating mental disorders, you can go on just medication, or just go to therapy or do both.  If you just go to therapy, you might find all sorts of peace with your problem, but you might physically have problems that therapy alone can't solve.  Or if you just take medication, you might have all these emotional issues hampering your progress.  So its through both that you actually get help.  I think that's important to remember if anyone is interested in jumping into GM.

Oh and one more thing, as Talking Rat mentioned, the GM forums are weird.  Lots of past life stuff, lots of people not weighing themselves so it appears that nobody is making progress, most of the advice you get is just "let go" which is really helpful, but doesn't make for a very interesting message board community!

NuLu

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

Thanks for the nice introduction to this thread, goblyn.

I have a couple of things to share about GM (One more acronym to be figured out by the newbies :)).
First of all, I don't have the book, neither am I following the GM rules strictly. But I have the evening visualisation mp3s that I listened to while going to sleep every night. It helps me fall asleep most of the time. But the more important thing is, I think, visualising myself thin. When I visualise myself properly for a few minutes, I get good AS that day. By properly, I mean both having a vivid image of myself thin in my eyes and feeling thin and fit. It is not so easy because the following things impair proper visualisation:
- Feeling bloated (as a woman with some excess weight I feel bloated most of the time),
- Having eaten too much (a full stomach does not feel fit at all, but still, I try to imagine myself as a thin person feeling full with a little belly)
- Wearing tight clothes (I have a pair of loose trousers that feel great to be in, I do not mean elastic comfortable stuff, I mean it is so loose that it sits below my waistline so I feel I lost weight-already making progress)
- Thighs rubbing against each other (pear shape :?)
- Stress etc. emotional issues
- Seeing myself in the mirror / seeing my thighs while sitting (My mind is too smart to be deceived  :lol:)

Under these conditions, I am trying my best to visualise myself thin. When I do, I feel better AS.

goblyn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »

NuLu, that brings up a very good point, when I was on a mini vacation with my kids this past weekend, I spent most of the time eating terrible food (it was an amusement park so the food selections range from fried to deep fried) and really just didn't do well with visualizations or feeling fit at all.  But what's strange is that prior to that, if I did my visualizations, and really just focused on my body being fit, I literally did not feel my stomach anymore.  I mean yes, if I touched it or looked at it I knew it was there, but just sitting and thinking about it, it really seemed like my stomach ended where my abs end (rather than ending several inches beyond that where the fat is).  Just now I kind of got that feeling back again.

Its incredible how something so simple as having a full stomach or carb bloat can change your perspective!

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »

Ok dear friends, I just completed a full fledged sleep study.  Amongst many other things, they found that my mind is not shutting off after I go to sleep.  The alpha wave activity continues on for a long time.  Do you think downloading the Gabriel CD might help me alter my brainwaves and let me get some decent sleep?  I go to sleep very quickly.  It only took 9 minutes for me to fall asleep despite the fact that I was all wired up and in a strange environment.  And that seemed like an eternity to me.  I normally fall asleep in under two minutes.  But I'd really like the sleep I get to be restful.  Thoughts?

T-Vix

shovelqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »

It's free.  You've got nothing to lose by trying.  The password you need to get it is "heart".

"Strength, balance, joy!"

TalkingRat

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »

I keep meaning to get around to morning visualizations, but haven't yet.   I got Belleruth Naparstek's book on guided imagery, and it helped me see the basis for her audios.  I've been listening to the weight loss audios, which my library had, but I got my copy free from Kaiser.   She has guided imagery and affirmations, both just under half an hour.  I prefer the guided imagery, my breathing changes as I relax.

Wow, T-Vix, never heard of alpha while you're asleep.  Didn't the sleep center give you any advice on how to deal with that? 

I read somewhere on Gabriel's site that the evening visualization goes from 16 Hz alpha down to 4 Hz theta.  One of Jon's admins wrote the post.  Other places that talk about brainwaves seem to start alpha at 13 Hz, with 16 being low beta.  And 4 Hz is low theta, on the edge of dreamless sleep <3.5 Hz.  I fall asleep so fast, I think he must drop the frequency relatively quickly.  The idea is that if you're on the edge of delta, you drift right there.  If your brain syncs to 4 Hz, it's certainly a better starting point than from alpha.   :lol:

You could also check into Jeffrey Thompson's audios, he has a lot,  but you have to be careful about ordering, because over the years he has repackaged the same audios with different covers, and other companies have sold them, using the same album name when they are just one CD.   Last I looked, you could hear samples at Amazon (of course), The Relaxation Company, and also at Thompson's neuroaccoustic site, see links below. 

I have Brainwave Suite (4 cd set - one is delta.  He takes you out of delta at the end, which wakes me up in a recliner, but not in bed) and Brainwave Symphony (not good for delta IMO, the classical music distracts) and the 1 CD version of Delta Sleep System.  I usually alternate between Suite Delta (two 40 minute tracks) and Delta Sleep System (two 60 minute tracks).  Both are relatively ambient.

http://www.relaxation-company.com/shop

http://www.neuroacoustic.com/sleepenhancement.html

Half.com has them cheap, often still in shrink wrap.  Or Amazon.   The "journey" collection is guided imagery, and weird, I would *not* start with that one.  If you get  "Symphony" I don't think you can count on the delta one for sleep, it keeps me awake listening to the music. 

http://search.half.ebay.com/jeffrey-thompson-sleep_W0QQmZmusic

tek_vixen

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

Yeah, TR, I was surprised that they said the alpha waves continued long after I fell asleep.  They didn't give any good suggestions, but they were far more concerned about the apnea.  This is going to be a long multi-layered journey.  One thing they did say is that some of the other things I'm experiencing could be reactions to the stress the apnea is putting on my body.  They want to treat the apnea first and then see what's left.  Now if I can just get up the courage to use that damn mask!

T-Vix

TalkingRat

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Sounds reasonable, T-Vix.  You've gone this far, wear the mask.   :lol:    Imagine what a good night's sleep will do for you. 

tek_vixen

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »

I'm really not just being stubborn.  I have bad claustrophobia.  I've tried twice to put DFi's mask on.  Both times it sent me into blazing panic attacks.  I'm scheduled for a follow-up study in two weeks; this time using the mask.  It will start with 2 Xanax, and then we'll see how it goes.  :shock:

T-Vix

TalkingRat

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »

T-Vix, sorry to hear that.  I hope they have a solution.  There is a cannula style version -- like this:

http://www.cpapxchange.com/cpap-masks-bipap-masks/cpap-masks-alternative.html

ETA:  I see that site says the full face mask is for claustrophobia.  They can't get around the tubes, but maybe one style will fit differently enough that it won't feel so invasive.  The "Mirage"  is another possibility, in the direction of less is better.

la-di-da

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 06:05:30 AM »

My brother had to wear a mask to sleep for his sleep apnea.
He discovered that if he could keep his weight below a certain point he didn't suffer from the condition.
He actually never gets past that point now.
I have no idea if that kind of thing would pertain to you, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

tek_vixen

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:53:13 AM »

The doctor and I talked about it and he told me the full mask is better for claustrophobia because you can breathe through your mouth.  With the nasal ones you have to keep your mouth closed.  And yes, the doctor also told me that if I can get the weight off it might get me to the point of not needing the machine.  Although I'm not sure how I'd know because I'm not aware of the episodes (mostly).

T-Vix

TalkingRat

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:26:15 AM »

I suppose you get tested again, or rent a home test machine, or have somebody stay awake while you sleep, or record your breathing sounds and listen in the next day.   :lol:

I think Jon Gabriel mentioned he doesn't need the machine now, but apnea is something he focuses on in both book and podcast, and I believe it was key to his own weight loss.  He also has suggestions for making sure the room you sleep in is totally dark.

tek_vixen

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »

I should probably get his book and get all of the info.  I really need to do something to improve my sleep.  Health issues aside, it's starting to affect my work.  I'm awaiting a 1:00 meeting with my boss for a beating about one of my projects.  So not looking forward to it.

T-Vix

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18