Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
General health impact?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General health impact?  (Read 23872 times)

Iansf

General health impact?
« on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »

One critic of the Shangri-la diet suggested that people who regularly use fructose or canola oil will end up with high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, diabetes and other health problems. Has anyone who's been on the diet for a while had blood and urine tests, etc. to see if there have been either positive or negative impacts?

frenata

• mustela frenata
Re: General health impact?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 03:41:08 AM »

I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks, but he won't be doing blood work this time. Blood pressure check; and I can tell you mine is way down, no doubt on account of having lost a few pounds. Maybe even down enough that he has to adjust my medication.

He's going to be floored by that. He said to me last time, sighing sadly (don't you love when they pretend to care so very, very much?), "one of these days, you're going to come in here and you're going to have lost ten or twelve pounds."

And I said, "if so, it'll be because I was in a horrible accident and I lost a leg."

It's a good question, anyhow. I'll be interested to hear if someone has had blood work.
Running weight tally:

SF

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »

As always, isolating one element of the diet as the smoking gun is not the answer.  Elevated triglicerides and/or blood sugar problems have many different causes, often working together.  You'd have to look at a person's whole diet and lifestyle.  Most westerners eat far more than 2 T of oil every day.  God help us, I can't imagine how much is in a serving of McDonalds french fries, or chicken fingers at your favorite restaurant, or that bloomin' onion or coconut shrimp or mozzarella sticks.  We eat lots of fried foods, and that is the worst type of oil because it has been heated to such high heat and the food has been submerged in it.  If I was one of the naysayers, I would focus on ridding our society of its deep-fried addiction and then worry about something like Shangri-La.  And don't even get me started on sugar consumption!

Taking a holistic look at one's whole diet; by eliminating fried foods and sugar and eating 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day, by doing these steps alone you will improve your health so much.  Add in a couple tablespoons a day of oil and/or sugar, and the benefits of your new way of eating will still override whatever negatives may come along with the oil and/or sugar.

People love to find a reason - any reason - to discredit something that seems too good to be true.  I think it's important for us all to educate ourselves about the different types of oils and their health benefits; to pay attention to our bodies and how they react to sugar; and to work on eating healthier.  But to say "this diet is bad because of x y or z" is just being too simplistic.

spacehoppa

• England
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »

I just wanted to mention, Frenata, that I too have had a huge drop in both blood pressure and pulse rate.

My blood pressure was usually about 140/85 - 90 and my resting pulse was about 100 - which quite worried me and no-one had an explanation for.

Since starting the SLD my blood pressure has dropped to 120/80 and my resting pulse is down to 78. How amazing is that!! Given that my dad died last year of a brain haemmorhage and my mum has had a stroke I am justified in having been worried about this. Not to mention being overweight myself with chronic inflammation and a permanently raised CRP (a marker for heart disease). This benefit of the diet may be the best yet  :D .

And I'm pretty sure that it's not weight loss because my blood pressure only went down in the past (on Atkins) when I weighed about 30 lbs less than I do now. Plus, I've tracked my blood pressure and pulse down over the last few weeks and it's been descending slowly, as if in response to the oil.

It's very strange, but fan-bloody-tastic if you ask me  :lol: .
Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

justme

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 05:43:17 PM »

Hmmm . . . where your blood pressure and heart rate were sound very similar to where mine are. My blood pressure has only risen in the last 1-2 years. It used to typically be in the 115/70 range. But my pulse has always been high, even when I was a runner, and this worries me more than the BP. My doctor is keeping an eye on my BP and HR. It would be great if SLD could reduce both of them for me.

justme

Jean-Luc

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 11:04:24 AM »

I just had blood and urine samples taken today for my bi-annual checkup.

I'll let everyone know once the results are in.

I have been on ELOO/Canola for about a month. It will be interresting to see if this has had any influence at all.

ChessieCat

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »

bumping for Jean-Luc's results  :)

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:12:51 PM »

i've been on SLD for nearly a month and i go in tomorrow morning for blood tests.  they'll be checking my overall cholesterol, lipids, liver enzymes among other things.  i will post with the results.

one thing i like about these forums is that people with both positive and negative things to say about SLD are here (and able to post here freely  :)).

i'm nervous about the oil's effect on my liver and crossing my fingers that my lipids are better.  will also have the nurse check my blood pressure as well.  as late as feb./march, it was borderline high.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:31:14 AM »

Oh I just noticed this thread
As I said on a different thread, my LDL is high, all the rest is within normal.
My liver enzymes are OK, within normal range.
I don't eat saturated fats, I don't know what's going on.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 12:12:50 PM »

i just had my blood pressure checked when i got my blood drawn this morning:

104/80

NORMAL!

since december its either been at the stage 1 hypertension level (140-159 or 90-99) or prehypertension (in between normal and stage 1).  i'm also taking a BCP that can raise blood pressure so that's why i've been monitoring it since the beg of the year.

now i'm crossing my fingers about the numbers that come back from the blood test.

i can't totally blame SLD for the improvement (just like i wouldn't totally blame it for any high numbers that come back).  i'm also taking panthenine and niacin daily as well as C and E.  but at least SLD is not making things worse.

YAY!

i'm also putting this in my progress thread.

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »

I go for my 6 month checkup and blood work in early August.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed like many of you.  Hypertension, high cholesterol, stroke and heart disease run rampant in my family.  My sister had a stroke at 45 (I'm 42).

I really need to lower my numbers so I will feel better about my future health.

Lower BP would be really nice!  (usually 130/78)

Outrayjust

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

How can we avoid Cancer

Only associate with Libras?

~Outy

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »

:lol:

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18