Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Help! Day 1:Major Dizziness, Faintness (Marijuana Interaction? Anyone had this?)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Day 1:Major Dizziness, Faintness (Marijuana Interaction? Anyone had this?)  (Read 12436 times)

aaa

I noticed a few posts on here casually mentioning dizziness/light-headedness, and those saying "it will pass". I'm just curious how intense people found these sensations and  how they tolerated them -- also, what explanation there might be besides the obvious -- because frankly my experience has been really frightening and probably a deal-breaker.

I just tried this yesterday for the first time, taking 1 tbsp of canola oil in the late morning and 1 in the late afternoon. For whatever reason (slightly sore/grossed out tummy after taking the oil?) I felt less like eating just about instantly and seemed to feel fuller faster and for longer.

Then in the evening I started feeling a little woozy and out of it, and suddenly got super light-headed and dizzy, like an intense head-rush that wouldn't go away. I tried to go to bed to lie down, and ended up slamming into the wall and falling down on the way, hitting my face rather painfully (but otherwise, thankfully, okay). This was super scary as I live alone and could have really hurt myself. I made it to bed and had a horrible loud ringing in my ears and the spins for a bit. I started feeling better after about 10 minutes (despite being somewhat in shock from falling like that) and got up to use the washroom; the same intense dizziness/nausea/vertigo came over me right away and I had to lie down again. Eventually I fell asleep. I woke up this morning feeling a touch out of it and very slightly vertiginous (I've never really had that before, but sounds like my partner's descriptions of vertigo).

I'd eaten about 1380 calories all day including the oil, which is a fair bit less than usual but not unheard of. (And included a healthy balance of protein, carbs, veggies, etc.. I've eaten this little in the past and felt fine, maybe a little hungry but nothing like this -- see below.) I had also smoked a small amount of pot and a cigarette. As I said, my stomache felt slightly touchy all day post-oil; by the evening I sort of felt physically hungry but a bit turned off food -- and also, literally, could not get out of bed (without nearly fainting) to get a snack (which, assuming this was a low-blood sugar thing, would have helped, right?).

Again, I assumed I felt dizzy from low blood sugar or something -- I understand that's common in "dieters" -- but I still feel weird today after a big-ish, healthy breakfast. What is going on!!?? How could oil cause this? Any ideas? Similar experiences? Would marijuana/tobacco somehow make a difference? (I already felt a bit odd before smoking, incidentally.)

Possibly Relevant Info: I'm 27yo, 5'6, about 145lbs. I've been losing weight slowly for the past couple of years (from a high of 180 to a low, last summer, of about 135) and recently noticed I'd regained 10-15 pounds since starting grad school. So I've been watching/counting my calories for the past week or so, and doing moderate regular exercise (walking or biking 1-1.5hrs a day), but nothing extreme. Just trying to eat a bit healthier, at or slightly below "maintenance" -- around 1500-1800 calories/day. (Usually closer to 1800.) I smoke pot regularly, about 4-5 days/week, and have experienced random dizziness -- though very mild and short-lived -- once or twice while stoned in the past, like years ago.

Okay, thanks for bearing with the long post and thanks in advance for any thoughts. I guess I'm feeling pretty upset and vulnerable about all this -- I usually take a walk up the mountain every day, and today I'm scared to go because of the slight faintness. (I guess now I know how some seniors must feel every day.) I also am having a bit of trouble focusing on school work. Basically, I can't see how this "side effect", if that's what it is, could ever be part of a sustainable lifestyle.

I also, frankly, have no tolerance for dizzy/queesy feelings -- I make myself even sicker thinking and worrying about it. So I was shocked when people were like, "yeah, dizziness, it'll pass". When will it pass!!?

Thanks.

Heidi 555

I would wait a few days for the dizziness to go away and then try a different kind of oil.  Also start with one tbsp and build up gradually.  Then there's also sugar water and nose clipping.  Your dizziness sounds more intense than what others here have had.  Good luck to you.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

aaa

Thanks so much, Heidi 555. I'd thought the same thing. Just to clarify, you mean 1 tbsp total/day, right? In which case, would that be split in half x2 times a day, or at once -- or does it matter?

Thank you!

I've looked around again and found a few comparably-intense dizziness/near-fainting stories, by the by. Seemingly all from other women. Also, relatedly, people reporting super-fast, sudden onset of hunger. So very strange -- I use more oil than this to pop corn, for goodness sake. Why!?

(Searches for "pot" have yielded only tasty-sounding stove-top recipes...)

karky

• Life is Good!

I have never felt dizzy after taking a dose.
I have gotten a fairly severe stomach ache, not what I would classify as nausea, but an actual stomach ache.

Vertigo can be caused by an inner ear infection.
or like you said, a blood sugar crash.

or maybe you have a virus/flu.  that norwalk virus has been going around near here.  They had to close several schools and disinfect.

I would definitely change oils.  Maybe just even the brand is affecting you.  A certain brand of olive oil makes me cramp up so bad all I can do is roll into the fetal position and hope it goes away soon.  :shock:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Heidi 555

There are two threads that I know of on marijuana and SLD.  Unfortunately people didn't post good follow up info.
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6455.0
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=1753.0

Lots of people have had problems with canola oil.  Maybe 1 tablespoon all at once of a different oil would be okay.  Just take it slow.  The people who I recall complaining of dizziness said that it did go away.  

I had problems with dizziness one time before I was on SLD.  I never did find out what caused it.  But I thought it might have been fom a sinus or inner ear infection.  It lasted on and off for a month or two.  Flying on a plane made it worse.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

aaa

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help. I'll post back with updates -- maybe in the general or other area, with a less etiquette-straining word count.

Incidentally, I looked at the F.A.Q. section and discovered, which now seems obvious, that a tablespoon is not a tablespoon -- mine turned out to be almost half  the standard measurement. I wonder if the difference in calories there would explain why I thought I had plenty of fuel in my system...

Polaroid Doll

aaa:

Two possible causes came to mind upon reading your post, one of which has already been mentioned.

1) Low blood sugar levels. Even though you ate a large breakfast, if you aren't eating sufficient carbs throughout the day, your blood sugar could drop to a low enough level to cause such a reaction.
2) Dehydration. I speak from experience with this one. Ears ringing, snow-on-the-television vision, feverish, room spinning, hitting-the-head-on-the-floor... all because I had been too busy one morning to properly hydrate. You didn't mention your hydration levels, but this is certainly something to keep in mind. I often come near to passing out when I stand up too quickly--again, drinking sufficient water decreases the incidence of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18