Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Biggest Loser?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest Loser?  (Read 36659 times)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Biggest Loser?
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »

Does anyone here watch the Biggest Loser?  I don't at all (partially because I think its totally impractical to take obese people, set them in extremely structured environments feed them hardly any food and make them work out 10 hours a day and then say "see, its so easy to lose weight" because all that is likely to happen is that these people will go home and gain it all back, and partially because it doesn't interest me at all).  Anyways, yahoo has a slide show of before and after pics for the current contestants, and I am totally wondering how some of the guys look the way they do.

You see, some of the guys currently weigh more than me and yet look totally fit and slender.  There's one guy who started off weighing 372 and now weighs 238, and yet he looks like he has a totally trim torso.  Maybe he's alot taller than me, but still, it doesn't really make sense.  Shouldn't he at least have a bunch of extra skin, especailly since the weight came off so quickly?  Is plastic surgery (i.e., getting extra skin trimmed off) part of this show?  Or is he just really really oddly fat in places where it doesn't show as well (such as, say, his calves?)  I just don't understand how someone can weigh 15 lbs more than me and look like he weighs 40 lbs less than me!

Is this a common phenomena?

TalkingRat

Re: Biggest Loser?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

I don't watch BL because I hate how it creates false expectations about weight loss rate and patterns.  Contestants make stupid decisions, using extreme changes in food and hydration to achieve a particular weight that week.  They are under a doctor's care but it doesn't mean they are making healthy choices.

But yes, exercise can make a difference.  Muscle is more dense than fat; pound for pound, fat takes up more space.  For a given height and weight, someone with a more muscular body composition will look smaller.  When I started exercising, I stopped losing weight, but lost two sizes.

ETA:  although this 'exact replica' of 5 lbs fat and 5 lbs muscle makes the muscle volume look way smaller, I've also read from a source stating muscle  is 18% more dense.   So what I see and read doesn't add up...

Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »

Well even accounting for, say a 50% decrease, I swear the one guy in particular looks like he should weigh, at the most 200 lbs, there is no way he's hiding 38 lbs of fat anywhere.  My guess is that BL, just like most reality tv is fake, rigged, and a big huge lie to the american public.  OY.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:04:29 AM »

i used to watch biggest loser - i had intended it to inspire me - but actually it works in the opposite way.  how is it possible to lose say 14lbs in a week???  it makes me feel hopeless that doing my best i barely lose 1lb.... and up again and down again....

terio

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »

how is it possible to lose say 14lbs in a week??? 

You know that I believe that it is physiologically impossible to lost that much in a week.  I have a feeling that it's mostly water weight.
You need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound.
That's an awful lot of exercise - I'd say about 7 hours of solid cardio - just for one pound!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »

well they do stress on huge amounts of exercise...how don't they fall down dead??? :lol:

VeganKitten

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:08:21 AM »

I believe that show is insane, and a lie, and really counterproductive for the average American to emulate.

Plus, there are a few success stories that keep it off, but I think I read that the majority of contestants end up gaining right back to where they were, or more, after the the show ends.

This article includes some telling quotes from contestants -- what they had to do in order to make those double-digit weekly losses. No thank you!
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/01/17/minding-the-media-the-impact-of-the-biggest-loser/

Here's another good analysis: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/biggest-loser/ <-- also, this looks like an interesting site to explore. Bonus internet points for me! ;)

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 03:21:56 AM »

VK thanks for the links - the second one in particular is very informative.

shovelqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:51:48 AM »

Yeah, me too, VK.  I've spent a few hours on MDA already. I like his exercise ideas.  And this morning, I went for a fartlek run, incorporating sprints into a 2 mile run.  It was fun. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »

a WHAT run??? :shock:  :D

VeganKitten

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »

Haha, and on reading further, our primal Mark eats a lot o' meat so his lifestyle is -- how you say -- so not for me  :lol:

shovelqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:04:48 PM »

a WHAT run??? :shock:  :D

Fartlek means "run play", or something similar in Swedish or Finnish or something Scandinavian.  It's a form of running workout with varying intensity, but unstructured.  Make it up as you go along.  Funny word though, eh? :lol:

"Strength, balance, joy!"

mrbarnett21

• Live Laugh Love
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:40:55 AM »

Does anyone here watch the Biggest Loser?  I don't at all (partially because I think its totally impractical to take obese people, set them in extremely structured environments feed them hardly any food and make them work out 10 hours a day and then say "see, its so easy to lose weight" because all that is likely to happen is that these people will go home and gain it all back, and partially because it doesn't interest me at all).  Anyways, yahoo has a slide show of before and after pics for the current contestants, and I am totally wondering how some of the guys look the way they do.

You see, some of the guys currently weigh more than me and yet look totally fit and slender.  There's one guy who started off weighing 372 and now weighs 238, and yet he looks like he has a totally trim torso.  Maybe he's alot taller than me, but still, it doesn't really make sense.  Shouldn't he at least have a bunch of extra skin, especailly since the weight came off so quickly?  Is plastic surgery (i.e., getting extra skin trimmed off) part of this show?  Or is he just really really oddly fat in places where it doesn't show as well (such as, say, his calves?)  I just don't understand how someone can weigh 15 lbs more than me and look like he weighs 40 lbs less than me!

Is this a common phenomena?

I have noticed that though someone maybe the same height and weight as you but they either look bigger or Skinner is simply because we have unique body frames. One person can have larger calves than you yet you guys are both the same height and similar weight.
Live Laugh Love
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18