Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Non-Addictive Food Diet

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Non-Addictive Food Diet  (Read 36078 times)

Heidi 555

Re: The Non-Addictive Food Diet
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »

Thanks for describing that visualization, TalkingRat.† Iíve done that kind of visualization before.† Iíll have to do it again.† Itís helpful.

WARNING: really gross and disgusting info to follow Ė continue reading at your own risk.

It would be wonderful to discover some simple and easily remedied underlying nutritional cause (of my sugar cravings).
Well, ah Ė this may turn out to be a simple and easily remedied underlying cause, but it wasnít what I had in mind when I wrote the above quote.  It turns out that I have parasites, roundworms to be exact.  One came out looking like a very dead piece of spaghetti.  Totally disgusting, but not as much so if it had been alive.  Before that I had had strands of mucus that I wrongly assumed were from psyllium, flax, or chia seeds. 

I did a lot of research on parasites.  It turns out that they are a lot more common than youíd think.  You donít need to travel to some far off country to get them.  Some people recommend that you get yourself (not just your pets) wormed regularly.  Hereís some info for anyone who wants to deworm themselves: http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/SpecificDiseases/parasitesintestinal.htm

My theory is that Iíve had them for awhile and that my dietary changes from following this non-addictive diet starting killing them off.  Iíve stopped feeding them the simple carbs and sugar that they crave, and have been unwittingly eating foods that harm them such as carrots, beets, black walnuts, and wild greens.  But I donít really know for sure.  I got some prescription medication.  I researched natural remedies, but it sounds like drugs work a lot better and are pretty safe.  Iíll be curious to see if my cravings lessen or if my health improves.  So far nothing has changed, but it might take a week or two to notice a difference. 

The new update to report with my enlightened tasting experiments is that the texture of some of my most addictive foods is starting to be less appealing.  Also, I keep thinking that something is going to taste really good, but then the flavor changes to unappealing really fast. 

So far my most addictive foods are things that go back to childhood.  They arenít the foods that I crave as an adult.  This is an unexpected discovery.  The things that I crave now have their roots in childhood addictions that Iíd forgotten about. 
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

TalkingRat

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »

Here's the second audio with Gloria Arenson, "Releasing Your Cravings and Compulsive Eating Habits to Lose Weight and Feel Great!"  I wasn't as impressed with this one, but here it is...

http://www.tappingworldsummit.com/live/mercola/greenRoom_day8_gloria.html

I hope you're feeling better. 

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 06:07:31 AM »

Wow Heidi, that's crazy.  You're right though, parasites are WAY more common than people think.  In the US we're taught in schools that parasites affect poor third world nations and that's about it, but the truth is that there are so many ways to catch parasites that have nothing to do with drinking water or tainted food.  If you have pets or have even just set foot on a farm, chances are you've exposed yourself to parasites.  The good news is that in the US we have access to medication and clean foods so most people who have parasitic infections end up getting rid of them naturally (by eating food that is not contaminated, and thus preventing further infestations) or inadvertantly (such as taking an antibiotic for a sinus infection, or other medication that kills them, or like you said, eating food that naturally kills them).

I agree, some of the "natural" cures for parasites can have worse side effects than the parasites themselves.  My uncle had gone through a crazy health food phase where he was taking wormwood capsules, as he was convinced he had some sort of parasites (wormwood is a natural herbal remedy for parasites, hence the name, also the ingredient in absinthe, well a variety of it anyways), and they were causing him to have all kinds of interesting reactions, the worst of which was he had some sort of allergic reaction to it, the stress of which triggered an outbreak of shingles!

Anyways, hope you get rid of them soon!  Its nice to know we live somewhere you can easily get treated for it though!

Heidi 555

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »

Thanks TalkingRat and Goblyn for your support.  This is definitely powerful motivation for eliminating sugar and simple carbs from oneís diet.  Without realizing it Iíve been following a good diet for parasite elimination.  It works.  Now if I can just start to feel better. 
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »

:shock:
hope you soon get rid of them and feel great again.

Heidi 555

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »

Thanks nougat!

Just a quick update to say that I've been feeling much better.  My energy is back to normal (I'd been feeling really tired) and the wired/restless/stressed feeling that I had went away.  However, I still have the same level of appetite and cravings, which due to the pms time of the month is a lot.  I guess my cravings are hormonally based, not due to parasites. 

I'm off to the beach for the weekend to celebrate my parent's 50 wedding anniversary.  There will be lots of food!  I'm curious to see what temptations I've lost my cravings for.
I'm 5' 4.5"

TalkingRat

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »

Glad your energy is back.  Have fun at the party. 

Heidi 555

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »

Thanks TalkingRat!† Iím still feeling better and sleeping so much better.† Iím going to do another round of deworming.† Iím still seeing questionable things.

The celebration went well.† I decided to let go of all nose-clipping and enlightened tasting for the 3 day event.† Also, I decided to exert no will power and just let the 3 days be a natural test of where things are at with my non-addictive diet.

Day 1: I ate a very healthy sandwich on multigrain bread.† It was delicious!† I think it was the first sandwich that Iíd eaten since I started the diet.† I was not at all tempted by any of the afternoon snacks that everyone else was feasting upon.† At dinner I had no desire for the roll, or any of the pasta or potato salads at the salad bar.† My lobster was delicious.† But then I ate french fries.† I havenít deconditioned french fries at all!† There was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, which didnít taste good at all to me Ė yay!† But there was also an unusual almond flavored Boston cream pie kind of cake for my nieceís birthday.† It was unlike anything that Iíd deconditioned and it tasted good.† I ate a few slices.

Day 2: I ate a sandwich wrap, lots of vegies, and a bit more lobster and crab meat.† Once again I wasnít tempted by all the junky snacks.† But then I pigged out at the anniversary dinner.† Lots of stuffing, sweet potato fries, roll and butter.† The food was exceptionally good and I overate.† I ate until I was really full but not to the point of discomfort.† Then more of that birthday cake later.

Day 3: A muffin and stuffed shrimp leftovers for breakfast.† (I usually never eat breakfast.)† There were 3 kinds of muffins.† One tasted yucky, another so-so, a third kind was good.† I probably would have like all 3 before I did any deconditioning.† My cravings were ramped up from all of the previous nightís indulgences.† The rest of the day I consumed more leftovers but didnít over indulge.† I didnít like the feeling of cravings being ramped up.

1st day back: relieved to be back home to my usual eating patterns.† Carb cravings are still ramped up.† I had a roll with butter and some crackers.† The rest of what I ate was healthy and non-addictive.

2nd day home: I feel like Iím back to where I was before I left.† I was pleasantly surprised by how fast I returned to my usual groove.† I was worried that Iíd be craving bread and carbs for days, but that didnít happen.†

So I was a bit disappointed that my deconditioning didnít hold up better than it did.† But compared to previous family gatherings I did exceptionally well.† It actually was a shock to see how much junk everyone consumed.† In general I ate less.† I was more aware of how detrimental junk food is and yet dismayed at how easy it is to get hooked back into it.† My brother and nephew have type 1 diabetes.† †I couldnít help but feel that their diet was especially bad for their diabetes.†

My deconditioning of chips has continued to hold.† Iíve definitely made progress with chocolate, which is huge.† Ordinary bread doesnít seduce me, but certain kinds of bread still suck me in.† Itís somewhat daunting how many flavors and kinds of desserts there are.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

fbnops

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

I was more aware of how detrimental junk food is and yet dismayed at how easy it is to get hooked back into it.† My brother and nephew have type 1 diabetes.† †I couldnít help but feel that their diet was especially bad for their diabetes.†

I am reading a book on diabetes: "Dr. Bernstein's Complete Diabetes Solution".† Bernstein's recommendations for a diabetic diet are more conservative than the American Diabetes Association recommendations, and are very much along the lines of my current ideas of a healthful diet for myself.† Bernstein also recognizes the addictiveness of "treat" foods.

LittlePlum

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »

Interesting thread...

I recently read a book by a British nutritionist called Zoe Harcombe, along similar lines to your addictive foods idea, Heidi.

Her diet involves eliminating all processed foods and eating meals where you never eat starch and fat together as a method of controlling insulin response (you could eat brown rice and veggies in a tomato sauce for one meal for eg, then steak and veggies for the next).

She's also big on food intolerances (something I don't have much knowledge about I must say) and her thinking is that a strong craving for a food signals that in fact this is a food that your body can't cope with, or that signals a problem within your system. For eg, sugar addicts often have candida overgrowth. She also says that at the beginning stages, whatever you feel you simply cannot live without - that is the foodstuff you really need to eliminate! For me this would be sugar...and coffee! Her method is to follow a short but very strict intro diet whereby you work out if you have any of these food intolerances, then gradually add foods back in while keeping to her no fats with carbs rules.

I know several people who have felt very well and lost a fair bit of weight following her advice.

I definitely think that certain types of food keep me on an addictive cycle of eating - refined sugar, white foods, juices rather whole fruits etc. I've always felt "at peace" when I have managed to sustain longer periods of eating wholefoods and cutting back on grains.

I am not familiar with the deconditioning process you mention, but I will now beetle off and do some research!

Heidi 555

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:52 AM »

Thanks fbnops.† Iím assuming that Dr. Bernstein recommends a lower carb diet.† Low carb seems especially important for diabetics.† It seems wrong to recommend otherwise as Iím assuming the American Diabetes Association does.

Thanks LittlePlum for detailing Zoe Harcombeís diet plan.† Not eating starch and fat together is definitely a good idea for lowering the addictiveness of foods.† Fat really accelerates the addictiveness of carbs.†

So far for me strong cravings = strong opioid addiction.† Perhaps there may also be a food intolerance component to some of the things that I crave.

I am not familiar with the deconditioning process you mention, but I will now beetle off and do some research!
I just made up the deconditioning process that Iíve been writing about.† But let me know if your research turns up anyone else doing something similar.

UPDATE: Things are continuing to go well.† These past few days Iíve been offered bread, rice, and noodles.† I had absolutely no desire for any of them.† This would have been unheard of for me before I started this non-addictive food diet.

I talked to my friend who had lost (and then gained back) a lot of weight on SLD.† She was inspired by what Iím doing and is going to give it a try.†

I realized recently that I needed to decondition combinations of foods.† For example, Iíve successfully deconditioned my cravings for peanut butter and have made good progress with chocolate, but when combined together they are still addictive.† I need to decondition them in combination as well as separately.† Heightened combinations of foods are almost like a completely new item flavor wise.† So this week Iíve been adding butter, cream cheese, or chocolate to all the foods that Iím deconditioning.

I also wanted to mention that even though I am very optimistic about being able to heal my life long addiction to sweets and carbs, I still have many moments of discouragement.† My level of commitment is really strong and Iíve had promising results so far.† I have absolutely no desire to return to what I was doing before.† But it is a long, slow, gradual process.

Also I feel a little bad writing this, but I havenít been completely happy with my weight.† Iíve been maintaining my goal weight of 120 pounds but my body composition is slightly more fat and less muscle than it was last year.† I havenít been exercising as much as I use to.† And I didnít exercise at all for a few months due to exhaustion from what turned out to be the parasites.† Also, Iíve been bloated all the time lately.† It might be from the heat (it has been a hot summer) but I think itís mostly hormonal.†

I was thrilled with my body and weight for an entire year.† I would love to get back to feeling that way again.† But I want to continue the non-addictive diet experiment without any pressure to lose more weight.† Also, right now Iím enjoying exercising purely for pleasure, not because I have to achieve some goal.† Iím not inspired to push myself to exercise more.†

Itís interesting how easily we forget.† Even though I spent almost all of my adult life being 15-30 pounds heavier than I am now, I honestly can not remember what that is like.† A new standard has been established, and now once again Iím not fully happy with my weight.† But overall things are good enough.†

I also started working on some emotional/spiritual conditioning.† Iím trying to condition myself to surrender more and not overreact to things.† Itís been an interesting process so far.† Perhaps Iíll write more about it when I have more time.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Heidi 555

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

Well, I should rename this diet "The Parasite Elimination Diet".† Unfortunately my worm saga continues and has intensified.† I think I've passed well over a hundred worms.† I've passed at least one every day for weeks.† On some days it's been 4 or 5.† My doctor sent a sample off to the lab to be identified and it came back negative.† From what I've read online, labs in this country are really bad at diagnosing parasites.† I'm awaiting the results of samples that got sent to another lab.† A five-year-old looking at what I'm passing would go, "eewww what's that worm doing in your poop".† It's pretty obvious even though they're dead and deteriorated to one degree or another.† Also, no one has given me any other viable hypothesis on what else they could be.† I have nightmares of one coming out alive, but then it would be easier to get it tested by the lab.† They couldn't call it negative if it was alive and kicking.† I've had lots of cramping and intestinal distress.†

But I'm also beginning to realize that it's the worms that are causing my cravings.† Healing my food addiction should be simple if I can manage to eliminate the parasites.† I'm also concerned that they've migrated to other organs.† Also, the medication that I've been taking doesn't kill the eggs.† I have no idea how long this is going to take.

I had no idea that I had a parasite problem until I started this non-addictive food diet.† I think I've been living with them for a really long time.† Parasites love junk food and simple carbs and rich fatty foods.† No wonder why platinum calories didn't work for me.† The worms love cream.†

I think that they are at the root of a number of chronic health conditions that I have.† I highly recommend that everyone do a parasite herbal cleanse or take a yearly round or two of dewormers.† All animals are regularly dewormed, but not humans.† I think that the entire U.S. medical system is in denial about what a problem worms are in this country.† I don't want to scare anyone, but I'm sure that I'm not the only carb addicted person who has parasites as the cause of their addiction.† I had no signs that I had them until I eliminated all the food that I craved.† I wouldn't have been able to do that without the enlightened tasting.† My cravings sometimes take the form of intense screaming hunger for a something that seems reasonable like a sandwich with cheese and mayo.† I don't know how they're able to convey their hunger like that.† It's pretty remarkable.† I don't like to kill anything.† It's not in my nature.† But it sure is creepy knowing that there's tons of live wiggling worms inside of you.†
I'm 5' 4.5"

Sanchiaza

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »

Gosh, Heidi, I'm really sorry that you're still struggling with the worms. Certainly it's been a wake up call for me to deworm regularly.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 03:48:06 PM »

Heidi,

Have you tried herbal remedies?  I've heard that thymol, a natural extract from thyme, is particularly effective. Here is a link to "30-day dewormer" based around thymol and other herbs, such as wormwood and black walnut:
http://www.herbsistah.com/pages/parasite_dewormer.html
and Wikipedia indicates it is effective against hookworm (as well as handling mould infections in bee colonies  :D :D -- thought you'd like that!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thymol

Strangely enough, while looking around, I came across something called "Helminthic therapy" which deliberately infects people with parasitic worms...advocates claims that this is a type of "probiotic therapy" that is effective in treating autoimmune disorders.  Sounds pretty strange to me, but perhaps it works with the right type of worms. Just something to think about before you rid yourself of them worms.  But I could well understand just wanting to be rid of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy

Todd

Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

Heidi 555

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

Thanks Sanchiaza.†

(Also thanks Elisavet if you're reading this.† I sorry that I haven't yet responded to your post on my other thread.)

Congrats on achieving your weight loss goal Todd.†

I am familiar with helminthic therapy.† Unfortunately, I have the wrong kind of worms and way too many of them.† I have a number of autoimmune diseases, which my worms are either making worse or not eliminating.† I think it's near impossible to completely eradicate the worms.† I'm just hoping to greatly reduce their numbers.†

I usually treat myself with herbs.† But a lot of the deworming herbs are toxic to one degree or another.† Plus I had the feeling that I really needed something stronger.† My feelings were confirmed by a number of herbalist whom I really respect.† I will switch to a maintenance dose of herbs down the road once I'm sure that the worms have been greatly reduced.†

I'm familiar with the thymol used on the bees.† It's really strong smelling stuff.† The bees hate it.† But maybe it's better than other chemicals used on them.† I like thyme.† So that might be a possibility.† Different foods and herbs are good for eliminating different types of worms.† It's been hard to find specific info on which foods or herbs are best for which type of worm.
I'm 5' 4.5"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18