I seem to have developed an allergy to tree nuts recently. Eating at a friend's place yesterday, just a few nut pieces in food may have given me a killer sore throat. I've been reading about desensitization, which has been successful for eggs and peanut allergies, but it's not yet in clinical practice. It looks like that might be a viable treatment. So I'm thinking about creating a desensitization protocol of my own. Any thoughts for me?
My plan: Wait for my sore throat to subside and then start with the smallest piece that I can cut off a sliced almond (e.g., as sold at Trader Joe's), and take at least a week to go through that sliced almond, and increase dose once every week or two, and keep a log. Does that sound reasonable?
Background, for the interested: I have always had a mild nut allergy in that small amounts of walnuts and large amounts of almonds would make my mouth pucker, go numb, or itch, but last summer I was depressed, trying to lose weight, feeling sugar-addicted, and blah, and there were a few days where I ate a full pound of nuts, and then got a really sore throat and felt listless. And ever since then, I have felt sick after even a small amount of nuts.
Also, anyone else interested in joining?