Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Overcoming nut allergies

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overcoming nut allergies  (Read 11506 times)

shemsheli

Overcoming nut allergies
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »

I seem to have developed an allergy to tree nuts recently.  Eating at a friend's place yesterday, just a few nut pieces in food may have given me a killer sore throat.  I've been reading about desensitization, which has been successful for eggs and peanut allergies, but it's not yet in clinical practice.  It looks like that might be a viable treatment.  So I'm thinking about creating a desensitization protocol of my own.  Any thoughts for me? 

My plan:  Wait for my sore throat to subside and then start with the smallest piece that I can cut off a sliced almond (e.g., as sold at Trader Joe's), and take at least a week to go through that sliced almond, and increase dose once every week or two, and keep a log.  Does that sound reasonable? 

Background, for the interested:  I have always had a mild nut allergy in that small amounts of walnuts and large amounts of almonds would make my mouth pucker, go numb, or itch, but last summer I was depressed, trying to lose weight, feeling sugar-addicted, and blah, and there were a few days where I ate a full pound of nuts, and then got a really sore throat and felt listless.  And ever since then, I have felt sick after even a small amount of nuts. 

Also, anyone else interested in joining?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: Overcoming nut allergies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:40:09 AM »

I absolutely love the idea of desensitization with nut allergies (speaking as the father of a child who has to eat nut free lunches) and wish more people would give it a shot. 

I would suggest that you take whole raw almonds (which if you are allergic to them, would be the form that would create the biggest reaction) or ground raw almond butter to use to desensitize  I suppose if you were really wanting to be scientific you could put a small amount (with other filler, say wheat flour or similar) in one of those empty gel capsules you can buy at health food stores, and take it that way, then you'd have more control over the amount.

But any way you do it, I'd make sure that you are with other people when taking your almonds and tell them before hand what you are trying, just in case you suddenly develop a SERIOUS allergic reaction.

I'd be really interested to see how this goes for you.  My grandmother developed an allergy to peanuts late in life, she has been hospitalized with bowel obstructions several times and the doctor finally linked them to her PB consumption, which is sad because she LOVES peanut butter.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »

make sure someone is with you in case you go into anaphylactic shock.
sometimes allergies can turn from mild to severe with no warning.

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

TalkingRat

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »

make sure someone is with you in case you go into anaphylactic shock.
sometimes allergies can turn from mild to severe with no warning.

That would be my concern as well.  Not that having someone with you is any guarantee if your throat swells shut.   

Ainsprid

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »

I would like to give this topic a little kick :) I never read this before, but I am very interested!

I wonder if shemsheli has properly tried this method already. I have heard of the method before,
but I'm not sure if I could try it myself, because if I do eat nuts, I will go into anaphylactic shock.
That is why I'm not sure I can still overcome the allergy. On the other hand, I'm allergic for several
things, so reducing/overcoming an allergy at all would be amazing for me! I've always loved pets
like dogs and cats, but I'm allergic .. I'm allergic to almost every kind of fruit, but they give me a
mild reaction (however! I have only tried most fruits just once, because I reacted to them. Having
something you have already reacted at once, will cause a more severe reaction)

Any ideas? :)

multitasker

• Pharmacy Pacific
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

Nut allergies are fairly common and at times but sometimes they can also be life threatening.

Nut allergy can be that dangerous if exist without a fast medications online. My friend told me that when you have a nut allergy, eat a little amount of it each day until you became immune with it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:02:05 PM by multitasker »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18