Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
like an ice cube in a sauna!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: like an ice cube in a sauna!  (Read 23038 times)

fbnops

Re: fbnops -- 2 months gone
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 04:33:20 AM »

Very interesting to see the butter theory getting some credibility. However, straight butter or butter in a drink does not sound that tasty to me.  I like it on nuts, eggs and seafood; bread, potatoes and all being off-limits.  I purchase these meals size portions of smoked salmon, I'm going to try a little melted butter on that.

My last "monthly update" -- although written more are less on time -- was about two or three weeks late being posted. We are coming on my "official weight day" again very soon.  I have started losing weight again, after two months of zero loss.  The people who said it comes in it spurts & chunks know what they are talking about.

TalkingRat

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »

Glad to hear your weight is on the move again.   :D

fbnops

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »

Weigh day is tomorrow, expect a full report soon

jenniferleia

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »

Looking forward to seeing how you have done  :D

fbnops

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

Happy days are here again !

I'm calling it 4 lbs. for the month, with my official December weight being 194. It seems I was watching my weight hover between 197 and 199 for all of October and November, then suddenly "BAM".

The night before Thanksgiving I felt unusually hungry; ravenous. I had an extra serving of yogurt or something, satisfying the hunger. Then I remembered it often seemed some of these Shangri-La weight losses were accompanied by just such an unusual hunger. Checked my weight the next morning and sho' 'nuff, it was down. I know I've read about this from others also, but would still like to hear more about anyone else experiencing this.

Pulled the belt in another notch. Saw my toes without bending over for the first time in several years. Still taking the oil and eating a diet that would make a cardiologist cringe.

In the past, while gaining weight, I always tried to show a little control, usually by not eating between meals. Consequently, I had very regular mealtimes and was always on-time-for-meal-time! I still stick to mealtimes, but if occasionally a mealtime slips an hour and a half its no big deal, no inconvenience and no nagging hunger.

fbnops

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »

January 2011 report

My weight is still trending down but I'm only going to take a 1 pound loss this month, calling it at 193 pounds. I have taken my belt in another notch. The swelling continues to go down.

I saw somewhere where Seth wrote this forum had had a huge upswing in hits recently. Does anyone know anything about that?

Almonds are still the one addicting food I have yet to shake. I have taken the advice of purchasing them in the shell to slow down my consumption, that was good advice. I think that almonds are a healthful snack but it bothers me they have to go in the category of addicting.

At work, we have picked up a job for a local doughnut franchise. Whenever any of those folks come over for a meeting, they bring about three dozen doughnuts. There are only seven people in my office, including myself. The youngest is pushing 40 there is not one of us there who could not stand to lose a few pounds. It's both humorous and sad to see my coworkers drawn to the doughnuts like moths to the light, and I remember the sensation myself. Although I would never have gone and purchased any doughnuts, it was impossible to pass them by when they were there free on the table, for the taking. I see all my coworkers succumbing to the same struggle, but not me :-)

In fairness to my coworkers, and both sweet and sad, when the three dozen doughnuts are not gone at the end of the week, someone with young children will take them home to their family.

I think of the oil as not only an appetite suppressant but as a medicine that suppresses cravings for those sweet starchy foods. Willpower in a bottle !

toadkid

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »

I think of the oil as not only an appetite suppressant but as a medicine that suppresses cravings for those sweet starchy foods. Willpower in a bottle !
Amen!

Started 8 Oct 2010. First goal: lose 80 pounds.

fbnops

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 04:40:22 AM »

February 2011 update

My Shangri-La/low carbohydrate dieting experiment has run a year now. My weight has gone from 235 to 193 pounds. I began the diet in desperation, having an unhappy vision of aging with ever-increasing obesity. Hunger was constant. Although I had previous success on low carbohydrate dieting, there was an uneasy feeling that it was heart unhealthy. Although knowing intellectually those carbohydrate laden foods were addicting, I had backslid to a diet laden with starches and sugars.

I've always thought that anyone that had any sort of an epiphany had a screw loose somewhere. That being said, I've had an epiphany on diet this past year. It's probably largely due to seeing my mother's lifelong struggle with diabetes unhappy ending.

I'm very happy with the Shangri-La diet but at the moment I seem to be on a plateau. I'm stuck in the low 190s, can't really claim any weight loss this month. I'm calling it 193 again. It's hard to say anything definitive when I suspect my scale has a two or 3 pound variance in its readings.Even though the scale is not showing any progress, my belt went easily to the hole that it had been just shy of for several months.

fbnops

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2011, 05:19:17 AM »

March report

195 pounds a two pound gain. Not happy about that. I have been very regular with the oil and have stuck to the low carbohydrate lifestyle I'm kind of mortified at this plateau after my earlier success.

Somehow I think nuts particularly almonds are my trouble. They causes more cravings than anything else I eat. I'll be finishing dinner and thinking no nuts tonight and then find myself driven to have some 20 min. later. I'm not super overindulging, I've been purchasing almonds over the Internet in the shell and shelling them as I eat, it's not like I'm eating handful after handful of shelled almonds. I'm almost out and have not reordered but nuts, in general, are so addictive it will be hard to avoid purchasing them in the grocery store.

As I wrote last month, our doughnut client brings us three dozen doughnuts about once a week there being seven of us in the office. I don't partake but remember well how difficult it would've been to walk by them a year and a half ago. Our office manager had some blood work done recently. Her report listed high risk of metabolic syndrome. Her husband gave her an audio book I think titled something like Dr. Atkins Diabetes Revolution no more doughnuts for her! In about three days she has become as rabidly anti-carbohydrate as I am.

I had my yearly physical this week and should have some test results in 10 days or so. I will write about them next month. I was disappointed to learn my yearly bloodwork did not include the A1 C. I thought even nondiabetics got that test. Seems to me it sure would be a good indicator of where you stood.

fbnops

like an ice cube in a sauna!
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:13 AM »

Running late on my April report. This new thread is a continuation of "Fbnops-- Two Months Gone" in the "Four Weeks or More" area.

March was routine blood work month, I turned up with high cholesterol. The doctor didn't seem too worried about it, didn't get serious with me about it. He volunteered to put me on statins. Thinking back, I don't know that we had enough data to know if it was moving up or down. It has been several years since I had a fasting blood test. I had a significant weight loss over the past year so my heart attack risk balances out :o) up from the cholesterol and down from the weight loss.

Of most interest my thyroid test revealed I needed an upward adjustment to my thyroid hormone (I've been treated for hypothyroid for a number of years). Among the symptoms of hypothyroidism are elevated cholesterol and difficulty losing weight/tendency to gain.

So somewhere between some additional thyroid hormone and ever fewer carbohydrates I have dropped a few pounds this month. Let's call it a 4 pound loss to 191 pounds. Recall the last few months have been tough, no weight loss. It seemed to me I was disproving both Shangri-La and ketogenic dieting all at once - was really getting frustrated.

The above note was my April report which I drafted a couple weeks ago but procrastinated posting until now. At that time I had been on the increased thyroid medication for approximately 2 1/2 weeks, which is when the 4 pound weight loss occurred. Based on the couple of weeks since then, I'm looking at a good month coming up in May. I'm dropping weight like an ice cube in a sauna!

fbnops

Re: like an ice cube in a sauna!
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 04:41:21 AM »

May update

We are going to call it 186, a whopping 5 pound drop for the month! Remember, this is my 1st full month on the increased thyroid hormone which seem to kick start my weight loss in April. However, the loss came the 1st week of this month. I have been stuck on/plateaued/set pointed at ~186 for about 3 weeks.

I CAN'T STAND these plateaus! What if I cannot lose anymore weight? Patience in this matter does not come easy. I keep trying to dream up some other method to accelerate the weight loss. And the thing is, if I tried something new and experienced a weight loss, I would not know if the experiment were responsible or if it were coming anyway, due to the oil and low-carb regime.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18